Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 09:37   #1
BHPian

Hyderabad ORR: No toll if 20 vehicles are waiting in any lane

No toll at Hyderabad ORR if 20 vehicles are waiting in any lane from April 1.

Challenge remains to calculate the number of cars. Also, what will happen to the FASTag owners? Because even though we have dedicated FASTag lanes but people without FASTag get into the FASTag lane as well.

Though it is a very good move to avoid traffic congestion at tolls, but looks very difficult as the collection system of FASTag as well as manual process to be monitored very very closely and to control passengers who will claim about his numbers in the lane to avoid payment.

Quote:
One need not pay user fee at the toll gate on Outer Ring Road from April 1 if there are over 20 vehicles on any lane. The idea is to avoid prolonged traffic jams. Under the new rules, the agency managing the toll gates should clear the entire stretch without charging any commuter.

The Hyderabad Metropolitan Development Authority appointed a new toll collection agency, Eagle Infra India Limited, with effect from March 1, which had quoted the highest collection amount of Rs 24.29 crore per month.
Source

Last edited by GTO : 4th March 2019 at 09:44. Reason: Adding link to web article
cp171185 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:21   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyderabad ORR: No toll if 20 vehicles are waiting in any lane

Normally people search for toll counter which has less number of vehicles waiting. Now, in an attempt to save 30-40 Rupees people will rush to the counter where there are more vehicles..
Latheesh is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:39   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a much welcome move. Having suffered earlier today, I was wondering how and who will streamline these toll gates.

I took the ORR today to drop a relative at the airport. At the Gachibowli entry, I had to wait for 5 mins because the computer at the booth was not responding. Finally the guy ran to another counter and got a bunch of manual slips to handover.

At 6 AM in the morning, I had to wait for almost 15 mins at the Shamshabad exit to pay the toll. Cars and cabs were jumping the queue and trying to sneak in near the booth, creating further bottle necks. The booth staff who were standing outside were least bothered to stop this practice. I took a round trip ticket.

While returning, at the Shamshabad entry point, I showed my round trip slip and asked him to open the gate. He took my slip away, generated another slip and gave it to me. Without questioning the new process, I took the slip and proceeded to Gachibowli. At the booth, I showed the slip and the guy demanded toll again. When I mentioned about the round trip payment already done, he said I would need to produce the earlier payment slip.

With the current state of affairs, I feel sad for the regular users of the ORR. IMO, this new rule won't change things much. The number of vehicles have increased a lot. The number of booths at key exits are insufficient, such as Shamshabad. And we can't expect lane discipline. Hope I am proven wrong.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 10:55   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

They tried this at the now defunct Gurgaon toll-booth in NCR. I think it was based on length rather than number of cars. The painted a line which was about 500 meters from the booths, and the traffic never ever reached till there, even though the booths were jammed to bursting point with 3 lines trying to get into one lane. They will be pretty smart about how they implement this to minimize losses, if any.
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 12:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The number of booths at key exits are insufficient, such as Shamshabad. And we can't expect lane discipline.
It is even more complicated because it is quite a turn from the ORR to reach Airport Exit toll and driver can not see which is the exact lane as it can not be seen from a distant like how we get a view at the time of exit from Gachibowli.

It seems they are increasing lanes in Shamshabad Exit.
cp171185 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 09:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp171185 View Post
It is even more complicated because it is quite a turn from the ORR to reach Airport Exit toll and driver can not see which is the exact lane as it can not be seen from a distant like how we get a view at the time of exit from Gachibowli.

It seems they are increasing lanes in Shamshabad Exit.
I went to the airport again today. At 8:00 AM, there were about 8-10 vehicles in each of the 5 lanes of the Shamshabad exit. Unlike last Friday, today they were working pretty efficiently and it took me about 5 mins to clear the toll.

There isn't any space to add more lanes in that road though that is certainly the need of the hour in this particular exit.
Old 4th March 2019, 09:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

There's a similar discussion, although not specific to ORR, going on. I know several people, self included, who've tried to get this implemented but the toll staff always suggests we take a hike instead. So, I'd take this news with a good amount skepticism.

When NHAI-run tolls don't honor this, chances are tolls under BoT-operated highways have even a lesser chance considering the private vendor gets directly impacted.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4320054 (If you wait over 3 minutes in a toll station, you needn't pay toll?)
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 18:46   #8
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad ORR: No toll if 20 vehicles are waiting in any lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
While returning, at the Shamshabad entry point, I showed my round trip slip and asked him to open the gate. He took my slip away, generated another slip and gave it to me. Without questioning the new process, I took the slip and proceeded to Gachibowli. At the booth, I showed the slip and the guy demanded toll again. When I mentioned about the round trip payment already done, he said I would need to produce the earlier payment slip.
Happened to us also on 1st of March. When I rolled the window and asked why should we pay when we already took return pass, he did not drag this and allowed us to leave. I think this must be mainly due to the new vendor being appointed for toll collection
indian21r is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks