Team-BHP - Delhi police tells SC: City traffic will be congestion free by 2020
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Delhi police tells SC: City traffic will be congestion free by 2020 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/201524-delhi-police-tells-sc-city-traffic-will-congestion-free-2020-a.html)

According to a media report, the Delhi Police has assured the Supreme Court that the city traffic will be congestion-free by 2020. The court had summoned the police commissioner and directed him to come up with a time-bound plan after the government failed to decongest the city roads.

Delhi police tells SC: City traffic will be congestion free by 2020-delhi.jpg

The police have identified 77 congested corridors in the city, of which 28 are said to be highly congested. The plan to decongest the city roads includes widening roads, removing encroachments, building flyovers, elevated roads and foot over-bridges. A total of 350 tasks have been identified. The quick measure solutions are expected to be completed in 8 months, while the long-term solutions could take 18 months. The entire project is expected to be completed by December 2020.

The timeline was given by the Delhi Police after consultation with all authorities including municipal bodies and the Delhi Development Authority (DDA). In response to the proposal, the court has instructed all civic bodies to cooperate.

It has also been reported that the city police will remove all seized vehicles from in and around police stations as they obstruct traffic and act as mosquito breeding grounds. It is estimated that there are around 30,444 impounded vehicles in the city.

Source - Times of India

Image Source - mensxp

Link to Team-BHP News

Its all a myth. Delhi can NOT be decongested. By 2020 the traffic will grow and there would be another assurance by the authorities then. There needs to be an overhaul in the system to really make some progress. They have been talking about clearing some roads. I have been using Mathura Road since last 10 years and the situation remains the same.

All I can say is that all of us, including the Delhi police, have a right to dream - day, night and pipe included. This promise belongs to the first and the last category of dreams. Also, I am baffled by the authorities' penchant for keeping the year 2020 as the target for many of their dream schemes.

I wish and hope that Delhi becomes congestion free in the next two years. But somehow, I find it difficult to believe that it can :).

The number of vehicles aren’t going down, new ones keep on getting added and ‘add’ the traffic moving through Delhi for the NCR region - this so called ‘bliss’ is not possible. It can de-congest few areas but ‘congestion’ is here to stay. This is a feel good article but the choke points will move from A to B.

Delhi is an enigma as far as cities go, it is the capital of India, a union territory and yet is akin to a state unto itself.

THIS, is the key problem. Several towns in the outer periphery of Delhi.. call themselves as part of Delhi. Anyone who knows people from Ghaziabad, Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida etc should well be knowing that they sometimes.. introduce themselves as being from Delhi or Delhi-area. ;-) NCR has become a joke today in the sense that it has expanded to nearly unknown towns and villages into the far reaches of U.P and Rajasthan.

More and more and more people are driving into, through or out of Delhi on a daily basis that other cities cannot even begin to fathom. In 2008 I saw what can possibly be described as the purist's Delhi, relatively peaceful, easy to travel in, good connectivity to Gurgaon and Noida through the roads and not-so-congested toll booths. Today Delhi is a hodgepodge, a complete mess with population blowing through the roof, pollution that can kill and way too much influence from several dozen towns and districts around it. The Delhi I knew is gone today.. forever.

Sometimes its best to let the chaos.. be. People will accept the jams and not fight it sooner or later, perhaps thankfully, they may even avoid the city in due course. The number one source of pollution in Delhi is dust and debris.. do they really think chopping down trees, making more roads, and constructing huge flyovers can work? Also this technique being heavily experimented with in Bangalore.. do the Delhiites know that Silk Board Junction in Bangalore, the most infamous junction in India, became as bad it is today because of two seamless flyover junctions being constructed just so that vehicles can reach the junction quicker? Its like 2 bouts of diarrhea followed by a massive constipation. It simply stops working within a short time.

rl: rl:

Instead of these type of assurances why not first replace/repair traffic signals which go haywire every other month especially in monsoons.

Cleaning up the drains, pipelines would be a good start than constructing new underpasses which will eventually be waterlogged.

Delhi police tells SC: City traffic will be congestion free by 2020-mintoroadwaterloggin759.jpg

Minto Bridge Underpass
(Source: The Indian Express)

When is the Commissioner retiring?

No, I am not interested in his retirement party; Wanted to know the announcement time of new decongestion timeline by new Commissioner. Judges in this country surely deserve a dedicated line at toll booths.

This should be in the Joke thread. :D
No metro city in the world can be congestion free. I have personally never been to Delhi recently, but I think most Indian cities don't have space to expand.

Alternatives are to route cars around the city and build good public transport.

I must admit, the picture by OP has caught my attention. The Bangalorean in me can only gaze in disbelief at the width of that road. Here, 7-8 major roads together would be that wide. I am not kidding.

Give Bangalore such wide roads and who knows, it may become traffic free tomorrow lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by landcruiser123 (Post 4455655)
No metro city in the world can be congestion free.

This.

EVERY major city in the world has problems with traffic congestion. It's basically because of vehicular & population density. Look at Shanghai, New York or Tokyo. There is no big city in the world without traffic issues. Even way back in 2001 - 2003, I have been stuck in hour-long traffic jams in Boston. The situation would be worse today with more cars added to its roads.

So let's not single out India or Delhi here. However, the main difference is, many cities in developed countries have amazing public transportation systems. While its public transportation isn't world class, Delhi is definitely better than a lot of other Indian cities in this area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drive2eternity (Post 4455703)
The Bangalorean in me can only gaze in disbelief at the width of that road. Here, 7-8 major roads together would be that wide.

rl: rl:

Quote:

I must admit, the picture by OP has caught my attention. The Bangalorean in me can only gaze in disbelief at the width of that road. Here, 7-8 major roads together would be that wide. I am not kidding.

And the lane discipline. Most of them are in a straight line. clap:

Quote:

Give Bangalore such wide roads and who knows, it may become traffic free tomorrow lol:

That is so true. Anyone visiting Bangalore from Delhi/Mumbai and many other cities, may end up having a "village-ish" feeling about Bangalore with respect to roads in many places of the city. Just that there maybe large concrete jungles around those non-existent narrow broken village (off-road proving ground kind of) roads.
However, one of the major de-congestion act for Delhi (matter of fact for any other major cities) could be to expand infrastructure uniformly out of the already congested areas.

Quote:

The Bangalorean in me can only gaze in disbelief at the width of that road.

Yep, the first time I visited and drove/rode in Delhi, I too was amazed by the roads as compared to Bangalore.

But...

No amount of road widening, flyover building, signal-free corridor'ing, etc. will help. The number of vehicles will just continue to grow and choke the system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 4455802)
While its public transportation isn't world class, Delhi is definitely better than a lot of other Indian cities in this area.

This is the best solution. A good public transport system (with last mile connectivity and good pedestrian infrastructure) will not decongest the roads, but it will give those who opt to use it, a saner and better way to travel.

Alternatively, of late, I've been thinking that maybe it's better to just let the situation keep getting worse. Right now it's still bearable to most of us living and commuting in cities like Bangalore and Delhi. We're ok with commute times touching 2 hours, ok with construction dust, ok with a lot of things. It needs to get really bad before we'll consider leaving these places and automatically making things better. Extreme thoughts, but these are extreme situations already.

Even if they stretch the deadline to 2030, it won’t be possible to de-congest Delhi 100%. They might have come with some congested corridors to deal with but they are forgetting one of the most critical aspects of the problem – We the people. Infrastructure alone can’t be the solution of this problem, unless the public is responsible and mature enough to use it optimistically. First step should be the public awareness and effective policing. A handful of unruly drivers are more than enough to convert a perfect road into a congested one. Reasons can be ignorance of lane driving, improper parking and breakdown of poorly maintained vehicles.
“Be the change that you wish to see in the world”

What are they smoking? I don't see the traffic in Delhi (and Bangalore) to be congestion free in my distant dreams. Unless we inculcate discipline on the roads, nothing will change. No amount of road widening, traffic regulations will help. Give us a 100lane road and we are capable of creating jams. Call me pessimistic, but that's the unfortunate truth. Why these 2 cities, it's the same story in almost the entire country. :Frustrati