Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2018, 14:05   #46
BHPian

Re: The straightest roads in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
What is the longest dead straight that you have seen in US and Thailand?
One of the segments I traveled during April 2018 was from Salida to Alamosa CO. If you check the route from Alder (After Salida CO) to Alamosa CO, its almost 105+ kms of straight road. Its insane. Zero curves. I had to brave this route with 130kms/hr wind blowing perpendicularly as well. See a screen grab from my video.
Attached Thumbnails
The straightest roads in India-hwy17_alamosa.png  

Last edited by bsdbsd : 11th September 2018 at 14:07. Reason: EDIT: After Alder, there are a couple of curves..but you get the idea.
bsdbsd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2018, 14:33   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
One of the segments I traveled during April 2018 was from Salida to Alamosa CO. If you check the route from Alder (After Salida CO) to Alamosa CO, its almost 105+ kms of straight road. Its insane. Zero curves. I had to brave this route with 130kms/hr wind blowing perpendicularly as well. See a screen grab from my video.
105+ kms of dead straight road is insane! Looks like a killer in the screen-grab with the wind blowing in the dust.

IMO this is the prime reason why cruise control works like a dream in the US. While there are many bhpians who swear by cruise control, I have never been able to effectively use it, without losing fuel efficiency.

While not strictly roads, but for motorized transport, the longest straight stretch is Trans-Australian Railway over the Nullarbor Plain. The train apparently runs dead straight for 24 hours!

Quote:
The train's route includes the world's longest straight stretch of railway track, a 478-kilometre (297 mi) stretch of the Trans-Australian Railway over the Nullarbor Plain.
The good part is that no danger of sleepiness there, as the train driver has the deadman's switch to press every 60 seconds or similar.

Last edited by varunsangal : 11th September 2018 at 14:39. Reason: Added text for The Great Indian Pacific Railway.
Old 11th September 2018, 15:57   #48
Senior - BHPian

Longest stretch I remember driving is this stretch past Ulundurpet towards Veppur on NH45.

I remember parts of Jodhpur-Jaisalmer highway have arrow straight roads, this was in around Pokhran.
Old 11th September 2018, 22:34   #49
BHPian

A portion of the Bikaner-Jaisalmer highway. I remember how difficult it became to focus while on my Karizma. A heck of a road and equally notorious for truck drivers sleeping at the wheel. Fab road!
Old 13th September 2018, 11:23   #50
BHPian

The straightest road that I have driven on is the latest Chenani Tunnel while driving from Delhi-Srinagar recently in September. It does not qualify the 40-50 km requirement but that tunnel is dead straight for almost 9 km. It has a slight curve in between but otherwise its dead straight. You can drive with your eyes closed. It's an absolute engineering marvel what they have did.

Another road I can think of is Hyderabad bypass (outer ring road) and Yamuna Expressway. Hyderabad bypass is surely not that straight but still quite straight. Yamuna Expressway is straight but not for 40 km and it is actually boring. I nearly doze off while driving.
Old 14th September 2018, 14:53   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
What is the longest dead straight that you have seen in US and Thailand?

My dad's a civil engineer, per him roads are actually designed to have curves to prevent boredom and possible drowsiness during driving.
When the first expressways and motorways were built they were often dead straight as far as topography allowed them to be. It was only later that the dangers of long straight stretches of road causing accidents resulting from drowsiness or sleeping on the wheel was noticed. Since then most roads would have curves every now and then to keep the driver alert. Moreover now service areas are built into the road infrastructure to provide a break and these could be around 50 km apart. The longest in the world which goes almost dead straight is 1100 km in the Saudi Arabian desert.
ashokabs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2018, 16:47   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokabs View Post
When the first expressways and motorways were built they were often dead straight as far as topography allowed them to be. It was only later that the dangers of long straight stretches of road causing accidents resulting from drowsiness or sleeping on the wheel was noticed. Since then most roads would have curves every now and then to keep the driver alert. Moreover now service areas are built into the road infrastructure to provide a break and these could be around 50 km apart. The longest in the world which goes almost dead straight is 1100 km in the Saudi Arabian desert.
I did a quick check on that fact - its the Highway 85 in KSA, you are referring to, I guess. It is not exactly straight, though really straight for such a long highway!

There is another highway in KSA, Highway 10, which is considered to be the longest arrow straight road in the world at 250+ kms!

On a different note, the only straight roads I have seen are no more than 4-5 kms long on the Bangalore-Pune and Hyderabad-Nagpur highways.

Last edited by nileshch : 14th September 2018 at 16:50.
Old 14th September 2018, 17:34   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I don't know which is the longest straight road in India, but I just remembered one bit of trivia from Kolkata:

The longest straight road in Kolkata is BB Ganguly Street, formerly known as Bowbazar Street, where on a clear day without traffic, one can see one end of the road from the other.
I have heard a similar thing about TTK road in Chennai, from Crowne Plaza to the Kauvery hospital signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks