Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2018, 11:43   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Meanwhile, a question - what do you feel is an ideal distance between such rumble strips, on the same straight road? Every kilometer?
I don't think there can be any fixed formula for this based on distance. It all depends on the road. Probably if it is a school zone or a cross intersection you can have a rumble strip. Otherwise for a straight road not needed.

If they want to check speed they should put speed camera's rather than rumble strips. Personally I find it better than the unscientific Mt Everest speed breakers seen in many places in Bangalore that scrape your car bottom if it happens to be fully loaded.
Fillmore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 13:01   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What exactly is a scientifically designed rumble strip? If it alerts the driver, it has done its job.
One example that I could find within the hour -

For those who know Bangalore, this is just before Yelahanka NEXA showroom.

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-20180805_122103_hdr2.jpg

Now some might argue that this is to warn about the road median, but it comes after the road opened up - and there are no strips drawn before it. As seen in the picture - there are no strips on the other side as well.

So these strips are just there after the 'hazard' is over.

Will try to upload more soon. Some are just too thick to be just alert strips too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Personally I find it better than the unscientific Mt Everest speed breakers seen in many places in Bangalore that scrape your car bottom if it happens to be fully loaded.
No doubt.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th August 2018 at 13:20.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 16:46   #18
Team-BHP Support

Here's a quick video of a portion of the stretch of road I take each day from home to office. Within 3.5kms, you can spot 10 set of these rumble strips. These are not very small ones and you can see the visible and audible impact of it, within the cabin - and my car is not known for a harsh ride quality either.

PS - Those who don't have time to watch the full video, skip to the section between 2:20 and 2:45.

Edit -
Just remembered that the camera had motion stabilization on. Should have switched that off!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th August 2018 at 16:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 19:20   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Is that not a Zebra (pedestrian) crossing?

What's the problem with that?

Cheers
Old 5th August 2018, 19:43   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthang View Post
Is that not a Zebra (pedestrian) crossing?

What's the problem with that?

Cheers
Not that.

Look just after the zebra crossing on the left lane. Those are rumble strips after the zebra lane though not as clear in the pic as the zebra lane, and after the gap in the road median.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 5th August 2018 at 19:49.
Old 5th August 2018, 20:25   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Here's a quick video of a portion of the stretch of road I take each day from home to office. Within 3.5kms, you can spot 10 set of these rumble strips.
Almost every rumble strip is just before an intersection, which is fine in my opinion. This might be risky for two-wheelers though, if they are weaving through traffic.

May be this is an accident prone stretch and hence they have taken this measure?!

On the other hand, I am surprised that there are so many intersections in such a short distance. Probably they should just keep one or two and close others. This way they can avoid rumble strips/speed breakers.

On the highways, I prefer rumble strips over speed breakers or the zig-zag barricades(which you can see in TN).

Quote:
there are no strips drawn before it. As seen in the picture - there are no strips on the other side as well.

Will try to upload more soon. Some are just too thick to be just alert strips too!
You should report this to BTP or the concerned authorities.

Last edited by arun_josie : 5th August 2018 at 20:30.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2018, 20:30   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Not that.
Okay. Zoomed in and see what you mean. My Bad.

I did look at the video you posted. During rush hour traffic, it might seem to be overkill, but imagine a late night or early morning drive through there for an out of towner, how else would you warn of intersecting roads?

The picture you posted definitely seems like a mistake and I'm guessing is why it's not painted properly like the ones in the video. I don't think we should apply the one rotten apple spoils the basket theory on this.

I don't think rumble strips will do any damage other than an audible alert. If something does rattle itself loose, it's something that should have been fixed anyways.

Cheers

Last edited by gthang : 5th August 2018 at 20:40. Reason: Typo
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now some might argue that this is to warn about the road median, but it comes after the road opened up - and there are no strips drawn before it. As seen in the picture - there are no strips on the other side as well.
Since you started the thread with a perspective, valid one at that due to the incident you experienced, I think we all would like to have a discussion on both ; The (1)existence of these strips, and the (2)location of them. I guess you have been referring to both of these attributes when you talk about these rumblers and may be the way they are designed too.

So we too are providing our views (with no arguments).

Quote:
I noticed yesterday and today and I agree that the placement of the one you have posted a pic is flawed. But I also noticed that this particular location has a huge gap in the median and bus stop located on both the sides.

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-allalsandra.jpg

Further, there are 2 pedestrian crossings here, one at the end of the first median and other at the beginning of the next median (where you posted the pic of the rumbler) as seen above. So the 'Hazard' does exist - Pedestrian crossing and when coming down from Alalsandra ROB at breckneck speeds many will have to be warned. But, the only thing I see is the inconsistency there and as you said, it is placed after the Zebra crossing and its not there on the other side!

Quote:
I take each day from home to office. Within 3.5kms, you can spot 10 set of these rumble strips.
Good to know we share the common route to work/home. Felt like home watching your video .

Quote:
These are not very small ones and you can see the visible and audible impact of it, within the cabin - and my car is not known for a harsh ride quality either.
Earlier, at most of these places where there are rumblers in this video, there were pedestrian friendly speedbreakers and I am sure you would have experienced them too, which after re-asphalting of this whole stretch vanished and these rumblers came in place.

The road all the way from NES Signal (where you start the video) till the end of CRPF Campus has:
- Too many breaks in the medians, irregularly where many make U-Turn often cutting across from a bylane on the left side

- Entry and exit for institutions : Rail Wheel Factory, Kendriya Vidyalaya, CRPF Campus Gates, Railway Hospital etc

- Too many by lanes merging into this wide road

- Bus stops on regular basis
In your video, barring very few instances, all the strips have been placed at various locations referred above. One can pause and notice either a gate to an institution, or a Bus stop or a break in the median (Max occurrence here) wherever these rumblers exist.

Towards NES/Bangalore City:

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-1.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-2.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-3.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-4.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-5.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-6.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-7.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-nes-8.jpg

Towards Doddaballapura:

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-1.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-2.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-3.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-4.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-5.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-6.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-7.jpg

Rumble Strips: Unscientific and irritating implementation on Indian roads-towards-db-pura-8.jpg

I can imagine how things will be if there are no rumblers here. Each one will never bother to slow down when approaching these locations and accidents will be the norm of the day.

In fact, on this road, they shut down the New Town as well as the Pedestrian signals super early mornings or late night or even at noon sometimes on a week day. During such instances, the rumblers places closer to the intersection really helps to warn motorists.

Last edited by paragsachania : 6th August 2018 at 11:47.
paragsachania is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:46   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wonder why we need it - we have potholes to do the above job!
Highways in Karnataka have a nice set of rumblers before each intersection. They start quite a bit before the crossing and initially they are spaced up quite a bit. As you get closer, the gap between them progressively reduces. It sounds like this - brr, brr, brr, brr-brr-brr, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Ofcouse, this is the only positive instance of rumblers that I've come across. Also I take these rumblers only above 50 km/h or below 20 km/h. Anything between makes me wonder if some part has fallen off.

EDIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
They exist in Maharashtra as well, especially Satara - Kolhapur - Kagal Section. Here is one of them (at the end of the Video):
Oh yeah! How could I forget this? Thanks for the video!

Last edited by blackwasp : 6th August 2018 at 12:15.
blackwasp is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 11:59   #25
BHPian

I find these rumble strips quite useful on highways, especially at the accident prone locations. Yes, they can be irritating but helpful in warning drivers at curves, intersections, etc. One example is at the end of Mumbai-Pune expressway on Pune side. There is a dangerous curve and without those rumble stripes in place, I am sure drivers will have hard time slowing down in time. Unfortunately, no ones reads road signs in India.

I agree that within cities, they serve little or no purpose. But then we complain about speed breakers a lot. I would prefer these stripes than small speed breakers.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:00   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Highways in Karnataka have a nice set of rumblers before each intersection. They start quite a bit before the crossing and initially they are spaced up quite a bit. As you get closer, the gap between them progressively reduces. It sounds like this - brr, brr, brr, brr-brr-brr, brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
They exist in Maharashtra as well, especially Satara - Kolhapur - Kagal Section. Here is one of them (at the end of the Video):

paragsachania is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 12:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Pune is infested with Rumbler strips and speed breakers. The rumbler strips are exactly one of the reasons why I had to sell off my one year old Aprilia SR150 scooter. The sooper hard suspension followed by the bone jarring ride started taking a toll on my shoulders. Replaced with a Himalayan and those rumbler strips hardly bother me, infact I dont feel anything while riding over them.
On the other hand my two year old car has starting rattling like crazy.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

Contrary to what most people may feel, I think these rumbler strips are quite useful for visitors like me to Bangalore. Else how would I know that there is a gap in the median or a pedestrian crossing? Road signs don't always exist, or might not be visible.

On the National Highway from Hyd to Blr, I encountered around a dozen of these strips between Jadcherla and Kurnool. I was first taken aback in my Jan 2016 trip, as those were not there in my prior trip of October 2015. I found out later that one can continue to drive on them at 80+ speeds, and those are almost always placed in curves when there is a gap in the median just after the curve. One strategy I have learned to adopt is the move extreme left (traffic permitting), and let only the right wheel take the rumblers.

I find such stips 'gentlemanly' when compared to the monstrous humps between Anantpur and Penukonda. I hit one at around 70 kmph after hard braking from tripe digit speeds at Gutturu, because of twilight and also because I"d missed the signage while overtaking a truck. Luckily the Figo withstood it without any damage.
vnabhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:33   #29
Team-BHP Support

Ugh, these damn things. There's a lot of roads in Pune which have these and passing over them for that one second wakes up every bone in the body and every nut in the car. Pune - Bangalore has them too (between Satara and Kolhapur). On that stretch, it is plain awful; the strips are in blocks of few and the density increases as you approach an intersection.

I can literally see my entire dashboard and the wipers shuddering when I cross them. So much so, that my dashcam starts emergency recording

Be it speedbreakers and such nonsensical solutions to stop speeding, what more can we expect from the clowns that get handed contracts to build our roads.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2018, 13:36   #30
Senior - BHPian

Ah, I love Rumble Strips. They give me a nice massage.
But, it's very different on different vehicles.

The Scorpio 4WD, always - without fail, loses it's tail and it's fun to immediately counter-steer and correct the trajectory. Braking any more than just a feather touch, is pointless, else the nose dives and the tail lifts - picture that!

The Ecosport AT on the other hand, holds it's line, but shakes up my back and bum muscles. Even a light brake doesn't upset it any more than that.
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks