Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2018, 15:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: What significant measures did you take to minimise your daily commute?

Well I don't per-se reduce my commute timings, but certainly take the following steps to bring peace of mind into my work day:

1. Timings: I've done either 800am-500pm timings or noon-ish to 9-ish timings. Parking lot to parking lot, I've taken anywhere between 18 min to half hour at most on bad days for a 10 km commute.
2. Google Maps traffic: I look up for Google traffic times for my commute. Anything more than 30 min, either I wait or take a different route.
3. Route: I sometimes take a circuitous route (like 2-3 km detour on a 5-10 km city jaunt, and as many as 20-100 km on a highway run) just to avoid bottlenecks and death-wish traffic. It's not going to save me time, but certainly gives lot of peace of mind. Yes, I do this in a country where the nation drives on the wrong side to save 1/2 km to that U-turn.
4. Mode of transportation: I would never bother riding a 2-wheeler to work. I don't have the temperament for it. And that there has been 4 different occasions my parents have been in bike accidents, doesn't help this. I would continue to drive, till the time CMRL Phase 2 gets completed to my workplace (hopefully in the next 10 years).
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 16:04   #17
Team-BHP Support

I decided to quit my job and dictate my pace.

Only thing is that a lot of my potential clients are in the great giant car park on the ORR. It will be a case of work, take a break, get some more work in etc.
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 16:36   #18
BHPian

Two years back our office timing used to be 10 to 7. Now it is 8:30 to 5:30. All this to avoid being part of peak time traffic.

I never plan for a movie or shopping or overnight getaways with family on weekends or public holidays. It is always on weekdays by taking leave and compensating by working on weekends. It saves $$ too .
Moto_Hill is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 17:18   #19
BHPian

As expected, most of the contributions on this thread are from Bangalore!

What did I do?

I switched jobs and now work closer to home. Instead of going to Gurgaon, I now go to Okhla.
  • From a 54 km round trip, I now have a 7 km round trip. A 85% reduction in distance.
  • From spending 2 hours and 45 minutes on the road, I've come down to a total commute of 40 minutes. 75% reduction in time spent on the road.
Viraat13 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 17:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto_Hill View Post
I never plan for a movie or shopping or overnight getaways with family on weekends or public holidays.
While I agree on overnight getaways. I've felt Sundays are actually better for in-city outings to the movies/malls. Its not cutthroat as Saturdays. Roads are free in the mornings and afternoons. I also used to pick Saturday late evening shows for movies, so I can return home in peace when the rest of the city sleeps.

Weekdays for movies, doesn't make sense. Since you deal with the same traffic. no?
narayans80 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 18:16   #21
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I've managed to keep daily commutes for work and the child's school to a minimum so far. Have been lucky to work in an office within a 5Km radius for the last few years.

Obviously, NOT using a car is a no-brainer so I use the scooter for home-work-home commutes. Also, we chose a good school within a 2Km radius so the child isn't stressed and in case of any urgency we can reach the school quickly.

So, the proximity of work place and school has made daily/weekday commutes easily manageable.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 18:32   #22
BHPian

Moved very close to place of my work (you can only do this if you're unmarried ). I usually take a bus to work but that option is not available for everyone since good public transportation might not be available everywhere.

I am looking forward to working remotely or setting up my own thing for the future, which is, I guess, a very common plan for most people.
typlo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 18:53   #23
BHPian

A couple of things my friends do.
1. Rat running
2. Outside roads such as village roads that circumvent the city if going to the other side.
3. Go to nearest railway head, park your vehicle at the station and take a train. For example, in Bangalore, one can reach Banaswadi from carmelaram in 20 minutes which otherwise during rush hour could take 1.5 hours by car.

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 6th December 2018 at 19:13.
Thermodynamics is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 19:27   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
3. Go to nearest railway head, park your vehicle at the station and take a train. For example, in Bangalore, one can reach Banaswadi from carmelaram in 20 minutes which otherwise during rush hour could take 1.5 hours by car.
I hear railway timings are unpredictable so unless you are not under any time pressure (say visiting relatives vs meeting a client) this may not be practical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
If I'm stuck at any choke-point for more than 10 minutes, I never take that road again.
Did you accidentally pick your user id? I can safely say I learn something new from many of your posts!

Though I prefer the longer route with less traffic than interior roads unless I know the area very well. Google sometimes can direct you into roads only two wheelers can use.

Last edited by androdev : 6th December 2018 at 19:41.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Though I prefer the longer route with less traffic than interior roads unless I know the area very well. Google sometimes can direct you into roads only two wheelers can use.
Yes, you can't just turn into a residential road and hope that Google Maps will somehow take you to the destination. Successful 'rat run' involves lots of reconnaissance work.

1) Study the map around a major choke-point.
2) Drive to the choke-point in a small car on Saturday/Sunday
3) Explore the area with Google Maps.

Avoid narrow roads or roads with lots of parked cars. After a couple of U-turns, you will eventually find a decent route.
SmartCat is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 22:56   #26
BHPian

Since I've become an entrepreneur, opened the first office on behest of my partners at Nariman Point ( I stay at Lokhandwala Andheri West ). Our factory is near Khopoli. Initially did the driving bit to both extensively for few months. It was the same as my job days when office was in Powai.

Steps taken:
1. Office taken less than 500 metres from home. Now I walk up and down everyday. It's in the same building as my gym so fitness levels are at an all time peak.
2. Leave early morning for factory and leave backwards late in order to avoid the traffic. Now factory commutes are largely by cabs. The only time I drive down is when I feel like, and that too I try to plan on public holidays or weekends!
avdhesh15 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 01:12   #27
BHPian

I had to spend 4 hours traveling daily for 2 years in NCR from Ghaziabad to Gurgaon, those were my pre-employment days. A minimum of 4 hours were guaranteed, this after taking the fast route via Delhi Metro. I took our car once, on a weekday, spent 5 hours on road.

I was very lucky to land up in a full-time WFH job 3.5 years ago, the only trade off was 9-5 EST working hours.

Last edited by sinharishi : 7th December 2018 at 01:13.
sinharishi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 08:40   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: What significant measures did you take to minimise your daily commute?

Amazing thread! I guess some of us have been lucky to make changes, but most don't have the opportunity to.

What I did = Build a PROPER office at my residential property itself! Even our family's commercial properties are just 1 km away. Saves me two hours a day which I use for fitness (built a gym at home too) and family time. It's no coincidence that I am fitter in my 40s than in my 30s.

Even within the Team-BHP office, Aditya & ChiragM live 5 minutes away. Blackwasp has a long commute, but he works from home on alternate days (comes to office just thrice a week).

I started my first business @ Stadium House, Churchgate. Was a 30 minute commute each way in 2004. The drive was actually enjoyable! Traffic levels increased slowly and it became a pain. So much so that I began leaving for work at 0750 just to beat the traffic. But there was no respite in the evening. Took 60 - 90 minutes in rush hour traffic. Got fed up and left that office in 2011.

Since, my driving is only at nights, weekends & highways (either my 530d or Team-BHP test-drive cars) . I feel like I live a 26-hour day now.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:17   #29
BHPian

Having heard of the torrid time in commuting on Mumbai roads and with Mumbai deciding to upgrade itself, decided that the only priority was a house nearest to my office. Upon landing here when asked which area i prefer, just pointed out of the window " 10 meters from there".

Was not that lucky as we wanted some openness, gym and swimming pool too. But after 5 days of extensive search found a brand new flat in a very decent society Vasant Oasis , Marol.

It takes me 12-13 minutes to my office in morning and 15-17 mins on way back. Loving it.

Weekends in Clubs in Colaba compensates for the lack of sea feeling and sea breeze
nkghai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

My office is 12 KM far from my residence. I used to use any of the vehicles(two or four wheeler) to reach office depending on my mood. I was never regular to reach office on time. I wanted to do something for that and I took a significant measure to fix that.

My 4-year old daughter's school is 4Km far from my residence. It's on the way to my office and she goes to school by a school bus( a Tempo Traveller). Her school timing is 0815 to 1130. I dropped the pickup service from school and started to take her with me in my car. This way I am able to reach early to my office and spend a precious half hour with my daughter. Now, I reach one-hour early to the office, even before housekeeping staff. Earlier I used to be a boss who was "last to come and first to go", now I am a changed boss who is "first to come and first to go".
SJM1214 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks