Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is the longest time you have spent in a traffic jam?
Never spent over 2 hours in any jam 106 30.64%
2 - 3 hours 76 21.97%
3 - 4 hours 75 21.68%
4 - 5 hours 40 11.56%
5 - 6 hours 15 4.34%
6+ hours 34 9.83%
Voters: 346. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2018, 14:03   #31
BHPian

Re: What is the longest time you have spent in a traffic jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
As a student, haven't seen too much of high traffic.
Two instances which I've get annoyed by:
1. Arekere to KR Puram on a Friday evening in Banglore- took about 3 hours to do ~30km.
2. Crossing the I-405 in LA (San Diego bound) on a Friday afternoon. Took about 3 hours to drive from Northridge (NW LA) to Huntington Beach- a distance of about 60 miles. Did the next 90 odd miles in 75 minutes.
Trust me, crossing that stretch of 405 on a Friday noon in 3 hours is an accomplishment. Your average is 20 mph. Normally LA peak traffic average speed is around 10 mph especially on I405 and Rt101. Incidentally LA is rated as the city with the worst traffic in the world in a recent survey. Rt 101 in LA is considered the worst road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Ankleshwar GIDC is one of the biggest Industrial areas in Asia. During evening hours 1800 to 2200, all the employees and workers of Ankleshwar GIDC rush back to Bharuch. That used to be a major reason for traffic Jam at Golden Gate bridge. I got stuck at Golden Gate's jams many times for more than 3 hours.

However, nothing can match the notorious traffic jam zone of Rohtang to Manali. For me, the saga of getting stuck at Rohtang Pass started from 2009. Back in July 2009, We spent more than four hours on the slopes of Rohtang pass.
===
Attachment 1815569
Looking at the pics, the traffic looks very disciplined despite of the heavy jam.

The top 3 experiences for me are
1. One day, passing through Bangalore's beloved Silkboard Junction, it took me 4 hours in the office bus to go from BTM to Electronic City. The one point I vividly remember to this day was, I got off the bus leaving my bag and went to Udupi Garden restaurant and had my breakfast for good 35 mins and came back only to see that the bus had literally moved only a few inches.

2. LA to Las Vegas is one stretch which is prone to huge traffic jams. During one of my trips, coming back from Vegas to LA, it took me 8 hours to cover a distance which could be done in 3-3.5 hrs usually.Just like Bangalore, you never know when and why traffic jams happen in LA.

3. Coastal Andhra people in Hyderabad go to their native places during Sankranti festival, which is one of the biggest festival in the state. During one such rush period I was in a bus travelling to Vijayawada and got stuck at this toll booth which is just outside Hyd. It took us 1.5 hrs to cross this one toll booth

While we talk about jams in hours, I have read that in China, especially during their new year period, the traffic jams last for days at a stretch. Any one in the group has experienced the same in China?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2018 at 14:35. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 14:07   #32
BHPian

Happened just yesterday. Got royally stuck in the western burbs of Bombay and took a whole 2.5 hours to commute from Powai to Borivali a distance of measly 19 kms. Had left office at 08:15 PM and reach home around 10:40 PM

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 6th November 2018, 14:33   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Happened just yesterday. Got royally stuck in the western burbs of Bombay and took a whole 2.5 hours to commute from Powai to Borivali a distance of measly 19 kms. Had left office at 08:15 PM and reach home around 10:40 PM

Regards
Dieseltuned
To be honest this is quite common on this stretch since the last two years and hence you haven't seen the worst of Bombay as yet

On the topic -- Once it took me about 6 hours to cover a distance of 44Kms on a 'regular' day. The reason being - too much traffic at Powai (inside Hiranandani), at Thane toll naka, then on the Nasik highway and finally at Kalyan bridge. No rains, no man made calamity :(
sunilch is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 14:34   #34
BHPian

After going through this thread I realised that I have been (un)fortunate enough to get stuck in both the legendary traffic jams mentioned here - The Bharuch-Ankleshwar Jam and the Rohtang-Manali Jam. Luckily, I was not driving in either of them.

I was stuck in a VRL Volvo from Ahmedabad to Bangalore when we reached Bharuch (I was already aware of the nightmares that can happen here). I was watching 3 Idiots in the bus when we approached the bridge over Narmada river and the movie ended when we got off the bridge.

I was a teenager travelling with parents in a Tata Sumo taxi when we got stuck on the way to Rohtang pass. That traffic jam took a toll on our entire tour itinerary.

I keep hopping between Ahmedabad and Bangalore and have travelled through the infamous Silk Board Junction but I am yet to get stuck in city traffic for more than an hour. I thank my lucky stars!
targaryen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 14:37   #35
BANNED

5-6 hours. Because one hour commute took 6 hours that day.

It was 2016 Summers when it rained cats and dogs in gurgaon. Everything around Hero Honda Chowk came to a stop. There was no flyover or underpass back then.

I decided to leave the car in office parking as it could get stuck wading through deep Waters. Those 3-wheeled chimneys we call shared auto, were nowhere to be found. So the walk in the opposite direction to get the auto was a waste of time. Then walked to iffco Chowk to get a bus. Reached Dharuhera and walked some more. Arrived home after midnight.

I used to be a car person.
That day, the need to have a bike that can
- wade through deep waters
- cross dividers
- climb footpaths
forced me to consider buying either a new Himalayan or a used impulse. Chose the Impulse for being a better VFM.

This year, it happened again. But we now have the flyover. So nh8 traffic can fly over. The ground level traffic situation was also not too bad. The underpass helped a lot by containing all the excess water.

There was traffic but it didn't affect me. I just picked up the Navi and rode on the divider/foot path whenever the traffic came to a stop. People tend to be easy on the Navi and gave way when I wanted to switch from road to off road. May be they were just curious to see if the little bug could do it.

Got on and off the road thrice. Reached office on time, as if nothing had happened.

Now I'm a biker and I intend to learn how I can have (even) more fun on two wheels.
MaheshY1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 15:35   #36
BHPian

Going through the number of posts belonging to the different cities, I think Mumbai is very close behind Bangalore when it comes to massive traffic jams.

My wife moved to Mumbai from Bangalore after marriage and she says that she doesn't think Mumbai traffic jam is any better than Bangalore's. Her shifting in August during full monsoons didn't help my case either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
10+ hours Aug 29 2017 in Mumbai. This was during the incessant rains in Mumbai last year. Left office at 3:30 PM and reached home at 1:30 AM the next day. Car was the Civic. I must have switched the car on off atleast more than 50 times as we crawled through the mess. At the end of the journey I had to even drive to a feet of water which resemble a sea. I was pretty anxious as water was getting splashed by heavier vehicles but the Civic managed to 'sail' through.
Even I was stuck that day returning from Goregaon to Chembur and got stuck on the airport flyover. The traffic jam was so long that I felt that i would run out of fuel even though I had half a tank with me. And the rainfall intensity was so high that I was scared to turn off the car fearing it would not start. Finally a typo, by my friend who asked me how long would it take to reach office (he intended to type home) gave me an idea. I decided to take a u-turn and head back to office.
Saw a daredevil TUV 300 come on the Northbound lane splashing and crossing water like a boss only to breakdown exactly opposite me in the other lane due to water going in.
puneetakhouri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 15:44   #37
BHPian

The longest time I've spent in traffic was 2.5 hours to cover a distance on nearly 2 kms. This was 3 years ago from the underpass at Marthahalli all the way to the Doddanekundi junction.

Every time I get frustrated sitting in a traffic jam for 15 minutes, my wife reminds me of this incident from 3 years ago.
Old 6th November 2018, 15:47   #38
BHPian

I had two instances of traffic halt in Bangalore. One was due to heavy rain and the other was due to a political party meeting inside Palace grounds (Nowadays they don't allow very huge gatherings inside city). In both cases, it took 6-7 hours to cover a distance of 27 KMs.
Old 6th November 2018, 18:47   #39
BHPian

I had once to visit someone who stays about 120 kms from my place and it was a journey which normally takes 3 hours up and 3 hours down, however on that eventful day it took me 15 hours with a break of 1 hour at the destination. I left at 7 am and returned home at 2230. An unforgettable journey.
sparky@home is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 01:48   #40
BHPian

Sometime in 2007, got an office pick-up vehicle at 1.30am for a 3am shift.
Left from Vasai, reached NH8 and got stuck in traffic - reason being some major accident.
Luckily there was a dhaba right where we were stuck, so got in.
We had numerous cups of chai, had breakfast, slept on the cots. Traffic started moving only around 6.30am. Finally reached office (Malad) at 9am! Just 3hrs of work and back home!
Old 7th November 2018, 07:40   #41
BHPian

Once there was a cement mixer which broke down on the up ramp of Bellandur flyover at around 5pm on a weeekday. Unknowingly I left from my office in Pritech park at the sametime. It took me close to 4 hours just to get out of Pritech/Ecospace and onto service road towards Yemalur. Thats like 4 hours to cross less than 0.5kms.
kiran_cr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 09:29   #42
BHPian

I have got stuck twice on the elevated flyover in Bangalore for over 5 hours and once in Chennai where it took me almost 8 hours to cross OMR Road from Thoraipakkam to Velachery (it was raining cats and dogs that day).
Old 7th November 2018, 09:40   #43
MMV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
A couple of years back it was a long weekend and some impromptu plan happened to go to Lonavala from Mumbai. Left home at 11.00 am and reached destination around 3.30. Worst traffic jam I have ever come across. The ghat was packed and crawling at snails pace. My friend's Skoda Superb shut down for a while on the ghat due to overheated gearbox. By the time I reached the destination, my Chevy Beat was emitting burning smell due to over heating of clutch.

Decided to be very careful about traffic conditions when heading out of Mumbai during long weekends or festive holidays.
Probably on the same day, even I was stuck enroute to Lonavala from Mumbai for long hours. It was due to some oil tanker slipping over, that's what I remember, the whole stretch to Lonavala on Mumbai Pune E-way was jammed.
Me along with family was stuck on upward slope and I was crawling on half clutch with slow progress being made every alternate minute. The jam was exacerbated by several cars (noticed few DZire taxis) breaking down. Though most cars were maintained lane discipline while crawling upwards, few cars (the Mercs and Fortuners noticeably) were taking advantage of their AT and tredging faster , adding to the Misery of masses (read MT cars)
After that weekend, I remember discussing over lunch in office showing the photo in ToI and opining AT made better sense in such conditions
Old 7th November 2018, 13:21   #44
BHPian

The one I remember was on NH4 all the way from Satara almost till Pune literally on the weekend right after Diwali about 2-3 years ago

The 6-laning was in full-flow then so as soon as the MSRDC stretch ends just before Satara, the roads were totally jammed

Spent so much time in 1st gear and crawling that by the time I reached Pune my left leg was almost numb

I had reached Satara around 5pm and thought I would have dinner at home in Pune but instead I reached home at 1.30am with 2 kids in the car and having a moving dinner in the car itself.

My dad managed to hop out of the car, get dinner packed and walk back to the car just about 300-400 meters ahead from where I dropped him, this shows how slow the whole thing was
anand.shankar82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 14:51   #45
BHPian

The maximum I have got stuck in a traffic jam was around 8.5 hours or so! I was traveling to my home town (Patna, Bihar) from Noida and got stuck somewhere before Varanasi on NH2 (now called as NH19). The reason was that it was the Kanwariya season and one side of the highway was blocked for them to walk on it and the traffic was made to suffer on one side. We were stuck at one point for almost close to 4.5 hours and it took us 8.5 hours to get out of that traffic and I could only reach the destination by 3:00 AM. That was almost 24 hours of highway driving!

Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks