Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2019, 14:07   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Weird things you've seen people do while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Come to Gujarat and you will find drivers opening the door and then spitting the “Pan Masala” residue on the road. They don’t do that through the window so that it doesn’t spoil their car but joyfully opens the door while driving and spit. It is very creepy to watch. And no, not only cab drivers, you can see this behaviour from individuals driving an Alto to Audi.

Sad, but true.
Spitting gutkha / pan masala on road while car is moving / stationary is quite common in Kolkata / Suburbs too. It is unhygienic to say the least, and if done on the move or near to another car, can stain that other car as well - yuck !

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Having an office meeting via a conference call while driving.
I too have been guilty of this crime - I sometimes take a few calls via the HU bluetooth handsfree. Normally for those status calls where you have little to say but must be present.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
I do the same thing in the morning/ after the car has been switched off for a long time, my father taught me this. But I guess there is something technical about it than such a myth.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers!
The reverse gear is non synchromesh and may grind / be difficult to slot into at one go. A little movement in the first gear makes it easier to slot into reverse.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 19:52   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: Weird things you've seen people do while driving

Just reminded me of something I saw on twitter recently. Guy complaining of BMTC driver driving rashly due to being preoccupied with a movie on his phone.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 09:58   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Weird things you've seen people do while driving

Mod Note: Guys, the discussion on engaging 1st before reverse can continue on another thread. Let this one only focus on 'weird things' please. Thank you!
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:09   #19
BHPian

I try not to peep into someone else's car, but sometimes it just happens .
I have seen people pick their nose (digging for gold I guess), put-on lipstick, pick their tooth, eye-liners, etc. Some of them do it while waiting for the signal to turn green.
Well it is up to them what they do in their car, but then they do it in public.

Great topic .
deadguy25 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 10:39   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed people shaving( trimming) in their cars. During my field job days, even I used to keep an electric trimmer in my car. However, I never trimmed my beard in a moving car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Come to Gujarat and you will find drivers opening the door and then spitting the “Pan Masala” residue on the road.
+1
Come to Gujarat and explore the Saurashtra region. You would notice drivers rubbing "Mawa" while driving.

Quote:
Mawa is prepared by mixing small pieces of areca nut, processed tobacco and slaked lime. All the ingredients are rubbed on a polythene paper for a stipulated time.
SJM1214 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

Last week I saw a moron in a Brezza using sunblinds (cheap signal ones with vacuum suction) on the driver side window. He had no clue on what was to his immediate left thanks to the blinds.
2000rpm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post

When I looked closely, there was a phone placed bang in front of the instrument cluster and was playing a video (possibly a movie). I was

I have seen such people watching live stream of cricket matches and brace yourselves when IPL season kicks off
sajands is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 14:31   #23
Senior - BHPian

In India, one of the most weirdest things that people do while on drivers seat is, "THEY DRIVE THE CAR IN THE MOST WEIRDEST POSSIBLE WAY"

Yes, I mean this. The biggest evidence for this statement is below threads, And another proof is, these threads have crossed more than 1000 pages
1. Bad Drivers How do you spot them.
2. Accidents in India

The question should rather be changed to, What are the weirdest things that people do IN ADDITION TO driving.
gkveda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 15:31   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore city bus, a red Volvo. Driver was perched on his seat, one of the legs folded onto the seat. In one hand he held a local daily newspaper which he was reading in between halts. So he was driving with one leg and one hand only.

Watching movies while driving is pretty common. I have seen many drivers with mobile holders jutting into their face and mobiles screening youtube or some movies.

Regarding conf. calls, on almost all my calls with US counterparts, they are driving to office or driving back home.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 15:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Last week I saw a moron in a Brezza using sunblinds (cheap signal ones with vacuum suction) on the driver side window. He had no clue on what was to his immediate left thanks to the blinds.
I have used these blinds myself on the driver's side window while driving and it isn't that one become totally unaware what's outside on the right. I suppose you meant right side instead of left.
But I always make sure that I don't stick the blind on the window glass area that blocks my view of the ORVM. Also I pick the smallest size blind available and apply it only in the direction of direct sun.
I certainly avoid using them in the evenings.
Old 4th March 2019, 15:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
I have used these blinds myself on the driver's side window while driving and it isn't that one become totally unaware what's outside on the right. I suppose you meant right side instead of left.
But I always make sure that I don't stick the blind on the window glass area that blocks my view of the ORVM. Also I pick the smallest size blind available and apply it only in the direction of direct sun.
Yes, I meant right side. The blind was stuck on the glass surface area. The size was large.
Old 4th March 2019, 21:35   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Just a small comment. I strongly advise you against this practice.

The human eye like most others is most sensitive to movement. What this essentially means is that the only things you see properly are the things which your eyes focus on. Rest (peripheral vision) relies on movement or anomalies to grab your attention. A blind covering the window, however small the area may be, will block your peripheral vision and make you susceptible to missing movement which might not be in your ORVM. Depending on what car and how far back you like your seating position, it might even block traffic coming from intersecting roads or pedestrians/animals in residential areas.

Just my 2 cents.
rangakishen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 21:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

I was in my company bus and noticed a car with a lady in it pull up aside at a stop signal. It was sunny that day and the sun was directly in front of the vehicles. I saw the lady take her duppata which was a bit transparent and drape it over her entire face eyes included like a veil. Did I mention it was the same lady that was also driving that car. I guess she never knew what a sun visor was.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2019, 21:57   #29
BHPian

Yesterday saw an Auto driver switch on RH turn indicator before making a turn in electronic city Bangalore. Have never ever seen that.
Wanted to ask him if he was not feeling well.

Last edited by anoop_lamba : 4th March 2019 at 21:59.
anoop_lamba is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 08:53   #30
BHPian

This reminds me of one thing that happened recently to my friend.

He took one of the local drivers for a trip to his hometown. That driver assured my friend and told him that he is in safe hands and asked to take rest. He suddenly woke up with a sound from the popular Telugu comedy show playing on the mobile . The car was doing ~100 KMPH on Hyderabad-Vijayawada expressway with the driver holding mobile in one hand and enjoying the video.
vijayshouree is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks