Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2018, 16:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tata Tigor EV now available with Zoomcar

Tata Motors has partnered with self-drive rental company Zoomcar to offer the all-electric version of the Tigor in Pune. The first batch of Tigor EVs was flagged off from Concorde Motors, Baner. Over the next year, 500 electric vehicles are expected to be deployed on the Zoomcar platform in 20 cities.

Tata Tigor EV now available with Zoomcar-tigorev-zoomcar.jpg

The Tigor EV is based on the regular Tigor compact sedan. It uses an AC 3-phase electric motor, which produces 40 BHP @ 4,500 rpm. It has a 216 Ah, 72V battery. The car has a claimed top speed of 100 km/h and a range of 130 km on a single charge.

In July 2018, Tata Motors supplied 10 Tigor EVs to Cognizant's Hyderbad campus. In 2017, state-run Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) had also placed an order for the electric cars.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 17:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor EV now available with Zoomcar

While this is a good move and Kudos to both Tata and Zoomcar for this initiative, cannot help but wonder about the practicality of this. With a realistic range of 100km, choosing this for in city use itself may be impractical. Considering the fact that one would chose a Zoomcar for intra-city use only in specific situations and more often than not, such a situation will involve a good bit of driving. I would hesitate to pick one up. Hopefully we'll get some real world feedback soon.

Out of question for Inter City rides due to the poor range and lack of charging infra structure.
Rajeevraj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 18:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Good for PR and real-world feedback. Essentially, baby steps from Tata to get bigger in the EV space.

Due to a limited range of ~100 kms, lack of charging infrastructure and (assumed) ~8 hours required for a full charge, this won't make financial or operational sense just yet. I'd love to rent one for a quick dash around the city for a couple of hours though.
libranof1987 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 18:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The Tigor EV is based on the regular Tigor compact sedan. It uses an AC 3-phase electric motor, which produces 40 BHP @ 4,500 rpm. It has a 216 Ah, 72V battery. The car has a claimed top speed of 100 km/h and a range of 130 km on a single charge...[/b]
I thought electric motors produced MAX power right from 0 RPM!? Also, with 40bhp & such a heavy car, max speed isn't as relevant as torque.

It's a start, let's see.
Old 20th December 2018, 18:57   #5
BHPian

I haven't rented cars much and whenever I did, it was for long inter-city drives. So of course, Tigor EV isn't for that purpose. However, this can be a very good testing rig for those who want to experience EV and explore how it fits in their daily lifestyle. But who pays for charging this and where does that happen? As yet, there is no public charging infrastructure and no one is going to set up charger at home for a rented car.
ksameer1234 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2018, 19:55   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Do we also have to return it fully charged?

Good PR exercise for both - TML and Zoomcar. I am guessing TML must have offered a good deal on the Tigor to Zoom.

Incidentally, I saw couple of these EVs recently in Delhi. I guess they were from the fleet that Govt. had bought a few months back.
Dry Ice is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 08:23   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great PR exercise indeed. In addition to PR, it helps Tata with real-world testing at no risk. Remember, long-term users / owners are the ones who come back with a bag full of complaints, not short-term users. As an added bonus, it'll also be abusive testing. Indians aren't known to baby what doesn't belong to them .

If I was in Pune, I'd rent one for the weekend just to experience what the 'tomorrow' of cars is like. I have yet to drive a bigger electric car (E2O Plus has been my only experience).

I don't see it on ZoomCar's website. Does anyone else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
With a realistic range of 100km, choosing this for in city use itself may be impractical.
I think it's very apt for those who'll use it within Pune. Most times that I've hired a Zoom Car, it's been when I'm visiting a new city. I doubt anyone will do over 100 km in a day in Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Do we also have to return it fully charged?

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2018 at 08:24.
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 08:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Perhaps they will start listing once all the cars have been fully charged?
honeybee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2018, 12:45   #9
BHPian

At around a 100 km, these things aren't practical even for intra-city trips. Make these go for a solid 200 km with AC on, then we are talking. I don't mind if they have to limit the top-speed to 60 kmph for them to achieve that.

This is the beauty of shared mobility. You can remove things that people want and keep the ones they actually need because people don't get attached to it.
Old 9th February 2019, 17:34   #10
BHPian

I see this one on the Zoomcar App under the ZAP Subscribe but its never available as a short term rental.

Anybody lucky enough to get their hands on one of these?
Old 6th March 2019, 22:53   #11

My friends and I booked a Tigor EV from Zoomcar today. We had a field research assignment that required us to go the railway station (Pune Junction). The car we got was from Concorde, Baner and our pick up/drop off point was in Viman Nagar (which is the closest to our college). So how did we end up getting the Tigor EV? Well, we were a group of 5 people so we needed an Uber XL to go to the station, we checked the price and it was ₹400 one way and we assumed that it'll be office rush hour by the time we leave for our college so we checked the Zoomcar app and the cheapest option we found was the Tigor EV. It was ₹330 for 38 kms and ₹8 excess per kilometer charge. So we immediately booked the car and when we arrive at the pickup point, we saw two more EVs parked there, one was a e2O and the other was a Tigor EV, again from Concorde, Baner. When the Zoomcar guy pulled the car a bit ahead from the parking lot in order for us to make a delivery video of the car covering all the scratches/dents, we were taken aback by it's sound, the lack of it, rather. It was eerily quite inside the car as well. The only real sound was coming from the indicators and the AC. Talking about the performance, the car has a hint of lag between you flooring the accelerator and the car responding to it. This is reduced a bit if driven in Sports mode but still is noticeable. We got the car with a 100% charge and the range shown on the MID when we picked up the car was 98 kms, with a good usage of Sports mode coupled with stereo and AC on all the time, we managed to do 50 kms with 20% charge remaining. If I were to summarize it in pros and cons it would be as follows:-

Pros:
Extremely silent cabin
Decent performance in Sports mode, par for city purposes

Cons:
Poor range
The lack of sound is also a big problem as people don't know that there's a car coming and they tend to come in your way. Also, it's difficult to tell if the car's turned on or off.
MoTo_meister is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 01:43   #12
BHPian

I missed seeing this thread earlier, but I agree with other members that this is mainly a good PR exercise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I was in Pune, I'd rent one for the weekend just to experience what the 'tomorrow' of cars is like. I have yet to drive a bigger electric car (E2O Plus has been my only experience).
I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, but with all due respect GTO, I wouldn't call the Tigor EV the 'tomorrow' of cars. Here are the reasons why:
  • Electric cars are generally as powerful, if not more powerful than their ICE-engined counterparts. Examples: Hyundai Kona EV, Volkswagen e-Golf etc. Sadly, that is not the case with the Tigor EV. 40 BHP is really under powered.
  • With a realistic range of +/- 100 kilometers, this is certainly not practical, nor anywhere close to other emerging/leading EV manufacturers.
  • A certain Tata-owned company called Jaguar makes a car called the I-PACE. That is what is considered the 'today' of cars already. The 'tomorrow' of cars looks even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
My friends and I booked a Tigor EV from Zoomcar today.
Thank you for sharing your experience on the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTo_meister View Post
We got the car with a 100% charge and the range shown on the MID when we picked up the car was 98 kms, with a good usage of Sports mode coupled with stereo and AC on all the time, we managed to do 50 kms with 20% charge remaining.
This is alarming feedback. A car with an officially quoted range of 120 kilometers loses 80% of charge in 50 kilometers
Tata needs to really work on improving their EV tech. This kind of range will not work for anyone, and I can't believe I am about to say this, but it is just no wonder those Government officials were complaining - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ta-motors.html

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks