Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2018, 14:14   #61
BHPian

Re: High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges

Is it very unfortunate that sitting judges are also compelled to wait in the toll plaza for 10 to 15 minutes ?

There is a whopping 3.3 crore cases pending in Indian Courts. Of these 40% of the cases are more than five years old. May be the sitting Judges, want to rush to the courts to deliver justice on time!

Quote:
Chief Justice Dipak Misra sounded the alarm on rising pendency at a time when the situation is almost getting out of hand with the backlog touching 3.3 crore cases. While 2.84 crore cases are pending in the subordinate courts, the backlog clogging the High Courts and Supreme Court (SC) is 43 lakh and 57,987 cases, respectively.
Source: Business Today
BLACKBLADE is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 16:36   #62
BHPian

I'd rather have a separate & free lane for Doctors/Ambulances than these narcissistic VIPs. For there might be an emergency in which those 10-15 mins could make a difference.
Judges - absolutely not, they already have more than half of the year off - the least they can do is not make excuses the other half.
r0nit7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 16:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why? Why would they not need to pay up or wait in queue unless they are out on urgent official duties?
I understand and come with similar views.
Even if we do not like this, government servants / officials do have some facilities / privileges which are given to them and shall continue to enjoy those privilages till such time that they are completely abolished.
Old 31st August 2018, 16:49   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
Sorry to go off topic, but I believe it's a Mitsubishi Cedia.
Yes, that's a Cedia. This was one favorite car among them when the car was on sale. Now they have moved to the Altis. I had that picture of the Cedia so shared .
Old 31st August 2018, 17:12   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Why the hell is the Chennai High Court advocating a VIP culture?!? Someone should challenge this directive in the Supreme Court.

To start with, an online petition at change.org would be good.
This is my personal opinion but these petitions on Change.org are almost useless.

Assuming this directive is implemented, a PIL could be filed in the SC asking for the Madras HC decision to be reviewed. One does not need a locus standi to file the PIL.
Old 31st August 2018, 17:53   #66
Senior - BHPian

I believe his problem is with having to show documents to get toll exemption. i.e . embarrassment.

So why cant all govt cars have FASTAG applied with the NHAI footing the bill.
or whoever is paying for the fuel for his car.
Old 31st August 2018, 18:03   #67
BHPian

This judgement from the HC is the epitome of all that is wrong with us as a nation. When this nation should be thanking the honest, hard-working tax payers like us and treating us as the VIPs (considering tax-paying citizens are such a rare breed of people in the 1.3 billion of us) and we are the engine which keeps these VIPs paid, fed and pampered. We are the engine which allows the government to keep providing loan waivers, we are the engine which brings in foreign investment in some way or other, we are the engine which allows all welfare plans to have money to spend (this list is endless of what all we facilitate)

Instead they want more privileges for themselves. They want special plates, special rules, they can break any traffic rule and no problem, they can bully everyone else on the road because they are VIP. Now, they do not want to even wait to pay toll? So what should we do, build a special flyover on each toll plaza which can be accessed via a special RFID govt. ID card?

What embarrassment are they referring to? Are they embarrassed that they do not pay toll despite having such hefty pay packages and that mango-man is paying more than Rs.1/km in tolls? Are they embarrassed that they do not pay for fuel, insurance, maintenance or anything for their cars and we pay for them instead? Are they embarrassed that they have such a huge backlog in cases and still shamelessly call themselves VIPs?

I think the VIP abbreviation should replace the "Important" with so many other expletives that I can think of starting with "I"

Peace Out!
anand.shankar82 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 18:33   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Yes, that's a Cedia. This was one favorite car among them when the car was on sale. Now they have moved to the Altis. I had that picture of the Cedia so shared .
They have moved further, now to the Crysta.
Old 31st August 2018, 20:10   #69
BHPian

Why embarrassment.. it is needed for security.. what if anti social elements pose as judges ? And I fail to understand what is the problem in showing ID proof to a guy doing his job?? And these gentlemen are supposedly the upholders of justice and our constitution.. shame ..shame ..shame..
Old 31st August 2018, 20:52   #70
Senior - BHPian

Light bulb moment. I have a brilliant idea.
Why not set up mobile courts at toll booths. Each judge settles one case in the court and is allowed to pass without payment. Nobody's time is wasted and it's a win win situation.
Thank me later.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post

There is a whopping 3.3 crore cases pending in Indian Courts. Of these 40% of the cases are more than five years old. May be the sitting Judges, want to rush to the courts to deliver justice on time!

Source: Business Today
BenjiRoss is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 21:31   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Quite a blasphemous verdict of the Hon'ble Madras High Court, when India is trying to beat the VIP culture, with the beacon lights atop the hoods and the accompanying sirens getting relegated to history.

The judgement will though be perhaps applicable to the State of Tamil Nadu over which it has its jurisdiction. Whether this judgement will stand scrutiny at the higher level of judiciary is questionable in the present circumsatnces, when we are shunning the VIP culture ?

I just navigated the official website of the Madras High Court and after clicking every icon one has to patiently wat for 90-120 seconds to reach his or her appropriate section. Now their website is so sluggish and the time is to be "drastically" saved by moving faster through Toll Booths ?
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2018, 22:45   #72
BHPian

Great sense of entitlement is what I sense here. Looks like they did not like the taste of their own medicine.

Isn't everyone equal before the law, as provisioned by our Constitution? Virtually non existent roads, terrible justice system, no law enforcement and unworthy leaders are today's top picks. I am not so informed about law as a subject but I hope someone who is, files a PIL against this.

I'm losing my respect for the nation that our peaceful ancestors built with all their mights because it is not the nation they dreamed of, anymore.

Last edited by typlo : 31st August 2018 at 22:46.
Old 1st September 2018, 00:30   #73
BHPian

NHAI to challenge this order.

Quote:
Sources said the highways authority would cite how it's impossible to implement the order. They added earmarking a lane for VIPs would also not go down well with people and the particular lane would be hugely underutilised.
High Court wants separate toll booth lanes for VIPs & Judges-smartselect_20180901002405_samsung-internet.jpg

Source: Times of India
batish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 07:42   #74
BHPian

So the roads get laid from our tax money, we pay the road taxes, pay the tolls, pay the taxes for the fuel and still wait in queue(even with a "Fastag").
And I hope these people get back their fuel expenses back or even in cases the government provides the vehicle, don't pay tolls and becomes restless to wait in queues like a common citizen.

Are they forgetting a point that they are serving that common citizen?

Instead of them getting embarrassed of waiting in the tolls, they should have been embarrassed why a common citizen who pays for everything is not being provided the best of service and question the respective departments.
saratjyo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st September 2018, 10:14   #75
BHPian

Waiting amongst the common man is such a big hassle for the judiciary?
The common man who pays for the judiciary is made to wait years and sometimes decades for the judicial system to do the task with which it was created in the first place!!

Absolute misuse of power and ever so blatant at it.

Most Viewed