Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2007, 14:58   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreenivass
Coming to pollution perspective, talk about those vehicles that leave clouds of smoke leaving people behind to get coughing and suffocated. What percentage of drivers in India turn off their engine at intersections when the timer shows more than 30secs or 45 secs ? Its very less.
Those are public transport / govt vehicles etc over which we do not have control. But atleast we have control over our vehicle and can take steps that would be beneficial for the common interest, right ? The %age of people that switch off might be low, but it is increasing as awareness grows.

Do a google and you will find research reports that indicate that even switching off for 15secs has a big impact. Infact some places in US/Canada have made this into a law ?

Infact I even do that on my bike (no electric start). I do not mind having to take the effort to kick start. However, I do not see many people doing the same on their new bikes/scooters that have easy electric start. Maybe they are not aware. If the Govt. spreads the message, you will see more people doing this.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th January 2007 at 15:04.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:00   #47
Team-BHP Support

If it's only for 30-40secs it is not advisable to switch off the engine. According to me you will waste more fuel in starting the car than by keeping the engine on for 30secs. If it's 60secs or more I do turn the ignition off as well.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:02   #48
BHPian

heard it from a US colleague

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My observation was at Atlanta, which during summer is almost Chennai-like. I do agree that at places where it is really cold, there might be a rationale to leaving the engines on.

6$ a gallon ? No way. If that was the case, the Americans will make hell for their leaders. I think it is around 2-3$ now in Atlanta.
I heard it from a colleague coming from US. $6 he mentioned was in NY. $2 to $3 is old news. It went close to $3 in CA in as early as 2004.
Old 9th January 2007, 15:06   #49
Senior - BHPian

Well, it did go up to 3$ or even more, but that was quite some time ago. The current prices are much lower. Oil prices worldwide have come down and sort of stabilised.

Members from the US could throw light on this.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 9th January 2007 at 15:08.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:25   #50
Senior - BHPian

Current crude price is US$ 55.33 for NY Sweet. I think the retail is going to be around the $2-2.5 mark.
Old 9th January 2007, 17:41   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Yes, even if the left is a free left, taking the U turn comes with its share of problems (as esteem_lover mentioned) . I used to do the same at times till I read somewhere that it is wrong. Unfortunately can't find the source of the information now.
One of my friends, who is senior police officer, had mentioned long time back that it is illegal to take U turn within 'X' meters from the signal (I guess 50 meters or so), since it can obstruct traffic on that side road.

I think, timers are excellent innovation and should be used wherever possible. If they are being misused, it reflect badly on those misusing timers and not timers themselves.

In US, people keep their engines running only in cold. This is to avoid the car getting cold and engine temperature dropping below optimum. It is required there and not because of any extravaganza. (Agree with troupes part though )
Old 18th July 2007, 00:55   #52
BHPian

they are 'no doubt' a boon, than bane.. in fact, have been noticing them on highways too, like in the toll road between Bangalore & Chennai
Old 18th July 2007, 11:41   #53
BHPian

There are some signals in Pune that have been set to count down to 3 secs and then immediately turn green. In a way, this helps reduce the chaos created (to some extent) by people jumping the signal when the timer reaches 4-5 secs.

The - "can't beat them (the signal jumpers), join them" principle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks