Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 19:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Installed! Remote-operated Gate at my house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post
Great idea. I think I will have to install one of these at my parents place. . It is very convenient to have especially if the drivers are elderly.
===
Don't use an electrician who can only do jugaad stuff.
Thank you! Regarding the cables running to and fro the junction box it was DIY hence a bit clumsy. My local electrician only brought an electric line to the gate. Actually, reiterating on the same thing, when I'm off to work, on the rig, I actually disable it, as my parent's driver prefers being mechanical. One question though, can you please share why you think the electrical cabinet is dangerously placed? If something's amiss I need to address it. (It's not visible on the pics, the whole cabinet is bolted in place against a rectangle frame on the back.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Great Idea and congratulations on not giving up after failing in the first attempt
Can you tell us what happens in case of a power failure, wire snap etc, can you still manually operate this gate?
Thank you. To answer your question, in case of power failure the board assumes the gate was open. On pressing the clicker, it attempts to close it first. In case, the gate is already closed, the motor makes a buzzing noise (attempting to move, but can't). After that it works normally. The relay switch goes to 'off' position too. So general procedure after power failure: switch on relay - close gate - open gate. Secondly, for wire snap, in case it gets short circuited, the cartridge fuse in the control board blows. As additional safety the power line is also protected by a MCB. To manually operate the gate there is a small key which can be used to bypass the motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by br_876 View Post
Great setup at an amazing price. I didn't have the time to go with DIY.
=====
After getting used to the remote gate, there is no going back.
Thank you. I hope your system is working great! Can you also share yor experience with it? Like the setup, connections etc. There is also a thread, as mentioned by @GTO in this post (Installed! Remote-operated Gate at my house), which is about a sliding gate query.
chiro3110 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 17:29   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro3110 View Post
Thank you! Regarding the cables running to and fro the junction box it was DIY hence a bit clumsy. My local electrician only brought an electric line to the gate. Actually, reiterating on the same thing, when I'm off to work, on the rig, I actually disable it, as my parent's driver prefers being mechanical. One question though, can you please share why you think the electrical cabinet is dangerously placed? If something's amiss I need to address it. (It's not visible on the pics, the whole cabinet is bolted in place against a rectangle frame on the back.)

I appreciate that you took notice of my comments related to safety. I understand it's a DIY job. I think the electrical cabinet is dangerously placed because it is adjacent to your driveway. What if someone opens the door of car parked next to it? What if a child riding a bicycle knocks it off, etc. Also you may be watering the plants around it. How are going to water those plants ensuring that water is not getting into your cabinet? Is it water proof? is it rated for outdoor use? Are your cables rated for outdoor use? As I see in pics, you are missing strain reliefs for some of your connections. I see insulation taped wire joints without prober terminal blocks, etc. I see a free hanging electrical socket which most likely is not rated for outdoor use. You should have zero exposed loose cables. You cannot use PVC ducts for such applications. I assume you have ensured that the actuators can be easily stopped by hand if needed. I am not trying to scare you . Just some basic things to consider.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2018 at 21:06. Reason: Quote fixed.
Theyota is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2018, 21:06   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theyota View Post

I appreciate that you took notice of my comments related to safety. I understand it's a DIY job. I think the electrical cabinet is dangerously placed because it is adjacent to your driveway. What if someone opens the door of car parked next to it? What if a child riding a bicycle knocks it off, etc. Also you may be watering the plants around it. How are going to water those plants ensuring that water is not getting into your cabinet? Is it water proof? is it rated for outdoor use? Are your cables rated for outdoor use? As I see in pics, you are missing strain reliefs for some of your connections. I see insulation taped wire joints without proper terminal blocks, etc. I see a free hanging electrical socket which most likely is not rated for outdoor use. You should have zero exposed loose cables. You cannot use PVC ducts for such applications. I assume you have ensured that the actuators can be easily stopped by hand if needed. I am not trying to scare you . Just some basic things to consider.

@Theyota Thank you very much for explaining the circumstances so clearly, I now understand the risks you were mentioning. Some of the points, yes has been taken care of. Firstly, the junction box is a proper outdoor rated electrical enclosure bought from Amazon US. The accessory socket stays inside it. Secondly, strain relief on the wires are via proper cable glands to ensure its secure and the IP rating of the box is not compromised. For safety like bike and car movements, I just hope they are a bit careful (for now there aren't any kids) . For the other points, regarding cables, indeed it's a bit shoddy, next time I get an opportunity I will get ask for improvement from my electrician. I really appreciate that you brought up these points, it's better be safe than sorry!
Old 15th November 2018, 19:29   #19
BHPian

Great job. And you have done it at a pittance of a price one would normally associate with such a set up. Frugal engineering at its best. Is there a risk of the set up being stolen? Not the door, but the electricals?

Another thing for those of us in Bombay is how green and nice the rest of India is.
Old 3rd March 2019, 18:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
Great job. And you have done it at a pittance of a price one would normally associate with such a set up. Frugal engineering at its best. Is there a risk of the set up being stolen? Not the door, but the electricals?

Another thing for those of us in Bombay is how green and nice the rest of India is.
Firstly, sorry for the extremely late response. Thank you for the appreciation. Also, for the greenery I'm afraid urbanization is consuming the greenery pretty fast! About the electricals, I would say the only safeguard is the live electrical connections. If the thieves are adept with electrical fittings, then the circuits are only secured in place with nuts and bolts. However, since a long time we have installed lights and a fountain in the front yard and there hasn't been any issues till now.
Old 3rd March 2019, 20:16   #21
BHPian

Great Job on the gate, Can you please guide where we can get a 433 mhz remote online, We have DEA Remote Gate opener installed and need a new remote but cannot source it.
Old 7th March 2019, 13:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmaka View Post
Great Job on the gate, Can you please guide where we can get a 433 mhz remote online, We have DEA Remote Gate opener installed and need a new remote but cannot source it.
Thank you! Locally it was available on the erstwhile eBay India. Now, you should try searching on AliExpress. Make sure to select a good delivery option in case you choose them. I believe return policy would be bit tricky, hence absolutely make sure of the frequency.
Old 10th December 2021, 10:05   #23
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

A friend is looking to get extra remotes for his garage door. The supplier is charging an absurd amount. Do you know anyone who will clone remotes in Bangalore?
Old 13th September 2022, 20:50   #24
BHPian

Since covid somehow started to lock the front gate. Now I want to add a magnetic lock to it. Idea is to have a manually operated switch to energize/de-energize to lock/un-lock. Are there any solutions that can operate with multiple remotes ?

Else, I will add a Sonoff kind of device and control the switch using the app on phone. Hope multiple people either inside or outside the house can control the same lock.
Old 9th November 2022, 23:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Since covid somehow started to lock the front gate. Now I want to add a magnetic lock to it. Idea is to have a manually operated switch to energize/de-energize to lock/un-lock. Are there any solutions that can operate with multiple remotes ?

Else, I will add a Sonoff kind of device and control the switch using the app on phone. Hope multiple people either inside or outside the house can control the same lock.
Try a video door phone preferably an IP one so that you can unlock or lock from inside and use the app in phone to unlock from outside and the added security of conversing and seeing the person outside from inside your home

Cheers
Dr Alpha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks