Team-BHP - Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/205473-goa-police-will-now-reward-citizens-reporting-traffic-offences.html)

Quote:

Goa Police have launched a novel cash reward scheme to get citizens involved in filming, clicking and reporting traffic violations. “The ‘Traffic Sentinel Scheme’ launched today will reward citizens by as much as Rs 1,000 for every 100 reward points accumulated by them for spotting offences,” said said Director General of Police Muktesh Chander while unveiling the scheme. Similar scheme implement at Delhi had received very positive response from citizens informed DGP.

Under the scheme any person registered as traffic sentinel can report traffic violation by capturing the photo or video of the defaulting vehicle and send it through Whatsapp on Mobile No. 7875756110 or send an e-mail on sptrafficgoa@gmail.com or post on Facebook Page of Goa Traffic Police.For every offence reported the alert citizen can accumulate points and claim cash rewards based on these points. The name of the citizen reporting the offence will not be disclosed.
Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-6b4859faca684c24810ba561df7fded9.jpg

More info - https://www.goapolice.gov.in/web/gue...affic-sentinel

https://digitalgoa.com/now-earn-mone...ic-violations/

YAY!! Finally what I've told here in 2010/11 is becoming true

Excellent initiative! This is what we need in many other cities too.

If this is implemented in Pune, I am sure a lot of pensioners would make millions with a smartphone and whole day at hand.

Wow, hope this comes to pass in Bangalore too. I see about 5 wrong-way violations on my way to work everyday. So at least 50 points x 5 days a week x 4 weeks = 10k extra a month! Nice!

If this gets launched in Madras, I can become a millionaire without even going out of my area Can cross-post this in the 'Early Retirement' thread lol:

I'll even add driving without headlight offense here.

A very good initiative because then every person with a smartphone is basically a cop in a way. however I am skeptical about the action being taken and the points being assigned to the reporters. If people do not get the points for the offenders they report, this initiative would die a natural death

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_skyliner (Post 4524851)
If this is implemented in Pune, I am sure a lot of pensioners would make millions with a smartphone and whole day at hand.

I reported some offenders in Pune and no action was taken. This was through twitter where I copied the required twitter handles.

They also launched an app called Satark Punekar for the same thing but that app currently seems to have more bugs than functionality (personal experience and later read the reviews as well)

However, Pune division does not pay anything as such for reporting violations :)

This is a good initiative that it involves commoners to streamline one of the most plaguing issues we witness everyday in all cities - errant motorists! There is no immediate solution to this and we all know it will be years till we can call our roads safe. The levels at which motorists have become casual these days is supremely extreme.

However, I only wish it doesn't make that slow pedestrian crossing the road with earphones plugged in walking in slo-mo even more slower as he/she looks around, finds someone stopped ahead of the stop-line and starts taking a photo while the light turns green!!

Bangalore Traffic Police has Magiceye portal, minus the reward points but from my own experiences of reporting violations in the past, I lost hopes for various reasons - Once they asked me to visit Law and Order Police for a Hit and Run violation that I caught on Dashcam, uploaded a screenshot and in the comments inserted the video URL :Shockked:!

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-tweetbtp.jpg

This is the reason why I sound negative about these schemes that only want to shine on various platforms and become a news.

I have seen good (and quick) examples from Hyderabad Traffic Police where they immediately act and raise a violation soon after you upload the image of a particular violation - I liked that Instant Karma.

The other good thing they are doing is penalizing those who drive over the speed limits on ORR with cameras that you don't know where they are and this has immensely streamlined and disciplined the car drivers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4396721)
So this post is to share the heartwarming experience of driving on Hyderabad’s Outer Ring Road where almost all the cars indeed drove strictly with an upper limit of 100 KMPH all the times.

......Goes to show how effective implementation can really bring down the accident rates and make people follow rules; The need of the hour for the entire country.

While beating the bandwagon on all kinds of media to propagate good intentions is one thing (everyone wants to win the award for best agency on social media but no one wants to act), acting on such complaints is another. I sincerely hope Goa Police sees success with this novel initiative and at the same time Public doesn't become greedy and trick the commoner following the law only to make quick bucks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by am1m (Post 4524862)
Wow, hope this comes to pass in Bangalore too. I see about 5 wrong-way violations on my way to work everyday. So at least 50 points x 5 days a week x 4 weeks = 10k extra a month! Nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by narayans80 (Post 4524888)
If this gets launched in Madras, I can become a millionaire without even going out of my area Can cross-post this in the 'Early Retirement' thread lol:

I'll even add driving without headlight offense here.

And I so wish that Goa Police can still pay be for something that has happened in Bangalore :

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-img_20181002_162710.jpg

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-kodigehalli-011.jpg

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-kodigehalli-02.jpg

Goa Police will now reward citizens for reporting traffic offences-kodigehalli-03.jpg

Good initiative by Goa Police but this only shows how much pathetic we citizens are in India. We have stooped down to this level that we need all these schemes to follow some simple traffic rules which are for our own good end of the day. I will do this job of sending pics to Police even if they do not pay me or reward me. I just want them to take action against all offenders including me if I am happen to break any rule.

I have enrolled as Sentinel since the scheme started 7-8 months back when we had to WhatsApp/email photos to them. Initially there was huge cry since everyone had to go to Panjim for paying 100rs penalty. Now they have counter at Madgao as well. First hand experience tells me that people have become very aware after receiving notices at home when they least expected it. Initially some sentinels got abused by people when they were honoured by CM Parrikar for earning highest points. Even now the person who won the car in lottery draw didn't claim it due to fear of people abusing him. There have also been some complaints of people sending same photo again after some days to earn double points. All in all,a brilliant scheme that needs to be enforced and encouraged.

I hope they don't trumpet to the world "based on complaint and evidence submitted by Mr.XYZ, we have issued a challan against...". Chennai's traffic police does that and I really think no one has bothered to track how many complainants have been traced and attacked by wilful traffic violators. Just take a look at what happens to RTI applicants.

Foolish, inept and insidious move.

Remember your schooldays when the teacher would designate a monitor to mind the class / write the names of wrongdoers on the blackboard? Well, everyone is a monitor now.

With citizens turning into traffic vigilantes, the well paid (out of public funds) and fed cops can take rest. Or read about innumerable Pied Piperish stories based on Cobra Effect and come up with some more innovative ideas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paragsachania (Post 4524917)
This is the reason why I sound negative about these schemes that only want to shine on various platforms and become a news.

I have a dashcam on both my cars; every time I am traveling, I capture enough instances of the law being broken, if the cops decide to fine each offender, they'd probably break all records of revenue collection!

The only reason I don't: until this is anonymous, I run the risk of being identified for highlighting the instance and worse, face consequences for it. The reaction most people have when told about a rule they break is scary enough; there is no remorse, in fact there's shameless arrogance and "do what you want" attitude.

To have an absolute transparency & have near zero corruption & long term sustainability, what ideally needs to be done is...
1. The app should upload the traffic offence to cloud
2. A separate centralized call center should screen & approve the evidence & process the evidence while approving the payment
3. And based on the registration plate send notification to the owner to pay the fine at a specific time slot at a court that is farthest from the RTO where the vehicle has been registered. The owner himself has to show up to provide thumb impression along with adhaar card original to pay the fine
4. If the owner does not turn up on the specified date, the traffic police dept has to be informed to seize the vehicle
5. The best part? Along with the fine, the payment for sentinel, the call center staff, the staff at court based on case to case basis had to be collected from the offender. Thus govt need not spend all the tax payers money on traffic offenders

Goa being a popular tourist destination, people from all over the country/world come over here and take self driven cars/bikes.
Rather than the local Goans, its the tourists who drive/ ride more recklessly on the Goa roads.

Am sure, the visitors/tourists will go back after violating the rules and the rental company guys will have to pay the fine. With this rule, they need to find out some way, so the offender can be fine'd even after he/she leave's Goa.

A couple of example where tourists simply misuse the Goa roads-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqwSk8TxAsU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tts_Xu2_vrw

Last time i saw, Goa traffic police was quite strict with their law enforcement and were fining the tourists, if they break the law.

Thinking of an investment proposal, install a dash cam, cctv at a strategic location and start counter.

Superb initiative :thumbs up. A win win for everyone, with the sole exception being the traffic offender. Just don't make it too obvious if you are capturing rule breakers - related link.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivek95 (Post 4524942)
how much pathetic we citizens are in India. We have stooped down to this level that we need all these schemes to follow some simple traffic rules which are for our own good end of the day.

There's nothing "Indian" about it. A casual search on YouTube will show you rules being broken in any & all other countries too, including the developed ones.

Quote:

I will do this job of sending pics to Police even if they do not pay me or reward me. I just want them to take action against all offenders including me if I am happen to break any rule.
:thumbs up.