Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 18:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Avis India launches free doorstep delivery of self-drive cars

Self-drive car rental company Avis India now offers free doorstep delivery and collection service. The company claims that the service will enable its customers to save time and money as they will not have to go through the hassle of picking up and delivering the cars. The service is currently available in Bangalore, Hyderabad, New Delhi, Noida, Gurgaon, Chennai, Mumbai, Pune, Kolkata and Kochi.

Avis India launches free doorstep delivery of self-drive cars-avis.jpg

Adults with a valid government identification can book a self-drive rental car through the Avis India website or via a mobile app. Rental cars are available on hourly, daily, weekly and monthly basis. Other value-added services include GPS, complimentary Wi-Fi, unlimited mileage, option to add an additional driver, child safety seat and a car upgrade in case the selected car is not available.

Self-drive car rental company Revv also provides doorstep delivery and pick-up service.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 06:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Avis India launches free doorstep delivery of self-drive cars

If you have an international avis wizard number with privileges or discount rate attached (eg ; from when you lived in the USA or from your MNC employer) you can just book on avis.com rather than the Avis India website and take full advantage of this.

If you book from Hyderabad airport as I did - you'll find to your cost that their yard is somewhere in Secunderabad over an hour and a half away. So if their delivery is held up for some reason it might be quite a while before a replacement car is deployed.

I'd ordered a self drive for 7.20 AM a couple of weeks back. I finally got a car at 8.45 - changed from the XUV I'd ordered to an Innova Crysta.

The handover was routine - though for some reason they're insisting on an Aadhaar card photocopy or at least a whatsapped picture of it along with the driving license.

The Crysta they gave me was a base level model with around 58,000 km on the clock. Reasonably smooth ride though the gearshift was a bit stiff at times. The car had a basic Pioneer deck fitted in it that, however, had a missing volume knob. I just had to grab the stalk the knob was mounted on and twist it to increase or decrease volume.

They give you the car with a full tank and expect a full tank when it is returned.
hserus is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 08:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Self-drive car rental company Avis India now offers free doorstep delivery and collection service. The company claims that the service will enable its customers to save time and money as they will not have to go through the hassle of picking up and delivering the cars.
Good initiative, especially for people like me living on outskirts of Bangalore. Many times I see cars available for pickup in far away locations and then decide to use my own vehicle because of time and distance.

Last edited by GTO : 19th September 2018 at 10:04. Reason: typo
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:07   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This is super convenient! The last couple of times that I've rented a self-drive car from Zoom or Myles, it was always doorstep delivery & pickup (or at the airport I was landing at). Zoom takes this a level further with their simple handover process. Big fan. I hope Avis can match these two when it comes to pricing & availability. In India, I believe that Avis has focused more on corporate clients (unlike Zoom).
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is super convenient! The last couple of times that I've rented a self-drive car from Zoom or Myles, it was always doorstep delivery & pickup (or at the airport I was landing at). Zoom takes this a level further with their simple handover process. Big fan. I hope Avis can match these two when it comes to pricing & availability. In India, I believe that Avis has focused more on corporate clients (unlike Zoom).
They have focused on corporate clients for a very long time, at grossly inflated rates. And some very judicious trickery in case the discounted rates (calculated for self drive cars) are too cheap for them to operate a car with chauffeur in India. For example deploying a driver from a location that's 40 km from the airport, 40 km from your hotel and offering an 8 hour 80 km per day rate. So that the fare charged for extra kilometres will more than bring up the final bill to whatever rate they expect rather than the ultra cheap discounted rate.

However, Zoom / Myles etc and Uber / Ola have been eating their lunch in this market, because the desi employees of the MNCs are encouraged to take cabs or rent a self drive instead of paying through their nose for an Avis / Hertz car and driver, and that is reserved for visiting foreigners or very senior local people.

The Avis self drive offering is, tellingly, unlimited kilometres, and full gas tank to full gas tank - because they haven't changed that part about their yard being miles away from anywhere in particular. It also comes with the standard Avis options of Collision Damage Waiver etc that you can buy separately (or may be included in any corporate negotiated rate your employer has) so that you don't have to worry as much about some careless biker scratching your rental car.
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:41   #6
BHPian

This has been there for quite some time now, at-least in Bangalore. There is no option to pick-up or drop the car, they have door pick-up and drop as the only option at no extra charges. They have a central hub in Bangalore where all the self-drive vehicles are managed from. Few months back I had hired an Innova and it was a decent experience and I liked their service and pricing was decent with good discounts, unlimited KMS and they have no speed-limiting device in their cars which is a HUGE positive compared to ZoomCar and other rentals. So again I had hired an Innova Crysta few days back for a quick trip to Hogenakkal and Chunchi falls with 6 friends and we covered close to 400kms on ghats, good roads, bad roads and no roads. The MUV had done 90K kms but still it performed really well. The comfort, power, convenience is unmatched for moving 7 people around. At the end of our trip, no one was really tired (except me, as I was the sole driver) and it was pleasant and uneventful. The only issue I felt with the car was during reversing as the reverse parking sensor was not working and one needs to be really careful while reversing the L-O-N-G Innova Crysta without the help of reverse camera or parking sensors.

The rental process is changed a little from the last time I hired, they now ask for Aadhaar card to take photo and upload on their App. But overall its a smooth process and the door pick-up and drop is really convenient for people who want to start their journey at odd times or for those who are located far away for pickup/drop locations of other self-drive rental companies.
Funny is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 10:50   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
The only issue I felt with the car was during reversing as the reverse parking sensor was not working and one needs to be really careful while reversing the L-O-N-G Innova Crysta without the help of reverse camera or parking sensors
Only the top end Crysta has parking sensors or reverse camera right? The one they gave me was a base level Crysta which had nothing of the sort. Eco Mode and Airbags, yes. But nothing fancier than that.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
So again I had hired an Innova Crysta few days back for a quick trip to Hogenakkal and Chunchi falls with 6 friends and we covered close to 400kms on ghats, good roads, bad roads and no roads.
Could you please share the costs.
Old 19th September 2018, 14:21   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is really convenient. It is no problem if you are flying in and out of town, but I often find myself needing a car not anywhere near an airport and you could look at substantial travel just to get to and from the rental places

Good job!

Jeroen
Old 19th September 2018, 17:14   #10
BHPian

What's the 'full tank to full tank' based on? Just the fuel meter in the car or do they carry any equipment to accurately check the level?

In many cars (especially the ones with fuel bars instead of a gauge), the number of bars at full will remain the same even with 2-3 liters fuel here and there.
Old 19th September 2018, 17:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
What's the 'full tank to full tank' based on? Just the fuel meter in the car or do they carry any equipment to accurately check the level?

In many cars (especially the ones with fuel bars instead of a gauge), the number of bars at full will remain the same even with 2-3 liters fuel here and there.
Just the fuel meter reading the same. Not MID based.
Old 20th September 2018, 06:54   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Only the top end Crysta has parking sensors or reverse camera right? The one they gave me was a base level Crysta which had nothing of the sort. Eco Mode and Airbags, yes. But nothing fancier than that.
Ours was a G variant Crysta and it did have reverse parking sensors (no rear camera), but they were not working. I am not sure if that variant comes with parking sensors or it was fitted as an accessory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
Could you please share the costs.
Sure. We hired the car on a Saturday and it costed us 5732 (after discounts) with an additional 5000 as deposit which got refunded within a week after we returned the car. We covered about 400kms and I had to fill Diesel worth 3000 (40 liters) before returning the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deovrat View Post
Yep, they just follow the fuel indication on the instrument cluster. So there will be a variation of +/- 2-3 liters as you said. While returning we just need to bring the needle back to where it was when the car was delivered to us hence a slight variation wouldn't matter.

Most Viewed