Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2007, 22:13   #31
BHPian

Agreement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, you are wrong. I have driven extensively in USA (nearly a decade) and I have never heard of left foot braking.
Absolute agreement here . I learnt car driving in the United States and drove cars for quite a few years. It was a shock to me to learn some people do left foot braking whether it is in US or India.
Old 7th January 2007, 22:24   #32
BHPian

imagine in panic , you press hard both on the brake and the accelerator if you are prone to left foot braking
Old 7th January 2007, 23:02   #33
Senior - BHPian

I do use Left Foot braking at times in my car when I'm really pushing her on an open,twisty stretch but in normal traffic no. However whenever I drive AT's it's sort of natural for me to do left foot braking!
Old 7th January 2007, 23:45   #34
BHPian

HAHA, you guys should try left foot braking on my Studebaker, its got a central throttle!! (clutch on left, throttle in the middle and brake on the right) thankfully the throttle pedal is a different size and shape to the other two. a Lagonda M45 in delhi has central throttle and all pedals are identical!!
Old 8th January 2007, 16:26   #35
BHPian

Hey Awini,

I know I'm going , but a write up of your car will be much appreciated.

And the others,

Sis drove today, for about 120 kms. She's much improved - has done a lot of practice before trying today, and did the stretch without a hitch.

BTW she's after my blood for having posted this incident on T-BHP!

Supeavi
Old 8th January 2007, 16:38   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superavi View Post

Supeavi
, I can understand becuase I just asked her if she used left or right foot, She told me that she uses left foot, but asked me why I asked that funny question, when I showed her this thread, she started fighting( as usual...) saying you think I am a fool and underestimate me.... :(((
Old 8th January 2007, 17:56   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Awini,

I know I'm going , but a write up of your car will be much appreciated.

SA - Awini is an old friend & I referred him to the forum. Here's a pictorial I did on his Studebaker:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/vintag...ion-delhi.html

Enjoy!!!!
Old 8th January 2007, 19:02   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Supeavi
Tell her that the mods removed her photo you had posted initially. That should put her mind to rest.
Old 14th May 2007, 14:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
...He said braking with left leg is not very natural after driving manual. He was using right leg for gas-pedal and left leg for brake, just like the Hyundai dealer told him.
While driving an Automatic, even I used to use my left leg for brakes. I dont think its a problem. Coz I think for an Auto, once you depress the brakes, it sort of engages the clutch, so the pedals will remain mutually exclusive, unles you press the gas pedal also. I dont think anybody with a sane mind will do that when the Auto is in a 'D' position.

Quote:
...He said braking with left leg is not very natural after driving manual. He was using right leg for gas-pedal and left leg for brake, just like the Hyundai dealer told him.
And yes, I am leftie, so that may be adding up

Last edited by adya33 : 15th May 2007 at 02:54.
Old 22nd June 2007, 11:43   #40
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I've been using the 'Heel and Toe' regularly with my Palio 1.2 for almost 2.5 yrs. I am finding it very useful in keeping the car control in steep inclines where the 'Half-Clutch' doesnt hold the car especially with a heavy Palio.
But I'm yet to use the Left foot braking. I've tried a couple of times, but all trials ended up either in Over-Revving the engine or making the car a sharp stop.
I dont think 'LFB' can be of real use unless in Rallies where a split sec is precious while cornering.
Any comments please?
Old 22nd June 2007, 20:17   #41
Senior - BHPian

I feel that using the left foot to brake isn't quite a wise thing to do. As pointed, the chances are, both feet kick out in a panic situation, and the car's gonna swerve or skid around,and cause more of a burnout.

my wife's started driving..and she uses her left foot to brake.. !! well, i've tried correcting her, but once she decides.. its over & done with.

( i just sent her the link.. Left-foot braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )..
God knows what the reaction's gonna be.. I hope to be able to continue posting on TBHP,i.e..if i'm let off with my life.. ..hehe
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:32   #42
Senior - BHPian

Super: I read this post today and nearly died laughing. What an anecdote man. Will never forget.

And Hats off to Bugs..Hope she is not a blonde.....

Quote:
My sis has had a licence to drive for sometime now. She and I work in the same company in Pune, and we travel on weekends to Badlapur (near Mumbai) which is home. She had never driven on the express highway before and I asked her to drive - actually she's a little low on confidence in driving (thank goodness for that) and wanted to drive on the highway and gain some experience.

So we enter the highway, and after the food mall/petrol pump she takes over my Siena's controls. We're going okay for sometime, the major activities being that she's keeping the car between the painted lines, sticking to and about the speed limit of 80, cursing a Scorpio which weaves from her right to the left and then again goes to the right lane, and a GJ registered Civic which blows past.

Suddenly she asks "What leg do you use to brake?". I say (without thinking) of course the right leg. If the right leg is not pressing the accelerator, it hovers about the brake pedal to ensure that I'm ready to brake. And we drive on until it strikes me!

"Which leg do you use to brake?" Without batting an eyelid, or taking her leg off the gas she says "the left". I was a little shocked, told her that that was incorrect, and she needs to use the right leg.

She says ok. And we nearly banged into the back of a bus!

We were on the bridges in Lonavla with sharp curves, luckily not doing too much (about 50 kmph or so) and we had to slow down as a bus was taking the curves alongside a truck. I began to notice that there was no let up in speed, and the rear side of the bus was fast approaching! I say loudly "Bugs (that's her name, short for bhargavi), Brake!!", She nods, and the rear looks ever so closer! "Brake, what are you doing??" We get real close, and then with about 15 feet to go, we brake and she's back in control.

She says (coolly) "arre yaar, i was trying to brake with the right leg"

I (wiping the sweat on a cool winter evening) "so did you manage to hit the brake with the right leg?"

She shakes her head, accelerates and says "no, Left"

Superavi
Old 23rd June 2007, 12:43   #43
Senior - BHPian

My sympathies are with you, Nitin..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitin View Post
I feel that using the left foot to brake isn't quite a wise thing to do. As pointed, the chances are, both feet kick out in a panic situation, and the car's gonna swerve or skid around,and cause more of a burnout.

my wife's started driving..and she uses her left foot to brake.. !! well, i've tried correcting her, but once she decides.. its over & done with.

( i just sent her the link.. Left-foot braking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )..
God knows what the reaction's gonna be.. I hope to be able to continue posting on TBHP,i.e..if i'm let off with my life.. ..hehe
Old 8th August 2007, 19:39   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Well, you are wrong. I have driven extensively in USA (nearly a decade) and I have never heard of left foot braking.
I do agree, normally people use just the left leg to operate both A-pedal and the break.
How to drive an Automatic Transmission car in The AnswerBank: Motoring
Old 8th August 2007, 19:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoy_tharakan View Post
I do agree, normally people use just the left leg to operate both A-pedal and the break.
On which planet?

leftrightleft

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks