Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2007, 22:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

Why not include a poll???

I'm 100% for the use of timers at signals...
Old 8th January 2007, 22:53   #17
BHPian

never managed to switch off

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
Itz a Boon for me!

It helps me to better my mileage & relax too!
Whenever the counter is > 30 secs, I switch off the Car.
May be I have to learn this. I never switch off the engine at lights. How about AC, Music, ...
Old 8th January 2007, 23:01   #18
BHPian

My friends , nothing will change unless until authorities put strict rules. I've seen cars reaching half way down the road even when 5 sec are left and yes the honking begins when 7-8 seconds are left. I've not seen any stop lines in B'lore which if crossed during a red light is agaianst the rule and can be fined upto 500/- ( which is the case is delhi ). So again the boon or bane all depends on the rules laid down by authorities and steps taken to make sure they are followed.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:01   #19
Team-BHP Support

they are a boon but also a big pain. theres a signal next to my house a very big junction called indian express circle bangaloreans will know of it. traffic coming towards the junction from shivajinagar going to cunningham road has to cross the junction which is very long more than 200ft i guess. now say this signal is green and you begin to cross the minute the timer for the traffic coming from queens road reaches 5 everyone guns it. even if your signal is green your in deep trouble. many accidents have occurred here because of this.

i say the timer should be there while the light is green. that way sensible drivers may back off and stop when the green is 3-4 secs. amber doesnt serve the purpose here.

I've seen the traffic light system in singapore and they dont have timers for cars but for pedestrians. Secondly the delay is so huge between the signal turning from green to amber than red. After red there is a delay then only does the opposite side signal become green.

the best part all signals are on 24X7. and people follow it. even at 2:30am i have seen cars wait for pedestrian signals when there isn't a soul in sight.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:11   #20
BHPian

whats the need for timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post

I've seen the traffic light system in singapore and they dont have timers for cars but for pedestrians. Secondly the delay is so huge between the signal turning from green to amber than red. After red there is a delay then only does the opposite side signal become green.

the best part all signals are on 24X7. and people follow it. even at 2:30am i have seen cars wait for pedestrian signals when there isn't a soul in sight.
I never understood why timer is required. When orange comes on any vehicle that has crossed the stop line continues, others stop if they can. For red to orange to green, vehicles have to wait for traffic in the median to clear and then proceed. If followed well whats the need for a timer ? Things seem to be working fine in US and else where. One can argue it helps reduce pollution because engines can be turned off, but the fraction that turn off engines is so less that it does not help.
Old 8th January 2007, 23:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not include a poll???

I'm 100% for the use of timers at signals...
Dont think there are many with timers in TVM..!!!

Most of the places its controlled by traffic police
Old 8th January 2007, 23:51   #22
BHPian

A B C D ...

I think they should start showing 'A, B C D E F .... Z' and then '1 2 3 4..... 9' and some other further education to educate our illiterate and indisciplined call center drivers

At least, if they are paying attention ,they won't chew your brains with incessant honking.
Old 9th January 2007, 00:51   #23
elf
BANNED

I feel quite lost when I don't see the timers. Also helps me decide what I'm going to do when I approach a signal - gun the engine, continue at my leisurely breakneck pace, or simply stand on the brakes & hope the moron behind me doesn't turn my sedan into a hatchback.

Helps whilst waiting even - time to light a ciggie, send an SMS or go around the back & flip a disc in the changer in the trunk...
Old 9th January 2007, 01:15   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugram View Post
Again the authorities are to blame. Imagine a situation - 6.00 am in the morning and the signals are on and you are the only person in the entire stretch and you need to wait till the signal turns green. No other soul in sight. What i mean here is the traffic authorities have to take proper timing studies before implementing them.
Why blame? As a responsible and educated citizen, it is your duty to obey a traffic signal even at 6 am and with empty roads.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:02   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass View Post
I never understood why timer is required. When orange comes on any vehicle that has crossed the stop line continues, others stop if they can. For red to orange to green, vehicles have to wait for traffic in the median to clear and then proceed. If followed well whats the need for a timer ? Things seem to be working fine in US and else where. One can argue it helps reduce pollution because engines can be turned off, but the fraction that turn off engines is so less that it does not help.
From Red the signals go straight to green no amber at that point. What I was trying to say was the delays in the signals are not proper here. If you see the amber and you are about to cross a signal ideally the other side should see a red so they dont start till your side is red. this is not the case in india.

When it's your amber the opposite side is green. that means your in trouble. Ideally when one side changes from green to amber to red there should be a delay of 5 secs before the signal for the other side changes from red to green.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:13   #26
Senior - BHPian

Definitely a boon.

They are a boon. If the timer shows 60secs or more, I switch off & relax. If used properly, timers could save many barrels of precious oil for our country and save the users quite some money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshx
Most of the times I have seen vehicles start moving once the countdown reaches 6 or 5. This usually takes the time out of pedestrian who are crossing roads.
Happens in Chennai also. And as you said,it is usually the pedestrians that suffer. However, the solution is not in modifying the system, because however well-designed a system is, it cannot be made idiot-proof.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:24   #27
BHPian

never realized

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
From Red the signals go straight to green no amber at that point. What I was trying to say was the delays in the signals are not proper here. If you see the amber and you are about to cross a signal ideally the other side should see a red so they dont start till your side is red. this is not the case in india.

When it's your amber the opposite side is green. that means your in trouble. Ideally when one side changes from green to amber to red there should be a delay of 5 secs before the signal for the other side changes from red to green.
Amber for one side and green for cross traffic, oooh doesn't it mean trouble. I never realized that. I thought its RED for all other until the present AMBER turns RED. Boy what kindaaa silly system is this . Its actually worth a few more smilies, dont want to be thrown out......

Last edited by sreenivass : 9th January 2007 at 11:25.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
You are right in a way. If there is the orange signal between red and green, then the timer is not really required. However, for reasons unclear to me, I do not see the orange much in Chennai signals. It is usually red to green straight or vice-versa.

As many mentioned, the main benefit comes from the oil savings and decrease in pollution due to people switching off the engines.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:48   #29
Team-BHP Support

Timers are useful if implemented correctly. with the current way of implementation they are a hazard as well.

With the type of drivers we have in India a better way to regulate is to have those doors which open up then only the traffic starts to move like in the horse derby's.

I guess majority of these 2/3 wheelers and cab drivers are like those horses which have a limited line of sight as soon as the gate opens they charge. that should do the trick. LOL.
Old 9th January 2007, 11:58   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshx View Post
I strongly think all timers should go off once it reaches 20 or 15 sec. You should be guessing for some time at least
Haha. I've seen a better version of this at a couple of signals in Kolkata. The light suddenly turns green while there's still 8-10 seconds left in the countdown and then the numbers vanish. Drivers are taken unawares and there's no inching and rushing ! Of course, it must be a glitch in the signal software, but it is effective

I find timers to be useful overall.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks