Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2007, 16:36   #31
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
The Kolar route, also called the Old Madras Road from BLR, goes via Kolar (KA) and Chittor (AP). The road by itself is not bad, but its a single lane highway most of the way and is heavily choked with truck and bus traffic. This road also goes to Tirupati. Avoid this road.
This is the route I prefer. Chennai - Sriperumbudur - Ranipet - Chittoor - Palamner - Mulbagal - Kolar - Bangalore.

Single lane most of the way till Ranipet but the ghat section near Chittoor is a beauty. There will be heavy traffic until Kolar and then its relatively free. Traffic would increase after Ranipet since both routes merge at Ranipet.
Old 5th January 2007, 18:39   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
But for the general public, it was not mentioned clearly which itself results in lots of them travelling on the right hand side of the road next to the median forcing fast moving vehicles overtake from the left.
Surprise.... When I first got on an escalator in London Subway, I stood still on the right extreme. I was politely told to move to the left extreme. Right extreme is for those who want to walk up in a escalator. Left extreme is for those who prefer to stand and let the escalator do the job. I was surprised and amused. But saw the practical advantage when the subway is crowded and many people with either of the two approach take the escalator.
Old 5th January 2007, 20:33   #33

I agree to Subbu vbmenu_register("postmenu_347685", true); statement that "In India, most of the Motoring Schools teach people only how to drive a vehicle. Not necessarily on the road. I don't think most of these guys know anything beyond Steering Wheel, Clutch Pedal, Brake Pedal and Accelarator Pedal when it comes to driving."

i was literally shocked when a friend of mine here in bangalore asked me why do people zooms off on the right. He thought that overtaking happens only from the left. And i believe he has been driving for a year at least. Thought he might have had a slip of tongue and asked him why he said that. He told me that the right lane is always taken up by some huge truck or bus and the only way people take to overtake is from the left lane. Explained to him the traffic rules in india then only he understood. I bet there might be a lot of people here who doesn't know either the traffic rules or the signs. God Save Us.
Old 6th January 2007, 00:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road Regulations in India

The Rules Of The Road Regulations was brought into effect from July 1, 1989. It serves as a basic guide for the Indian driver, showcasing the rules which he has to follow, while on the roads. It deals with basic facts such as overtaking, traffic signals, towing, speed limits, the necessary documents to be carried while driving and other such neglected, but imperative points nonetheless.These regulations may be called the Rules Of The Roads Regulations, 1989.
  • Keep Left

The driver of a motor vehicle shall drive the vehicle as close to the left side of the road as may be expedient and shall allow all traffic which is proceeding in the opposite direction to pass on his left hand side.
  • Turning to Left And Right

The driver of a motor vehicle shall:
    1. When turning to the left, drive as close as maybe to the left hand side of the road from which he is making the turn and of the road which he is entering.
    2. When turning to the right draw as near as near as may be to the centre of the road which the driver is entering.
  • Passing To The Right

Except as provided in regulation 5, the driver of a motor vehicle shall pass to the right of all traffic proceeding in the same direction as himself.
  • Passing To The Left

The driver of a motor vehicle may pass to the left of a vehicle, the driver of which having indicated an intention to turn to the right has drawn to the centre of the road and may pass on either side, a tram car or other vehicle running on fixed rails whether travelling in the same direction as himself or otherwise provided that in no case shall he pass a tram car at a time or in a manner likely to cause danger or inconvenience to other users of the road including persons leaving or about to enter tram cars.
  • Overtaking Prohibited In Certain Cases

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not pass a vehicle travelling in the same direction as himself:
    1. If his passing is likely to pass inconvenience or danger to other traffic proceding in any direction
    2. If he is near a point, a bend or corner or a hill or other obstructionof any kind that renders the road ahead not clearly visible
    3. If he knows that the driver who is following him has not signalled that he may be overtaken.
  • Overtaking Not To Be Obstructed

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not, when being overtaken or being passed by another vehicle, increse speed or do anything in any way to prevent the other vehicle from passing him.
  • Caution At Road Junction

The driver of a motor vehicle shall slow down when approaching a road intersection, a road junction, pedestrian crossing or a road corner, and shall not enter any such intersection, junction or crossing until he has become aware that he may do so without endangering the safety of persons thereon.
  • Giving Way To Traffic At Road Junction

The driver of a motor vehicle shall, on entering a road interjection at which traffic is not being regulated, if the road entered is a main road designated as such, give way to the vehicles proceeding along the road, and in any other case give way to all traffic approaching to the intersection on his right hand.
  • Fire Service Vehicles And Ambulances To Be Given Free Passage

Each driver shall on the approach of a fire service vehicle or an ambulance allow it free passage by drawing it to the side of the road.
  • Right Of Way

Pedestrians have the right of way at uncontrolled pedestrian crossings. When any road is provided with a footpath or cycletrack especially for other traffic, except with permission of a police officer in uniform, a driver shall not drive on such footpath or track.
Ps: Scanned From Local RTO

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 6th January 2007 at 00:14.
Old 6th January 2007, 21:18   #35

Subbu, Surprise.... When I first got on an escalator in London Subway, I stood still on the right extreme. I was politely told to move to the left extreme. Right extreme is for those who want to walk up in a escalator.

