Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2018, 13:03   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interesting Driving Test Experiences

2005: My car driving test was nothing short of a Anurag Kashyap's realistic movie or drama series. Everything was pre-planned, my driving school had done all the 'payments' to concerned people, slots were booked, I just had to sit in one of the Santro, didn't put the car in first gear ! just reversed it in straight line for about 20 feet and I had the license with me in 10 days. My test was done in less than 2 minutes flat !!

Of-course, the driving school I enrolled in was pretty good and the guy who trained me for a month was knowledgeable so learning the right way of driving wasn't problem, but still, for something as crucial as a driving test, it was appalling to know that everything was 'sorted out' by shoving the right amount of money in the right pockets.

But as I hear from my colleagues, now-a-days its become tough to crack the first theory exam and also the practicals at Pune RTO. People do flunk the tests once or twice so I am bit relieved to see that things are improving.

Last edited by NiInJa : 13th July 2018 at 13:04. Reason: removed whitespaces
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 14:59   #32
BHPian

Most of my friends had got their 4 wheeler driving licenses at the age of 18 along with their 2 wheeler ones without even giving a test. I chose to not go the illegal way and decided to only get the 2 wheeler one at that time, and get the 4 wheeler one when i had my own vehicle to drive. Since then i was used to hitching rides with friends and didnt feel the need to get myself a car, with biking being the main motive.

15 years later i felt the need for a car for purely safety reasons in Bangalore traffic. I went to a driving school back home just to get myself acquainted, and the driving instructor said i would need 10 hours of training, to which i replied in a positive. The classes started and 30 mins after the first ride, the instructor asked me if i am from Dubai or Amrica. I gave a No, all the time surprised, and i later came to know that he was shocked why a person with good driving skills was being trained again. I take this opportunity to thank the countless video games which has subconsciously sharpened my driving skills.

The D-Day of the road test started at 7 AM in the morning when i was picked up by the Driving School instructor and taken with 3 other people to a test range outside the city limits. The place had a poorly constructed "8" and "Z" testing tracks. After successfully managing to clear the practice sessions i was in the backseat silently chuckling to myself when a 40 year old Woman and 18 year old boy were unable to keep the car in motion or within the boundaries.

The tests started at 9.30 AM and our driving instructor was a laid back guy asking all the other driving schools to finish their tests, and my turn came up at 12 PM. Not knowing it would take this long, my breakfast was restricted to a pack of biscuits! The inspector sat in my car and told me take the "8" and then reverse back in the "8". I then heard a shriek from the inspector cautioning me that i was about to go over the boundary stone, to which i "like a boss" told him to not worry as i was seeing it in my OVRM and i had it covered. There was a tense silence in the car which had 2 more people waiting for their tests, as i seemed to have over ruled the driving inspector. After a few seconds of a stare, the inspector chuckled saying it was good to see a confident driver for a change! I passed the test and one month later i was licensed to kill (umm drive)
ananthacharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 15:31   #33
BHPian

Well, both my 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler driving tests were really not tests in their own meaning.

2 wheeler: Inspector was standing at a distance of 50 feet and called me to come to him in the 2 wheeler - Kinetic Honda. I thought he was asking me to come to begin the test and went to him. And that's it! He signed an okay and said it's over Good thing about Kinetic Honda is that you get a motorcycle with gear license for it.

4 wheeler: I though this was going to be a real tough one as I had only 20 days (1 hr duration) of driving practice from the school. The testing lane consisted of a straight and a left turn which is kinda like a hair pin bend but a wider one, then came a steep of about 5 feet and you reach the starting point. Unfortunately I wasn't able to practice on the test lane due to time constraints. The inspector sat near me and asked me to move. Stalled in first attempt and he said never mind and to start again. This time the car moved ahead and he asked me to stop at the end of the straight. I stopped and he asked me to go in reverse. I engaged reverse gear and turned around to look in the rear windscreen and he said, enough test is over. Guess the turning back did the trick

And it was real fun watching the 2 wheeler license aspirants being unable to complete their 8 and getting kicked out.
emkay.india is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:42   #34
BHPian

My Indian DL was unfortunately done in the way which does not make me proud now and it costed me (or rather, my dad) 5 bottles of Old Monk from CSD. Why 5 and not one? It is so because I was one among the 5 applications put in by Army MT (military transport) park representative for getting licenses for 5 army drivers

Went to a Mumbai RTO (can't remember which one), showed my face and came back.

My next DL in Indianapolis hopefully redeemed me. But that too took 3 attempts - the first one meant I always ended up stopping a tad ahead of the stop lines and my instructor's feedback was that I was braking too late. I was probably braking the India style.

My next attempt was much better but then I missed giving right of way on my very first turn. I immediately turned to my instructor and asked her if I flunked. She advised me to carry on and that I did so with the hope that my excellent performance on rest of the test may melt her heart. Was not to be and I did flunk.

Before I started off on my third attempt, my instructor said to me - "Rishi, I really do want you to pass" All three times, I had the same lady as the instructor and it was getting to a point of familiarity which you would not want in a DMV. Anyway, three is a charm and I got my license!
Hells Bells is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 16:59   #35
Senior - BHPian

Reading through Bhpians' experiences, it is clearly seen that 99% of the drivers were not actually tested, per se. While most of us may have developed into responsible drivers over a period of time, either through passion or because of commitment, the same cannot be said of the lakhs (perhaps crores) of common folks who have got their cards by way of cash. For, it is a sad truth that driving tests - specially those midwived by the driving schools - are just routine drills. The ones who venture on the adventure of procuring the licences on their own too are subjected more to harassment than to a proper skill test.

Ergo, the weakest link in the chain of road travel in India is and will remain, the driver.
dailydriver is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 17:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Once I had gone to an RTA office on some work. I came across an acquaintance there. He was supposedly there for 4 wheeler license. He asked me for a car to drive for the test. I said I came on a bike and suggested he ask one of the driving school guys. After some showing off of attitude he approached a guy and got his car.

His attitude was condescending and haughty. He was high strung too.

He revved the car, spun wheels, and shot away. Irritated, the MVI asked him to drive again. He drove again, sensibly. Then, as he approached the U turn, he revved the car and made a sharp turn. He lost control of the vehicle and it hit a tree near-by.

He actually knew how to drive. He wasn't a new bee. His attitude did him in.

OT : A guy was stopped by police and was asked to produce documents. He gave them his Aadhaar card. Flummoxed, the Constable asked what the heck was that. He replied that Aadhaar was proof for everything.

Last edited by simplyself : 13th July 2018 at 17:56.
simplyself is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 18:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
OT : A guy was stopped by police and was asked to produce documents. He gave them his Aadhaar card. Flummoxed, the Constable asked what the heck was that. He replied that Aadhaar was proof for everything.
The model citizen per our central government's agenda. He has truly bought into their message and living their dream.
Hells Bells is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 20:26   #38
Senior - BHPian

I applied for the rather dubious 'two wheeler w/o gear' licence (eyeing our 1986 Kinetic Honda DX) our as soon as I turned 16. I was told in no uncertain terms that this licence was meant only for two wheelers less than 50 cc, but it fell on deaf ears. It was a paper licence issued at Calicut RTO in 1999 and I took the '8' test in a borrowed Bajaj Sunny

Come 2001, I had my test for the 'full grown' licence through Anand Driving School, Calicut. I remember during test runs (I had already learnt to drive in our Omni) the old instructor used to say this strange dialogue at every junction - "Look out for Karunanidhi on the left and Jayalalitha on the right"!

On D day for the two wheeler test, I had the duty (or should I say honour) of ferrying the instructor's Bajaj M80 to the test grounds a good 10 km away, without so much as a helmet in those days of ignorance! The car for the 'H' test was again the instructor's - A Maruti 800 so tuned that it idled high enough to never stall, however half-hearted be the throttle input. Talk about creep function ahead of it's time!

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 13th July 2018 at 20:37.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2018, 23:39   #39
Senior - BHPian

My tale wasn't confession. Or guilt trip. After logging more than six lakh kilometers, I can confidently say I have not failed the system.

The fact that I had undergone a test for my renewal is in itself both a testimony for the system and my atonement for what I did a couple of decades earlier.

If the first instances of I getting two licenses without a test was a privilege of living in a small town where everyone knew everyone, my willingness to go through a fresh test itself was a testimony for my supreme confidence that I wouldn't flunk at any test they might had thrown at me.

This is not a system failure. It's a collective failure of a society which doesn't accept the fact that rules apply for one and all.
I will never be ashamed of the way I got my first licences because I knew I wouldn't breach the standards of being a good driver.

Last edited by simplyself : 13th July 2018 at 23:49.
Old 14th July 2018, 03:52   #40
BHPian

I got my driving license at 21. I had not learnt driving a 4 wheeler properly apart from a few lessons from my Dad in his Armada. I actually went to the RTO office for a 2 wheeler license and while filling the form a person came near to me and said I should opt for both, 2 & 4 wheeler license. I said that I don't have a 4 wheeler with me for the test and also don't know how to drive properly. To this he replied back that the gentle-man sitting in the CJ-4 parked in front of me would take care and I just need to pay an extra Rs100 for using the vehicle.
I don"t even remember the test for getting the 2 wheeler license but the one for 4 wheeler, I still remember it quite well. I was very nervous when I got into the vehicle and didn't even look at the person sitting next to me. The Inspector asked me to drive on the curved road which I think was in a shape of 8. I cranked the vehicle, slotted the 1st gear in and pressed the accelerator a bit to much, yet the vehicle behaved well and went I off smoothly. Then while making the U-turn, I was carrying a bit more speed and hence under-steered. And again the vehicle some-how magically got controlled. At that moment I looked at the gentle-man sitting next to me on the co-driver seat. He just smiled and looked at the controls that he was operating which helped me nail the test.
I was so nervous even after getting off that I didn't even thank him properly. This post is a small token of thanks to him.
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2018, 08:26   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Well this is not about my driving test per se.

Two of my eider cousins went for their driving test to police station. They were being tested for car and motorcycle. As it was in middle of summer vacations I sort of tagged along. While waiting for the inspector to come I was curiously looking at the bike and asking all sort of questions about the Jawa.

Imagine to my surprise when one of the cousin offered to let me ride. So here it was inside the police station that I drove my first bike when I was all of fifteen. When inspector came he just signed the forms without any test and then looked at me and said "Chore sadak pe chalayee to andar kar doonga" (Don't let me catch you driving on road else will put you behind bars).

This was way back in 1972.

Last edited by sudev : 14th July 2018 at 08:28.
sudev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 09:54   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

I've taken three(in fact, four) driving tests over the last 30 years

1.For my Luna in 1989 - paid Rs.10 at the Court Treasury, applied for my LLR and got it the direct route. Then paid Rs. 25 at the Treasury, stood in the queue at the RTO with my application only to realise that they accept only 20 applications a day. I was among the 5 waitlisted guys and called on priority the next day.

On Day2, my application was accepted, the 8 done successfully but I forgot one of the MV rules that the Inspector asked me; so rejected and called again. Second time on Day3 was a breeze. The license was for one category - motorcycles, and was valid till 1994. It came to me by post.

2. Joined a driving school at Surat and drove a rickety Padmini. The test was uneventful where I had to do a straight 200m and take a U turn at a very busy junction. No issues whatsoever but the inspector hauled up another test driver for not adjusting his mirror. This driving package cost me Rs.750 and it was mentioned upfront that I'd need to give the driver Rs.21 once I pass the test.

3.Got both the licenses into one at the time of renewal and ended up doing geared two-wheeler LLR and a test again at Surat - this one was on a geared scooter.

I've got a little over a year before my license comes up for renewal.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 11:48   #43
BHPian

1992: Two wheeler: I got this in Kerala. No test. No "8" maneouvre. Asked to come to RTO "after" the tests are over to sign the register that I have attended the test (I went through a broker, not driving school). Before that itself i knew driving very well. But the MVI had a brain flash and got scared. What if he had given a DL to a fellow who does not even know how to move the vehicle? As myself and broker were moving out of the Office, the MVI was rushing after us and caught up. He asked me"Do you have a bike?".
I told "Yes, I have"
MVI: " "Where is it?"
I : (pointing it out in front of RTO): "There it is"
MVI: "Take your bike, go to that traffic signal, make a U turn and come back here"
I did that and you should have seen the relief flooding the MVI's face!

FOUR WHEELER: At the ripe old age of 45, I went for car licence. I learnt through driving school. THis time all are pucca. I was asked to take a H. My driving school made me take this countless times and the dimensions were kept same as test ground. I could have taken that blindfolded, ok, I completed it without fuss.
Next is road test. MVI occupied passenger seat and driving school instructor at the back. I took the car smoothly through 1st,2nd , 3rd and 4th gears. Then MVI asked me for a hurried stop. He was watching whether i was down shifting and then stopping. And also whether I was giving a hand signal which was delayed by a bit,but he didn't mind. I was through! (May be my aged look helped?)

Last edited by srikanthns : 15th July 2018 at 11:52.
srikanthns is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 11:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Long long long back, one of my relatives asked for advice from his student about a good driving school, so that he can learn driving. The student came to his home within a week and handed over his driving license, profusely apologizing for the delay. But my relative hasn't touched a steering wheel ever (passed away recently at the age of 85). He was a college principal then, and his student was the District RTO that time

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanthns View Post
..... Then MVI asked me for a hurried stop. He was watching whether i was down shifting and then stopping. And also whether I was giving a hand signal ....
Oh my goodness do we need to do this? I would fail for sure if I go for the License Test now

Last edited by jinojohnt : 15th July 2018 at 11:59.
jinojohnt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2018, 12:11   #45
Senior - BHPian

Good thread.

I recall my first driving test experience at Kalyan RTO. I had joined a driving school which gave me enough practice and at the D day we (a group of 25 persons from the same driving school) were being asked to demonstrate our driving skill with 4 persons in a single car since the crowd for license seekers was quite huge that day. I was given the task of being behind the wheel and hardly drove 10 mtrs (put the car in 1st gear and moved the car and before I could engage the 2nd gear), the driving test was over.

The book type Licence was issued immediately.

Later when I went to get a licence in Thane RTO for gearless 2 wheeler, I had to go a rigorous test like to "8", turns left and right, braking etc.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks