Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2018, 10:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Crackdown on improper number plates

Thanks to Deric Mathew for bringing it to our notice. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP page!

Crackdown on improper number plates-boss_number_plate_8055.jpg

Motor Vehicles Department (MVD) officials in Kerala have cracked down on improperly fixed number plates. Vehicle owners with irregular number plates were fined and asked to produce their vehicles with properly restored plates.

The state witnessed heavy rains recently. As rainwater flooded the streets, it was observed that many vehicles had their number plates missing, suggesting that the plates weren't fixed properly in the first place. This prompted the Ernakulam RTO to crack down on such vehicles.

An RTO official told the media that motorists don't even bother to fix the number plates properly and most can be easily removed with bare hands or regular tools. Some vehicles had numbers printed on stickers that were simply inserted into plastic frames, which then washed away with the water.

In such cases, the vehicle owner can be charged under Section 39 of the Central Motor Vehicles Act for not displaying the registration number in the prescribed manner and charged a fine of up to Rs. 2,000. Those found violating Rule 50 of the Central Motor Vehicles Rules could be charged a fine of Rs. 100.

Source: The Hindu

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 09:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Crackdown on improper number plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
An RTO official told the media that motorists don't even bother to fix the number plates properly and most can be easily removed with bare hands or regular tools.
Can't any regular number plate be removed with a screwdriver? How is it supposed to be fixed then?
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th July 2018, 10:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
Can't any regular number plate be removed with a screwdriver? How is it supposed to be fixed then?
Number plates at least in Chandigarh have been issued and fixed by the RTO for over 4 years now. It's probably the only city where this law is followed to the hilt. The plates are manufactured and fixed by a contractor who has a designated place where the work is done. They use Aluminium Rivets to fix the plates to the vehicle. They rivets are thin and they lock the plates with the vehicle body.

Only way to remove them is to use a drill with a small and fine bit to drill out the rivet. It's ugly and painful and I guess that is the intent anyway.
Traveler is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2018, 17:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

While adhering to the law is imperative, the RTA fixed number plates too get washed away easily.

I have seen numerous vehicles whose RTA number plates are faded if the vehicles are washed regularly. This happened within an year.

My number plate was ripped off in a pool of water while travelling through it. I went to the RTA for replacement. They had no clue about replacement and suggested that I fix a plate myself. I mailed my predicament to the RTA but didn't get any reply. I proceeded with fixing a fibre plate.

Point is, there is no mechanism for issuing a replacement plate if the first plate is lost / damaged.

Dramatic/illegible plates, of course, are to be curbed.
simplyself is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 00:28   #5
BHPian

Cops in Dewas, Madhya Pradesh too have apparently started a crack down on illegal number plates.

Apparently a team led by a woman police officer seized several vehicles with illegal number plates. What is heartening to know is that even vehicles belonging to politicians and local heavy weights were not spared.

Link to the news below:
https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/m.dai...d-99006699/amp
Old 12th October 2018, 08:21   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

My cousin had the number plate fixed by the dealer and it got washed away during the flood. Wonder who will be held responsible here .
Old 12th October 2018, 09:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
An RTO official told the media that motorists don't even bother to fix the number plates properly and most can be easily removed with bare hands or regular tools. Some vehicles had numbers printed on stickers that were simply inserted into plastic frames, which then washed away with the water.
A lot of cars had the front number plates missing during the floods. Especially the ones with plastic frames. Only the frame is fixed to the bumper with screws, and the number plate is held by the clips on the frame which gets overwhelmed when a bit of water fording is done. My brother-in-law and I visited a few camps during the rain in his Duster AWD and lost the front number plate like that.

PS: By the way, I can't help but call out the Swift above isn't a ZDi. The missing wiper, the key hole being the obvious clues.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 09:37   #8
BHPian

There is a specification for vehicle number plate defined by RTO /RTA in every state in India. But some places they are following it and some places, it s taken very lightly.

At least, we team-bhpians should follow this specification.
Old 31st July 2020, 07:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cake Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
...Also note the new UK style plates which I feel is a nice nod to it's English roots.
Seriously? Of all the areas to exhibit enthusiasm you replace a number with an alphabet on a registration plate? This would make it a fake number plate and any government official who takes into his head to create trouble will easily succeed. In addition there will be a lot of eager media just waiting to get publicity out of this. This is especially so after the recent viral video.

Here is an exact similar case as this - only one digit was altered.

https://www.google.co.in/amp/s/www.c...-arrested/amp/

Revealing the intention to resemble a UK number plate is not a good idea. Confine enthusiasm to areas where one does not invite trouble. I would suggest the pics with the fake number plates and the intention to resemble UK number plates be edited out of this post.
AMG Power is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 11:19   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Seriously? Of all the areas to exhibit enthusiasm you replace a number with an alphabet on a registration plate? This would make it a fake number plate and any government official who takes into his head to create trouble will easily succeed
What number was replaced with an alphabet?

TN01AS0155 became TN1A S155. Just the zeroes were omitted, nothing was replaced.

If we had any intention of concealing the registration or ownership information, I could've simply blanked the plates, right?
Scorcher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:11   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

TN01AS0155 became TN1A S155. Just the zeroes were omitted, nothing was replaced.

If we had any intention of concealing the registration or ownership information, I could've simply blanked the plates, right?
I believe the correct protocol is TN01, not TN1
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Check the Morth Rules in this regard. The second TWO digits refer to the sequential number of the district. 1A does not refer to a district of Tamilnadu. 0 is placed before the 1 as it is compulsorily required by the Act.

The number on the registration plate should be exactly what you enter on the vaahan site.

Additionally the S has been separated from the A and this coupled with the missing 0 digit would lead to cameras not recognising the number and would be reason enough for the authorities.
AMG Power is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You cannot omit zeros and break the series into half simply because the latter looks better to you. That's an offence under MVA.

Good the owner is indulging in these shenanigans where he is and not in the City where I reside.. The traffic cops here would impound that car.

Last edited by bigron : 31st July 2020 at 12:25.
bigron is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:27   #14
BHPian

Quote:

I am aware this thread is going off-topic and most probably this post will be deleted, but got to say your logic of omitting zeros is not acceptable. How would anyone know if the number is TN01A or TN10A?
rajivr1612 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 31st July 2020, 12:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

All this time, I was reading it as TNIA S155 and took it for some fake UK plate design, added temporarily for photo-ops. Only after reading your explanation did I realize how the original number has been restructured. I hope you get the point.

Honestly, I have been a big fan of this thread, his car collection, of his movies, his acting skills and I also follow him on Insta. However, in this occasion, I will go with what others have been saying - that plate doesn't look authentic.
ashis89 is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks