Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2018, 10:53   #1
Senior - BHPian

On Cam: Traffic violator drags cop on bonnet for 100 meters in Gurugram

Quote:
In a shocking incident, a traffic cop was dragged for around 100 metres by a man who was stopped by the cops for driving on the wrong side near Signature Tower Chowk in Gurugram on December 19. The man was later arrested and the car was also seized.
Guys, please watch the video, that guy really needs some civic sense & some sense as why he needs to abide the law.

Source : https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/67172992.cms

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 27th December 2018 at 12:03. Reason: Added link to the clip.
aargee is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 26th December 2018, 22:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Cam: Traffic violator drags cop on bonnet for 100 meters in Gurugram

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Guys, please watch the video, that guy really needs some civic sense & a some sense as why he needs to abide the law.
Not an unusual occurrence in the Delhi-NCR region. This is a typical case of "jaanta nahin mera chacha kaun hai?" (don't you know who my uncle is?). The chap's uncle is apparently a senior officer in the Delhi Police. The case would be quietly dismissed if and when his uncle intervenes through senior level connections in the Haryana Police. Good luck to drilling any civic sense into such folks' heads though.
SS-Traveller is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 08:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
This is a typical case of "jaanta nahin mera chacha kaun hai?" (don't you know who my uncle is?). The chap's uncle is apparently a senior officer in the Delhi Police. The case would be quietly dismissed if and when his uncle intervenes through senior level connections in the Haryana Police
Yes sir; he spoke over the phone immediately which is apparent in the video itself. Whatever be the case, its a very bad to have driven like that & manhandling police. He will be setting a very bad example for his children as well when they see this. And the children of the police who was dragged, what kind of mentality will they develop?
Old 27th December 2018, 09:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
He will be setting a very bad example for his children as well when they see this.
Nope, all they'll say is "jaanta nahin mere dada kaun hain?", next their kids will say "jaanta nahin mere pardada kaun they"? and so on and so forth. NCR and Mumbai will never change in this aspect.. I say it with personal visual experiences.
dark.knight is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

WOW! This is a new low!

Or is it?! You hear of so many incidents of some low-level politico using his fists at toll booths all over the country (in the South as well, traffic violations and the misuse of power is really not a region-specific thing).

One thing I always fail to understand is why cops have to engage in lengthy conversation with a traffic violator at all? Stop them, if they stop, record the vehicle number and register an offence. If they don't stop, instead of risking your life just take down the number and radio ahead to have them stopped at a roadblock and register a more serious offence.

Here in Bangalore I see cops arguing with people without helmets, who have been stopped going the wrong way and just wasting their time. What do they expect, that the offender will feel sorry and stop breaking the law?! Unless the cop is trying to extract a bribe (and that is another thing altogether), why bother engaging in lengthy conversation. Register the offense and let the law take it's course.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 13:49   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
WOW! This is a new low!

Or is it?! You hear of so many incidents of some low-level politico using his fists at toll booths all over the country (in the South as well, traffic violations and the misuse of power is really not a region-specific thing).

One thing I always fail to understand is why cops have to engage in lengthy conversation with a traffic violator at all? Stop them, if they stop, record the vehicle number and register an offence. If they don't stop, instead of risking your life just take down the number and radio ahead to have them stopped at a roadblock and register a more serious offence.

Here in Bangalore I see cops arguing with people without helmets, who have been stopped going the wrong way and just wasting their time. What do they expect, that the offender will feel sorry and stop breaking the law?! Unless the cop is trying to extract a bribe (and that is another thing altogether), why bother engaging in lengthy conversation. Register the offense and let the law take it's course.
Well, they do at certain points in the city. But the offender may never pay up this challan.

Another complication is our vehicle databases are not synchronized across states I believe. There is no way for DTP (or a rather lengthy way, which they don't usually pursue) to issue challan to an outstation vehicle without stopping it.

Also I believe some amount of "visible" deterrent is required in our society - hence the stopping and challaning etc.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2018, 14:47   #7
BHPian

Such arrogance . This thug needs to be beaten up black and blue . Look at his arrogance.

Our system also is to be blamed and I really do not want to open another conversation here however it stems from the fact that law cannot be enforced in our country at any cost. Till such time honest officers will have to bear this!

Last edited by sumathindra : 27th December 2018 at 14:48. Reason: edits
Old 28th December 2018, 11:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

So sad that the policemen have to deal with such things on a day to day basis. As it is, India is a severely under-policed country.

Solution is to drastically increase police-personnel on ground. If that doesn't happen, cops too will lose confidence of risking such clampdown fearing influential brats.

Even for Law & Order Police, We need highly organised & well equipped metropolitan police for the cities. The regular cops have no special training & are often under-qualified.

Most Viewed