That holds true in US also. Just that its the left side here. Right extreme is for those who doesn't want to walk up in a escalator. vbmenu_register("postmenu_348955", true);
Old 10th January 2007, 09:13   #36
BHPian

Mera Bharat Mahan!!!!!!

we will never change unless and until our traffic fines are increased to Rs 5000-10,000 and one day in the lock up .
Old 10th January 2007, 11:21   #37
BANNED

In chennai we have lanes for motorcycles ,autorickshwas ,cars trucks ,buses etc.

In bangalore I was amused to find a 1 way road ,as big as the size of mount road in chennai ,and it was a 1 way .

The traffic authorities had let the fruit vendors ,vegetable vendors to occupy half the road . HMMM ,bangalore traffice is crazy .

The best part in chennai is if you honk and the motocyclist or car owner does not give way ,te Metro buses do the job ,just edge the car or bike ...LOL from the lane and over take .
Old 10th January 2007, 13:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In bangalore I was amused to find a 1 way road ,as big as the size of mount road in chennai ,and it was a 1 way .

The traffic authorities had let the fruit vendors ,vegetable vendors to occupy half the road . HMMM ,bangalore traffice is crazy .
Undoubtedly the Madiwala Market Road .
Old 16th January 2007, 11:04   #39

The best thing in Driving in Chennai is you never know when people would cross the road and more so whether they will or not - at times they just come in front of the car and stay there undecided, whether they want to go to the other side or not would be a big question!!!!!!

Sometimes it is soooo irritating!!!!!!!!!!
Old 16th January 2007, 15:47   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari.frenzy View Post
The best thing in Driving in Chennai is you never know when people would cross the road and more so whether they will or not - at times they just come in front of the car and stay there undecided, whether they want to go to the other side or not would be a big question!!!!!!

Sometimes it is soooo irritating!!!!!!!!!!
My friend, that is not restricted to Chennai alone..!!
More of a national phenomenon, i'd say !!
Old 16th January 2007, 15:50   #41
BHPian

I think Hbad is worse. Every road is not even a two way but multiway road. People and vehicles could come from any direction on any road.
Old 25th January 2007, 08:44   #42
Senior - BHPian

whenver I travel to bangalore via the GQ the biggest problem i face is the traffic coming in the wrong direction, in the middle of the road!! sometimes i just have never figured WHY do they do this? can they not drive on the shoulder and then cut when required? The other day, i had a few seconds to avoid missing a truck that was coming towards me on the wrong side. this was the first time i was travelling, and for the life of me, never thought something like this could happen. I was reading some hoarding while driving past, and behind me there was this qualis quy honking like mad! i was like "man, whats his problem?" and brought my attention back to the road, just to see the truck in front!!! floored the acclerator, cut left and swerved out of his way, had to pull over to the side to just get my composure back. kinda thanked the qualis guy for the honking.. guess thats what saved me!
Old 25th January 2007, 11:45   #43
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I think Hbad is worse. Every road is not even a two way but multiway road. People and vehicles could come from any direction on any road.
hyd traffic excels in the way in which they manage to get one way roads into multidirectional roads, as pointed out by Sreeni. Not to forget wannabe Schumi's and rossi's on their stock Chetaks as their weapon of attack. They literally love to perform drags on the road.
Old 26th January 2007, 01:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatmana2000 View Post
In chennai we have lanes for motorcycles ,autorickshwas ,cars trucks ,buses etc.
I have been a victim of this, I started from left and kep in left lane because of slow speed, and had to stop again.
(bikes and autos are right most lane )
got caught and had no way to prove I was not making an excuse, when i told I was stopping.

This was the first time I had seen that lane definition.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 26th January 2007 at 01:58.
Old 26th January 2007, 01:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Via Hosur. Gorgeous road - but for 2 flies in the ointment: heavy traffic till KA-TN border, and once into TN too many rif-raffs like the starter of this thread has mentioned.

The Kolar route, also called the Old Madras Road from BLR, goes via Kolar (KA) and Chittor (AP). The road by itself is not bad, but its a single lane highway most of the way and is heavily choked with truck and bus traffic. This road also goes to Tirupati. Avoid this road.
I am told Kolar route is shorter than Hosur route by 30 kms. That should be at least half an hour saved if you can maintain same average speeds.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks