Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2007, 15:10   #16
Team-BHP Support

Latest thing on the outer ring road in Bangalore, there is no divider so people U turn at will
Old 4th January 2007, 15:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

That is the TN - AP commercial taxes check post. they dont need to stop private vehicles at all. only a cop stationed there can do that, that too if they have specific information. it is always better to stop & say hello & then go. but no need to give them any bakshish.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:23   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandCruiser View Post
In the chennai-bangalore highway via chitoor there is a interesting check post just somewhere near chitoor.
This checkpost also has its own little bypass. Surprising that you have been stopped regularly at this checkpost. I have never been stopped here whether on bike or in car. Irrespective of the time.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
2. Slow Moving vehicles in the inner lane
Already I had raised the same question at Landcruiser post, " IS IT MENTIONED ANYWHERE THAT SLOW MOVING VEHICLES NEEDS TO TAKE THE LEFT LANE AT NATIONAL HIGHWAYS & ALLOW THE SPEEDER VEHICLES TO TRAVEL THROUGH ON THE RIGHT LANE".
Old 4th January 2007, 15:36   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

The only workable solution to this is to design NHs/Expressways to compulsorily run on stilts for proper elevation (atleast 500m) to bypass villages and towns completely and be disconnected from them. Some expressways like the Mumbai-Pune eway already do this. Only SHs should run thru towns/cities - anyone who wants to touch a town/city should take a one-way exit from an NH that connects to an SH

The permanent solution to have everyone disciplined and traffic aware will happen when a military atheist goverment is installed in India.

Last edited by theMAG : 4th January 2007 at 15:37.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:47   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Already I had raised the same question at Landcruiser post, " IS IT MENTIONED ANYWHERE THAT SLOW MOVING VEHICLES NEEDS TO TAKE THE LEFT LANE AT NATIONAL HIGHWAYS & ALLOW THE SPEEDER VEHICLES TO TRAVEL THROUGH ON THE RIGHT LANE".
At least on the Pune/Baroda expressway it is clearly indicated.
Right lane should be only used for overtaking.

On other Highways also, i feel it is a good practise if we and others can follow the rule, so we never overtake from the left.
Old 4th January 2007, 15:52   #22
BHPian

In Bangaluru - Mysore highway i have read a sign board saying, LMV left lane only, but nobody is following it.. who will have to take action against them?
Old 4th January 2007, 16:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. To my knowledge that is the international convention. I have driven in US and UK. In Oman, Heavy Vehicle cannot take any lane other than the outer most. Multiple lanes with gradient speed is more logical than all lanes with any speed.
Old 4th January 2007, 21:31   #24
BHPian

looks like there is a decent enough ebsite with traffic rules, violations and punishments. Indian Traffic Rules – Road Safety - Road Rage - Driving License in India

Its an offense to overtake from left hand side of any vehicle unless the vehicle being overtaken is turning right or has shown intention so. It is an offense to obstruct being overtaken as well.
Old 4th January 2007, 21:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

There are 2 routes from Blore to Chennai. one via hosur and the other via Kolar. any opiniions on which is better. I heard yellow board vehices prefer to go via hosur so that they dont need a state permit for AP.
Old 4th January 2007, 22:10   #26
BHPian

All highways in the state of TN are like this...
You'll see a car with "L" and the person would be driving on the right side of the road.. north highways are still better with people having some highway driving sense..
Old 5th January 2007, 12:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbu View Post
Yes. To my knowledge that is the international convention. I have driven in US and UK. In Oman, Heavy Vehicle cannot take any lane other than the outer most. Multiple lanes with gradient speed is more logical than all lanes with any speed.
You have got such an exposure, so you know what not to do. But for the general public, it was not mentioned clearly which itself results in lots of them travelling on the right hand side of the road next to the median forcing fast moving vehicles overtake from the left. Most of them feel safe driving next to the median so that atleast they dont need to bother about one side atleast (RHS).

Lane disipline is followed almost perfectly in city as it was clearly mentioned on lanes of the roads whether it belongs to HMV OR LMV or for two wheelers.

I have never seen an sign board on highway (tambaram-tindivanam or chennai-bangalore) mentioning right lane is only meant for faster moving vehicles or for overtaking
Old 5th January 2007, 16:08   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Most of them feel safe driving next to the median so that atleast they dont need to bother about one side atleast (RHS).

Lane disipline is followed almost perfectly in city as it was clearly mentioned on lanes of the roads whether it belongs to HMV OR LMV or for two wheelers.
@Surprise : i dont believe driving next to the median is safe wherein u dont need to bother about one side of the road. On my way back to Bangalore from Palakkad, on the last excellent stretch of highway, i found many 2 wheeler riders coming on the wrong side, beside the median with no consideration whatsoever to the oncoming traffic. As someone else had pointed out, good roads are of no use if the general public goes about with utter disregard to even basic safety rules. Total lack of common sense, i'd say.

The lane discipline practice was tried out by the hyderabad traffic police, using plastic markers , but all u could see in the end was utter chaos, and strewn plastic markers. Last time i checked before leaving hyd, they had given up.
Old 5th January 2007, 16:19   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
There are 2 routes from Blore to Chennai. one via hosur and the other via Kolar. any opiniions on which is better. I heard yellow board vehices prefer to go via hosur so that they dont need a state permit for AP.
Via Hosur. Gorgeous road - but for 2 flies in the ointment: heavy traffic till KA-TN border, and once into TN too many rif-raffs like the starter of this thread has mentioned.

The Kolar route, also called the Old Madras Road from BLR, goes via Kolar (KA) and Chittor (AP). The road by itself is not bad, but its a single lane highway most of the way and is heavily choked with truck and bus traffic. This road also goes to Tirupati. Avoid this road.
Old 5th January 2007, 16:30   #30
Team-BHP Support

Yeah the hosur road one is better. But the old madras road via kolar will get you there in almost about the same time.

The only difference being old madras being more exciting and requires a little driver skills being single lane.

I've done Kolar route just short of 5 hours and hosur road one after electronics city took me around 4.5 hrs.

Most Viewed