Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2006, 04:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post
This is why I was shocked when she said that she uses the left leg to brake! And apparently no one at the driving school that she attended looked at this aspect.
If she braking with left foot, how does she handle a situation where you have to downshift (with clutch) and also depress the brake. Now dont tell me shes doing heel and toe.
Old 29th December 2006, 09:23   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
If she braking with left foot, how does she handle a situation where you have to downshift (with clutch) and also depress the brake. Now dont tell me shes doing heel and toe.
Even I was wondering the same thing. How does she handle downshifts ?
Old 29th December 2006, 12:47   #18
Senior - BHPian

emergency break#2

I happened to break my indica with my left leg, that turned out to be a sudden break, as my left leg is used for clutch, which normally i use for a quick gear shift. Later i felt that breaking with left leg is a second option for emergency break !!! lol
Old 29th December 2006, 13:08   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
How'd she manage at traffic lights and stop/ start situations or she needs to halt while going uphill, she'd let the engine stop or first get in to neutral before reaching for brake ?.
I know some who stop the car (engine running), engage the handbrake, rev like crazy and then let the hand brake go. I got one of them an automatic.
Old 29th December 2006, 13:20   #20
BHPian

AT may be still ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
I know some who stop the car (engine running), engage the handbrake, rev like crazy and then let the hand brake go. I got one of them an automatic.
With AT the situation may work, even then using left foot for brake and right for gas pedal seems troublesome to me. I think the best thing is to get them practice in using right foot for braking.
Old 29th December 2006, 14:51   #21
Senior - BHPian

An incident , funny but wasnt that funny at the time of incident.

I had gone to one of the Clubs in my place since they were inviting all the club members for a Test Drive of Civic both Manual and A/T . As per schedule I was supposed to get my TD at 3:00 Pm , they called me and asked me for manual / Auto and I opted for the latter since its got 'paaaddless' any way Its 3:00 PM and promply they came and took me and I noticed that someone else was already in the car testing it . We then took the shortest route to NH . After entering NH he slowly let loose the reigns and starts going fast . I was happily grinning looking at the way the speed is climbing nice and smooth . And then the unexpected happens , the car slows like crazy as if it had been hit from the front when there is nothing ahead but a long unending road to a horizon , I was shaken and then we get banged from back by an auto . The test driver had his two ***** hanging from the mouth , now dont imagine that scene but any way its wasnt very funny . Finally he starts blaming the car not realising the idiot had actually JAMMED the brakes thinking its a clutch , I dont know how they settled it out but at the end of the day I came back feeling a dud , Should have opted for a Manual TEst drive daamn it !
Old 29th December 2006, 22:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
With AT the situation may work, even then using left foot for brake and right for gas pedal seems troublesome to me. I think the best thing is to get them practice in using right foot for braking.
true, maxbhp just gave an example why we shud not do that.
Old 2nd January 2007, 10:16   #23
BHPian

Latest update:

Sis took out the car last evening, and claimed to have transformed (using IT lingo here) completely, using only the right foot.

And then she admitted that the only fault in her driving last night was that while parking, she forgot to put the car in neutral before releasing the clutch and the car jumped to a halt!

My poor Siena!

Superavi
Old 5th January 2007, 02:54   #24
BHPian

Really sweet of you to risk your car and your bones while your sis learns to right foot brake. Do let us know when she starts doing the heel-toe thing.

My gf who's just learning to drive often asks me if she can drive. But in Bombay traffic I always refuse and it sparks an arguement.
Old 5th January 2007, 03:05   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hillarious story ruperavi!!!LOL!!!

I have a strong feeling your sis conned u
Old 5th January 2007, 21:30   #26

I have been using left foot for braking all the time i was in US as most of the car are AT. But i do use my right foot here in India. I feel in MT tht u need to hit the brakes with the right than hit the clutch with the left so that the engine keeps running.
Old 5th January 2007, 22:45   #27
BHPian

AT or no AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykul View Post
I have been using left foot for braking all the time i was in US as most of the car are AT. But i do use my right foot here in India. I feel in MT tht u need to hit the brakes with the right than hit the clutch with the left so that the engine keeps running.
It is AT or no AT most of the guys around the world use right foot for braking. Having AT will only reduce the trouble one encounters in left foot braking since there is no clutch. Even in US for AT or MT the practice is to use right foot for braking. Its a different thing you got used to left foot braking there.
Old 6th January 2007, 20:51   #28

sreenivass vbmenu_register("postmenu_349114", true); - Even in US for AT or MT the practice is to use right foot for braking.

I don't really agree with you in this regards. As almost all of the people drives AT, the driving schools prepare people with left foot braking and right foot acceleration. Correct me if i am wrong.
Old 6th January 2007, 22:16   #29
BHPian

Even with AT its always right foot braking

Quote:
sreenivass vbmenu_register("postmenu_349114", true); - Even in US for AT or MT the practice is to use right foot for braking.

I don't really agree with you in this regards. As almost all of the people drives AT, the driving schools prepare people with left foot braking and right foot acceleration. Correct me if i am wrong.
Even with AT it is always right foot used for braking in US. Infact many driving instructors make it a point to clarify this, the simple reason being brake & gas pedal need exclusive attention.

A few links on why this can be dangerous....

Left-foot braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Extra info - Right foot on the brake pedal

Last edited by sreenivass : 6th January 2007 at 22:21.
Old 7th January 2007, 21:14   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, you are wrong. I have driven extensively in USA (nearly a decade) and I have never heard of left foot braking.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks