Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2007, 13:35   #1
Senior - BHPian

Dicor VX injury!!!

It had to happen sooner or later given the NCR battle maze that we drive through. My only regret being that it happened for no fault of mine (though 9 times out of 10 that's what happens)! I was on my way to Office yesterday morning at around 10.30 am. I was running late but NOT pelting or driving rash, just cruising along listening to Bob Dylan's Modern Times. Maybe I should blame him........

Proceeding towards Okhla, past the Nehru Place flyover, in front of the Bus Terminal, now picture this - on the extreme right hand lane (right next to the central divider/wall, cannot go any further right) peacefully minding my business when, out of the corner of my left eye, I see a motorbike skidding out of control (he must have been at around 40-50, dunno and there was some altercation or something with an Indica) and spinning straight TOWARDS MY PASSENGER SIDE at a fair lick!

In a flash, I realized that braking would not help, he'd hit me in any case so I floored the pedal in the hope that I would get by before he arrived(!) but that was not to be - a LOUD thud and the bu***r had slammed into my front left door, then another thud as he hit the rear wheel arch.

So I stopped & got off.....you can imagine my mood - PI***D OFF would be an understatement. The Indica driver had also stopped & got off & he was abusing the motorcycle guy (who was on the ground along with his pillon rider & motorcycle) and the m'cycle guy was on the defensive.

My first reaction was to pull the guy up from the ground & check for any serious injuries (hitting a 3 tonner at that speed could not have been a pleasant feeling ) but fortunately there were none, then I looked at my silver beauty and my mood went for a further dip - a huge dent on the door, not to mention scratches on the paint on both the doors, rear bumper cladding chipped in one corner and alloy wheel center cap cracked! All because some stupid idiot could not control his motorcycle!

Anyway, I amazed even myself by what I did next! I pointed out the damage to him, he was highly apologetic & then I let him go!!!!! To be honest, I was itching to THRASH the Indica guy because he must have done whatever that made the biker swerve & lose control and cause this mess. The mobike was also damaged, the guy was hurt so what could I do guys???? I let him go without a shout or an abuse .

Mind you, I HATE the way these bikers zip in & out of traffic & tap mirrors etc so I normally never resist giving them a piece of my mind or an elbow/tail wiggle whenever I get an opportunity but somehow I was feeling sorry for the b*****d......does that make any sense??

Some pics of the damage - looks almost as if I got hit at a traffic intersection running a red light instead of what actually happened!

So that was my Terrible Tuesday! This morning, apprehensively made my way to the workshop & they initially asked me to fill up the Claim papers as the amount would be quite a bit if both doors & rear bumper cladding were to be repaired and painted.....subsequently their body shop guys & the Senior Works Manager told me that they'd fix it appropriately and it would cost less than half of what they'd said earlier - so, to avoid the impact of the no-claim & "loading" for purposes of next year's renewal, it now makes sense for me to not claim any insurance. I must say the amount mentioned seems very reasonable to me, I hope they do a good job! He's said they'll try & give it back within a day but I'm mentally prepared for two or three days. So first thing on Saturday morning, I intend to give my beauty for the "treatment".

I'm now in a slightly better frame of mind.

MORAL OF THE STORY: S**t happens when you least expect it & there's nothing you can do to prevent the dung stains!

PS: This is one TOUGH babe by the way - the speed at which the biker hit, a sedan would have had a completely crumpled door, not to mention (probably) glass breakage, power window mechanism damage, speaker damage etc.

Last edited by suman : 10th January 2007 at 13:38.
Old 10th January 2007, 13:40   #2
Senior - BHPian

OUCH! That hurts!

My sympathies, Suman - I can feel because it looks exactly like my beast....

Let me know how the repair job went. I have to get my entire RHS painted after some DH put a deep scratch ALL THE WAY DOWN the side (every panel included) with a nail or a key....
Old 10th January 2007, 13:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Let me know how the repair job went. I have to get my entire RHS painted after some DH put a deep scratch ALL THE WAY DOWN the side (every panel included) with a nail or a key....
JEEZ!!! That is really pathetic. Dunno what cheap thrills these morons get. I though only Delhi had these DHs, but I guess Cochin is not immune to their "charms" as well
Old 10th January 2007, 13:48   #4
BANNED

Hey Suman, sorry to see the damage. Very glad that no one was badly hurt though. Don't worry, she's a tough girl!
Old 10th January 2007, 13:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
so, to avoid the impact of the no-claim & "loading" for purposes of next year's renewal, it now makes sense for me to not claim any insurance.
Actually Suman, what you should have done is called the cops there and then. From personal experience I can tell you that in Delhi, teh Cops are pretty prompt. Also, the intersection that you have mentioned always has two or three cops at all times of the day (this is the MOdi Flour mills intersection-right?)

Anyways, once an FIR is registered, you could have claimed your damage from the insurance of the indica guy or the bike wallah- either ways, yo would not have had to pay for your damage!
Old 10th January 2007, 14:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

Suman, sad regarding ur beast. Guess not much can be done against these things. Will have to move on, i guess.

By the way, did the indica guy stay back during the process, or go away after giving the biker a piece of his mind?
Old 10th January 2007, 14:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Suman, hurts to read about this. Hope you get her back soon, as spotless as was before.

Reminds of my own incident - as usual, bikes: Coasting to a halt at a signal. Traffic is coming in from the opposite side and this guy on a bike crosses the yellow line to overtake others in front of him, trying to gain a few meters. The result: 17K of repairs & replacements, after trying all I can to cut down the cost.

Dont know how much it would help to call the cops, esp in situations like this. Even if we can prove it was not our mistake, the other guys insurance will not pay anything. It is still our insurance that takes a hit.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, thanks for your sympathies & understanding! Hope I get her back spotless as well, Steeroid will let you know & post some pics in due course.....

Condor, man that's FRUSTRATING, 17k for no fault of yours! I can imagine how you felt....and I agree with the cop bit.

Himanshu, it wasn't at an intersection, it was near the Nehru Place Bus Terminal entrance, on a straight stretch of road just after the Nehru Place flyover. He must have been weaving in traffic & got pushed by the Indica or something & lost control. No cops there but even if they were, if I know them, they would have told me that the biker was hurt so I should just forget it and move on.

Benbsb29, the Indica driver did wait till I got back into my car and then he drove off. Not that it helped, perhaps I shouldn't have restrained myself & just let fly at him!

Last edited by suman : 10th January 2007 at 14:17.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:20   #9
BHPian

Suman, sorry to hear about the accident. Good that you were able to maintain your composure. Also liked your pragmatic approach. Initially it hurts, then gradually we get used to it.

regards
Tifosi.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:22   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
...then I looked at my silver beauty and my mood went for a further dip - a huge dent on the door, not to mention scratches on the paint on both the doors, rear bumper cladding chipped in one corner and alloy wheel center cap cracked! All because some stupid idiot could not control his motorcycle!
Sad incident, but unavoidable from your point of view. I assume you will at least have to do an alignment check and balancing because of the impact on your wheel. I wonder what other maintenance the alloy will need -- can it be repaired?
Old 10th January 2007, 14:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
I wonder what other maintenance the alloy will need -- can it be repaired?
The alloy wheel itself is not damaged, thank god! There is a cap which fits in the center (see the gap in the center of the wheel) which has cracked.

Thanks for reiterating the bit about the balancing, I intend to get that done though they've inspected the wheel and assured me there are no damages (just a couple of small scratches)

Last edited by suman : 10th January 2007 at 14:32.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the damage Suman I know how bad it feels when you baby get damaged for fault of yours. Hopefully the repair cost is reasonable otherwise give me a call & I'll have it fixed from my garage.
Old 10th January 2007, 14:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
So I stopped & got off.....you can imagine my mood - PI***D OFF would be an understatement.

My first reaction was to pull the guy up from the ground & check for any serious injuries (hitting a 3 tonner at that speed could not have been a pleasant feeling ) but fortunately there were none,

Anyway, I amazed even myself by what I did next! I pointed out the damage to him, he was highly apologetic & then I let him go!!!!! To be honest, I was itching to THRASH the Indica guy because he must have done whatever that made the biker swerve & lose control and cause this mess. The mobike was also damaged, the guy was hurt so what could I do guys???? I let him go without a shout or an abuse
Suman - Sorry about the incident and damage to the car but the restraint you showed is awesome. Anger doesnt get us anywhere in situations like this , might only aggravate the situation.

The Car will be back in spic and span shape...its a tough beast , the Safari.

Take care and chill
Old 10th January 2007, 15:02   #14
BHPian

Feel bad for you Suman. Especially when ur ride is so close to ur heart. But i'm glad u didn't thrash the biker. Some generousity here and there pays of somewhere else. Hope ur ride is back soon and with no more damage for a long time.. cheers,,
Old 10th January 2007, 15:26   #15
BHPian

Omg!!

Really feel sorry for you Suman!!. Just got shocked after viewing the pictures. Hope you get the beauty back on the road soon.

Most Viewed