Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2018, 20:29   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Uniform smart driving license, RC across India from 2019

DL issued across all states will be same format from July 2019.

Uniform smart driving license, RC across India from 2019-1.jpg

Quote:
This rule will come into force from July 2019 and all DLs and RCs issued after this will have the same look, design, and colour. They will also have the same security features such as guilloche printing, micro-printed text, micro-line, ultraviolet florescent colour, hologram and watermark.
Quote:
New driving licenses will have the title ‘Indian Union Driving License’ and it will come with logos of national and state government; name of issuing authority; issue and validity date; name, blood group and organ donation details of the license holder; emergency number; QR Code; and vehicle category
Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 08:21   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

This is great news. About time! We ARE one country after all.
Old 30th October 2018, 10:26   #18
BANNED

Excellent. My son had a UP License, we took the NOC from Kanpur and the Gurugram RTO could not trace the License and found the NOC not acceptable. He had got the license at 18 and is now approaching 38. I checked mine the number was a four digit one issued in Lucknow and now the Kanpur no. (new format) is over 12 digits. Something similar must have happened with him. So after discussion with the RTO he get a fresh Haryana license issued.

Why can we not integrate all the RTOs across the land and have a single license. As for car registrations the fee has to be made the same all over. Only then can we have One India. It is only logical to have a single license and road tax certificate.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th March 2020 at 06:29. Reason: Typo error
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 14:46   #19
Senior - BHPian

Isn't road transport a subject under state jurisdiction?
I would argue for a common platform for better integration between state RTOs, but let state subjects remain as is.
We should remember that India is a federal republic, and centralization of everything under the sun doesn't help the cause.

To cite an example, I have, at different points of time, held driving licenses of 3 different US states. The only common thing between them was the size of the card, but switching between them due to good integration was smooth.
Old 30th October 2018, 18:46   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
I would argue for a common platform for better integration between state RTOs, but let state subjects remain as is.
We should remember that India is a federal republic, and centralization of everything under the sun doesn't help the cause.

To cite an example, I have, at different points of time, held driving licenses of 3 different US states. The only common thing between them was the size of the card, but switching between them due to good integration was smooth.
Road transport should be removed from the state's jurisdiction considering vehicles and people with licences can move between states.

Most state governments don't even have a proper system for reporting the sale of used vehicles and mechanisms to ensure that the buyer transfers ownership.

State government can't be trusted to integrate anything unless they are forced to. Why do you still have to go to a RTO only in your area of residence and not any RTO of your convenience like close to your workplace?

Why does a used car's owner transfer done in the buyer's RTO but the seller is held liable if the transfer is not done.

All vehicle laws and registration must be centralized.

Last edited by Sheel : 15th March 2020 at 21:02. Reason: Typo error.
Ragavsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 19:04   #21
Senior - BHPian

People are talking about different things we want on the backend.

How is having same format (look of it is what they are trying to standardize) help in any of the issues ? I dont see anywhere that it will all come under same database or something. These are going to be still issued by local authorities. Why do we have issues with being a little different as long as it has all the same information that can be used for any tracking (which I am not seeing here)

Last edited by srishiva : 30th October 2018 at 19:07.
Old 8th March 2019, 09:09   #22
Team-BHP Support

Change coming up effective July 2019. Good move, such uniformity in the format, design is necessary as digital adoption increases.

Quote:
From July 2019, new driving licences (DLs) and vehicle registration certificates (RCs) issued by all states and UTs will be uniform
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/66199699.cms
Old 8th March 2019, 10:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

New driving licences, registration certificates coming from October.

Quote:
Driving licences (DLs) and registration certificates (RCs) issued by transport departments across the country will have the same look, colour and security features starting October 1. Hiding past violations will be almost impossible as the new DLs and RCs will have the QR code that can be read by hand-held devices to access the past records of the driver or the vehicle from the central online database.

The road transport and highways ministry have issued a notification making it mandatory for the states to follow the uniform norm. However, the states have the option to install extra features such as a “chip” and the near-field communication (NFC) in these cards. The specifications by the Centre said that the chips in these documents must have the capacity to retain information of the driver and the vehicle for 10 years.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2019, 14:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragavsr View Post
Road transport should be removed from the state's jurisdiction considering vehicles and people with licences can move between states.
Mechanically propelled vehicles fall under Concurrent List (Item 35), so both Centre and States can make laws related to this. State laws/ amendments cannot be in contravention to the Central law and must be approved by the President of India.

Moreover, the policy decisions are done though a consultative process where each state/ UT is represented through the Transport Minister or nominee.

Quote:
Why do you still have to go to a RTO only in your area of residence and not any RTO of your convenience like close to your workplace?... All vehicle laws and registration must be centralized.
I agree, as these are the major cause of harassment and corruption. Also, having common registration without state codes will stop another cause of harassment (ask outside state vehicle owners in Bangalore).

Last edited by Sheel : 15th March 2020 at 21:03. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 8th March 2019, 15:08   #25
Team-BHP Support

I am in the process of renewing my DL this month as I am turning 50. So I can't really wait until october for the new format. I will be still getting a smartcard since Karnataka has had it for many years now.
Old 8th March 2019, 15:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

I hope they actually start rolling out the new card from October and this is not further delayed.
My licence is due to expiry In November this year.
Old 9th March 2019, 09:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
How is having same format (look of it is what they are trying to standardize) help in any of the issues ? I dont see anywhere that it will all come under same database or something. These are going to be still issued by local authorities. Why do we have issues with being a little different as long as it has all the same information that can be used for any tracking (which I am not seeing here)
It will help. I have an MH02 (Mumbai West) issued DL from 1993. One time in Aurangabad I was stopped by the police for a traffic violation and one of the cops started accusing me of carrying a fake DL. It was a card type license with dots for demerit points that the Mumbai RTOs were probably experimenting with back then but never caught on for some reason. I had a tough time walking out of that one, with righteous indignation as my only defence!

When I renewed it after 20 years I got the familiar red and white format DL that seems to be under discussion here (with some additional features). Now at least nobody suspects me of committing fraud!
noopster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2019, 12:01   #28

Driving license will change from October 1, new rules will apply across the country

According to the new rule, you will have to update your driving license. This is because now the driving registration certificate ie driving license with RC is legally required. And the colour of your driving license and RC will be completely changed. These rules will apply throughout the country.

Driving license and RC will be the same

For information, we would like to tell you that the format of driving license and RC is different in every state. Apart from this, the rules of the states are also different. But now this will not happen. Now there will be the same license and RC across the country. Apart from this, the colour of a driving license and RC will also be the same in every state. The Modi government had issued a notice some time back regarding this. According to which the driving license and RC will be the same and their information will also be in the same place.

Will this change

According to the information, the design of the driving license and RC will be done all over the country. Apart from this, the printing of driving license will also be the same across the country. It will be accompanied by a microchip and QR code in the driving license and RC. Through which the previous record can also be viewed. In which all the data of the user will be present.

Above info taken from: http://www.newscrab.com/article/indi...-country-10494
CaptBrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks