Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2018, 16:30   #1
BHPian

Are Maruti's LED brake lights too bright?

Hi
I am not sure if this is just me or if others have experienced the same.
The Rear LED brake lights on the newer Marutis especially Baleno and new swift are too bright,especially if you are following them in an area with no street lights.

In few recent instances I have been following the above mentioned cars and found the rear lights to be really irritating and very harsh on the eyes.
I don't think its the problem with the LED technology but with Maruti.

I have not felt the same discomfort with LED rear lights of some other cars for example HEXA.

Bhpians anyone had the same/similar experience ?

Mods please merge this post with existing thread if it exists couldn't find one using the search tool.
Nits83 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 16:43   #2
BHPian

re: Are Maruti's LED brake lights too bright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nits83 View Post
Hi
Bhpians anyone had the same/similar experience ?
I haven't noticed the over brightness of LED taillights of Maruti vehicles. But the brightness of LED projector headlights of newer Marutis are substantially higher than other cars and are very irritating at night especially when they decide not to dim their headlights. Wouldn't be surprised if the taillights are also of same kind.
Flyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 17:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
I haven't noticed the over brightness of LED taillights of Maruti vehicles. But the brightness of LED projector headlights of newer Marutis are substantially higher than other cars and are very irritating at night especially when they decide not to dim their headlights. Wouldn't be surprised if the taillights are also of same kind.

Not sure about the Marutis but how about the headlights of the new Fortuner and Innova Crysta? The have been placed too high and blind low GC vehicles even at low beam. And not to mention the Audis with their dazzling taillamps/ brakelights. These are the most irritable lights I have come across.
unk9ja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:34   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer View Post
But the brightness of LED projector headlights of newer Marutis are substantially higher than other cars and are very irritating at night especially when they decide not to dim their headlights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk9ja View Post
The have been placed too high and blind low GC vehicles even at low beam. And not to mention the Audis with their dazzling taillamps/ brakelights. These are the most irritable lights I have come across.
Agree on he bright headlights, I sometimes have an urge to get a LED strip installed on the roof just to flash the incoming cars who don't use low beams

Thankfully sense prevails after cooling down
Nits83 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

I like the brake lights of the previous gen Innova - very soft and yet with good visibility. It may not be an LED setup, but I find even the non-LED brake lights of other cars too 'loud'.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 18:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
The Rear LED brake lights on the newer Marutis especially Baleno and new swift are too bright,especially if you are following them in an area with no street lights.
Totally, totally agree.

It's really annoying and frustrating. I wince every time I'm following a Baleno, tail lights are just too bright and hurts the eyes.

On a related note, the new Swift/Dzire projectors are like a camera flash going off, even in day time it hurts the eyes if the oncoming car flashes their beams.

Last edited by GTO : 6th September 2018 at 10:42. Reason: typo
Parth46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2018, 20:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
When I read "areas with no streetlights", I just instinctively guessed you must be from Bangalore. Then I looked at your user summary and I wasn't disappointed!

Anyway, I agree, I too find the Baleno tail lights annoyingly bright. All LED brake lights are annoyingly bright, IIRC.

Last edited by ampere : 7th September 2018 at 07:10. Reason: trimmed quoted post
vharihar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 09:35   #8
BHPian

I have faced the same issue. My eyes are very sensitive to light, and I thought that was an issue unique to me! Glad to know others feel the same.

Is it actually necessary for the lights to be that bright? In the visible spectrum, isn't red supposed to be the best for being visible from a greater distance? What greater benefit do bright LEDs bring, other than aesthetics? And I think the issue is particularly with LEDs from Baleno and the new Swift, as I have not faced any issues with the rear LEDs of Mercedes cars.

Another irritant for me are the red and blue lights that are placed on top of the Chennai police Gypsy cars. If you are in a sedan, they literally blind you as you are in the direct line of the light. Manufacturers should really look into this.
esoticoreventon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2018, 10:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

May be the Baleno brake lights are appearing too bright because the brake lamps are placed high - directly in the line of your sight. Looking directly at LED lights is bad for your eyes, so ideally the LED lights should come with a diffuser covering.
Old 6th September 2018, 13:43   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
May be the Baleno brake lights are appearing too bright because the brake lamps are placed high - directly in the line of your sight.
I was thinking the same as the new tail lights of New Fortuner and Hexa don't bother me ... but still if i see them standing parallel to a Maruti .. you will notice that tail lights of Marutis are definitely brighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
you must be from Bangalore. T
Anyway, I agree, I too find the Baleno tail lights annoyingly bright. All LED brake lights are annoyingly bright, IIRC.
Yes I am from Bangalore, you can find a lot of side roads which don't have lighting.
I am not sure about all LED lights being annoyingly bright, as mentioned earlier I find Hexa tail lights fine, even the new Fortuner (are they LED ?).

I am not sure if it is because of higher ground clearance in case of Hexa and Fortuner, logically GC should not make such drastic difference.

Last edited by moralfibre : 7th September 2018 at 08:30. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use the EDIT / MULTI-QUOTE options.
Old 7th September 2018, 06:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Maruti's LED brake lights too bright?

Yes, those are really piercing!

It is especially obvious to me since I sit so close to the road in the Fiesta and I had a bad time following a new Swift in bumper to bumper traffic a few nights back.

It really comes across like those wild aftermarket units. Should be mellowed down ideally! Wonder how CMVR ruled it okay for the roads!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2018, 13:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think this is what all cars need!

Auto-adjusting brightness in the LED head and tail lights.
AlphaKilo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 19:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Yes, those are really piercing!
I had a bad time following a new Swift in bumper to bumper traffic a few nights back.
!
I know the pain its ok to some extent when the brakes are not applied, once the brakes are applied they get even brighter making it really uncomfortable. Its really irritating following these in a stop go traffic.
Old 18th September 2018, 18:53   #14
BHPian

I clicked this picture of a Swift's LED tail light, and it looks this bright even after my camera adjusted for the brightness. This is a real pain and Maruti should seriously fix this.

Are Maruti's LED brake lights too bright?-20180913_224958.jpg
Old 18th September 2018, 19:08   #15
BHPian

Not sure about Marutis but I feel Compass taillights are too bright. I encounter Compasses daily on my office route. Apart from the level of brightness, it has to do with the placement of the lights on the car you’re following and also seating position of the car you’re driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks