Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2019, 11:03   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: Massive fire in the parking lot at Aero India 2019 (Bangalore)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
This did not happen during the airshow. It’s a wrong message spreading, here’s the news article published about it some days ago.
Time to shred that article and throw away.

In another thread a bhpian had posted the video of it captured in his dash cam on the same day. May be nothing to do with airshow but it happened at the same time.

Last edited by balenoed_ : 24th February 2019 at 11:05.
Old 24th February 2019, 11:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely shocked to see the extent of the damage. I had been to Aero show in 2011 and 13. From the pictures it looks like same area where I had parked in 2013!

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

The airstrip would 100% have had 2 to 4 fire tenders standing by on alert as landings and take-off's were in progress. I wonder if they were deployed ASAP as they would have been within the campus only 1 or 2 kms away as the crow flies.

According to reports it took 20 minutes for the first 3 fire tenders to arrive. This parking area that caught fire is on the other side of the busy Ballari road that passes through. There is a tunnel that passes under the road connecting two parts of the campus, but this parking area may not be well connected to it.

In any case this just demonstrates how ill-prepared we are when it comes to safety.
SilentEngine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 11:50   #48
Team-BHP Support

Spoke to a friend of mine who was there yesterday

1: There was already 1 fire tender on stand-by but it could not cope

2: Access to the cars within the car park was hampered with drivers and all evacuating other cars. The fire was deep inside and my friends driver had to run for nearly half a km to retrieve the car

3: The additional fire engines were blocked as the access to the car park was choked by people trying to get in then suddenly trying to do a U Turn

Additionally, the official exit was closed as you were literally driving into the fire
ajmat is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 16:56   #49
BHPian

Another massive fire accident near Ramachandra hospital in Chennai. More than 100 cars are estimated to have burnt.
Link: https://polimernews.com/view/52826-&...ரை

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/mass...t-down-1998547

Last edited by Ragasruoban : 24th February 2019 at 17:16. Reason: Posting another link. :)
Old 24th February 2019, 19:40   #50
BHPian

Re: Massive fire in the parking lot at Aero India 2019 (Bangalore)

Likely caused by hot catalytic converter (these days all cars have them).

In the US, it's a standard warning to all car owners as part of standard car ownership, that they should never park their car over dry grass, esp after a hard drive.

The catalytic converter is a part that gets extremely extremely hot. If tall dry grass or leaves comes in contact with it, it will catch fire.

In India product awareness amongst the masses is very low, I wouldn't be surprised if most car owners don't know this fact.
vharihar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th February 2019, 20:19   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine
According to reports it took 20 minutes for the first 3 fire tenders to arrive.
And most likely they would be from the main venue (and from Karnataka Emergency & Rescue Services). I don't think the IAF's own fire tenders would come out, as they generally are to protect the IAF air base at Yelahanka. Only in very rare cases I have seen an Airport's fire tenders (with much more water throwing capacity, and foam throwing etc.) come in to an area under fire outside the airport premises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat
3: The additional fire engines were blocked as the access to the car park was choked by people trying to get in then suddenly trying to do a U Turn
This is also sad, but true. We people generally are not taught/drilled to evacuate in a methodical way. I mean see the "fire drills" in our own high rise buildings/IT parks. Many folks don't bother to come out, or many plan their tea break of the day based on the drill timings. But when a calamity strikes then it is total chaos. Self-survival becomes the key and people would use any way to save themselves (and their properties). From what I have noticed; in Bengaluru for fire engines to reach at good speed they have to coordinate extremely well with the Traffic Police. Only then they can get a clear path.
Old 24th February 2019, 22:28   #52
BHPian

The fire at a parking lot in Chennai has destroyed around 180 cars. These cars belonged to a cab company 'UToo'. The reason for the fire is believed to be dry grass coming in contact with the hot parts (silencer etc.) of car parked there.

This dry grass thing was certainly new to me, a lesson learnt.
NH08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 02:08   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
Likely caused by hot catalytic converter (these days all cars have them).

In the US, it's a standard warning to all car owners as part of standard car ownership, that they should never park their car over dry grass, esp after a hard drive.

The catalytic converter is a part that gets extremely extremely hot. If tall dry grass or leaves comes in contact with it, it will catch fire.

In India product awareness amongst the masses is very low, I wouldn't be surprised if most car owners don't know this fact.
Hello,

I would like to point to the owners manual. Here is this warning clearly mentioned in my Ford Aspire manual page no.79 (Refer to the attached image)

Manufacturers are doing their job correctly in India also. User is clearly notified about the parking risk over dry grass.

However you are right about our fellow countrymen. We rarely read manuals unless we are passionate about that particular thing.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Massive fire in the parking lot at Aero India 2019 (Bangalore)-screenshot_20190225020120.png  

NaXal is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 11:02   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinpk View Post
And most likely they would be from the main venue (and from Karnataka Emergency & Rescue Services). I don't think the IAF's own fire tenders would come out, as they generally are to protect the IAF air base at Yelahanka.
I was at the show when the fire happened. I have gone for all the AeroIndia shows in Bangalore and past 3 times, I have parked in P4, where the fire happened. P4 is across the road from the base and is for exhibitors and the more expensive tickets. This time, I got a VIP pass which had parking in P2, within the base. I was lucky.

I noticed the thick black smoke east of the runways just before noon during the Sarang display and immediately people suspected a crash. I decided to leave and an air force personnel near the L1 food pavilion said it was a fire in P4. Within 10 minutes of noticing the smoke, I saw fire tenders from the base speeding towards the smoke. Initially, they had to take the usual route - north on the highway, U-turn and then through gate 5 but later cops blocked the highway and allowed them to cross the road in front of the base and directly enter P4. I saw many fire tenders returning the same way, presumably to refill.

All the parking lots had dry grass and it could have happened anywhere. Many cars in P2 had drivers sitting in/near them and could easily had thrown a cigarette butt, as there was no one enforcing a no-smoking policy. P4 was not a paid parking lot the times I have parked there, so am not sure of the contractor angle. My understanding is that it is also Air Force land.

Gears,
Red-One.
RedOne is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 12:11   #55
BHPian

I got last moment entry for the Air Show, visited with my BIL on 23rd Feb. Luckily we both decided against taking out our car and preferred Uber.

Started early during morning and reached Air Base before 8.15 AM. As our entry was through Gate 5, walked all the way to bus pickup point on that dry grass route.

Dark smoke started erupting around 12.30, soon after team "Sarang" show. Initially many thought smoke is due to some mock drill or another crash! But it just kept increasing to such an extent that hot sunny area became cloudy and gloomy. We could sense some external particles too during breathing.

Massive fire in the parking lot at Aero India 2019 (Bangalore)-img_6263_a.jpg

When media persons started running towards that direction we realized something bad happened outside.

Thankfully, no stampede like situation near airshow area. Due to weekend crowd was more. Security arrangements were good. They were instructing which route to take for exit as one of the exit was allotted to Fire Engines for water refilling.

Massive fire in the parking lot at Aero India 2019 (Bangalore)-img_20190223_144812.jpg

Facilities inside the air base utilized for water refilling.

If they had helicopter service ready for these kind of emergencies would have been great help.

Fire fighters really did a commendable job against many odds, under hot sun. Hats off to them. Even couple of fire engines stationed near air strip recommissioned to douse the fire.

For return we took Volvo service around 3 PM. By then fire was under control. Compared to earlier years traffic was less.

May be due to dark smoke/hot sun/dryness or combination of all eyes were red, itching till yesterday.
Nempuguru is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 14:40   #56
BHPian

While Car ASS are calling customers to get the repairs done, it will be interesting to see if insurance companies fulfil these requests.
Car Service will make huge profits from the repairs paid by insurance companies.
aabhimanyu04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 15:00   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
...it will be interesting to see if insurance companies fulfil these requests.
That's a great point. Was wondering about this yesterday. Someone told me that unless a car carried 'comprehensive' insurance, there would be no insurance payout possible. Is that true? What insurance do new cars usually come with? Do they cover things like this?
Old 25th February 2019, 15:19   #58
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That's a great point. Was wondering about this yesterday. Someone told me that unless a car carried 'comprehensive' insurance, there would be no insurance payout possible. Is that true? What insurance do new cars usually come with? Do they cover things like this?
There's third-party insurance: this will cover damage caused by the policy holder to a third-party (pedestrian, vehicle, property).

Then, there's comprehensive: third-party + damage to own vehicle (the one that is insured).

Obviously, if you have only third-party insurance (common for people using really, really old cars), insurance won't cover if your car burned down, or had even a scratch on the door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabhimanyu04 View Post
Car Service will make huge profits from the repairs paid by insurance companies.
Depends on how many cars are in a repairable condition; most look completely charred.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2019, 19:49   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvindmanju View Post
This did not happen during the airshow. It’s a wrong message spreading, here’s the news article published about it some days ago.
Attachment 1851437
Very true. This did not happen during the Airshow, but on 19.02.2019, 1 day prior. The air show rehearsals were going on and not the actual show itself. So Brand Bengaluru should not be affected.
Likewise the 300+ cars which were burnt had nothing to do with the air show. It was outside the venue where parking had been arranged by outside contractors.
I don't know why people tend to attach any disasters with notable happenings nearby.
Old 25th February 2019, 20:43   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Likewise the 300+ cars which were burnt had nothing to do with the air show. It was outside the venue where parking had been arranged by outside contractors.
I don't know why people tend to attach any disasters with notable happenings nearby.
Sorry, but I differ to agree to this. I had been to the 2017 AERO Show and after struggling for nearly 3 hours was able to finally find parking - again I had parked exactly at the same place where this time the fire outbreak happened.
The amount (Rs.1800/-) each customer pays is quite significant and AERO show authorities indeed need to take the responsibility in ensuring the contractors provide all the basic amenities and service to the customers.

I was under the impression that they would improvise after seeing the struggle we went through in 2017, but looks like it just got worse this year. The outbreak was something which was just waiting to happen.
unni246 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed