Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2019, 13:47   #1
BHPian

Weird things you've seen people do while driving

Today on my way to work I saw a car struggling to stay in it's lane. It was quite misty in the morning, so I thought it was due to this. But when I passed the car, I saw the driver was busy brushing her teeth with an electric toothbrush.

What are the weirdest things you've seen people do when they're driving / riding?
deepakc is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Weird things you've seen people do while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakc View Post
Today on my way to work I saw a car struggling to stay in it's lane. It was quite misty in the morning, so I thought it was due to this. But when I passed the car, I saw the driver was busy brushing her teeth with an electric toothbrush.

What are the weirdest things you've seen people do when they're driving / riding?
Hahaha I stay in the US. Distracted driving is a way of life, the norm here. What have I seen? Drivers watching movies on their phone, texting, Facetiming, eating fast food, applying makeup, turning and talking to their kids in the back seat, taking selfies, smooching etc.

Pisses me off so much. I get the jitters every time I take my motorcycle out. Wondering when the next cager will hit me.
naveenroy is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:19   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

I once saw a guy driving at about 20-30 kmph on the Barapullah road.
Not a sub or a fruit, but having a proper chapati -gravy meal with the containers spread out on the dash.
mayankk is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

I have seen people praying with folded hands near temples and eyes closed for a second while driving.
mukeshgoel is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 22:16   #5
BHPian

Come to Gujarat and you will find drivers opening the door and then spitting the “Pan Masala” residue on the road. They don’t do that through the window so that it doesn’t spoil their car but joyfully opens the door while driving and spit. It is very creepy to watch. And no, not only cab drivers, you can see this behaviour from individuals driving an Alto to Audi.

Sad, but true.
R-Six is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 22:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Having an office meeting via a conference call while driving.
It may sound normal, my brother in law was doing this for almost half hour while I was sitting in the passenger seat of his car when I was visiting US. I couldn't wrap my head around it although it was much easier to do it there than here due to the constant speeds on the expressways.
tharian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 22:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

Posted this some time back on the Safe Driving forum.

The most bizarre thing I've seen at the wheel do is facetime; this dude was on a video call with someone on one of Pune's busiest roads, in rush hour traffic. He promptly showed me the finger when I gestured "what are you doing?!".

A couple of non-PG13 observations too.
libranof1987 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 00:17   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Was travelling by bus through the streets of Mumbai yesterday and looked out the window to pass time.

Saw a man in a red Grand i10. There was nothing unusual at first sight to be honest. It was holding its lane well and no side to side movements or unnerving manoeuvres.

When I looked closely, there was a phone placed bang in front of the instrument cluster and was playing a video (possibly a movie). I was
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 02:02   #9
BHPian

I live in a college town in US so I am used to seeing innovations in things what you can do while driving. Eating while driving is very common and so is girls applying makeup (I have seen a girl driving at 40 mph with the visor down, vanity mirror open and the vanity mirror light on). That is why college towns typically have higher road accident count.

On a separate occasion, I have seen a young student who is probably late for a class presentation/interview, putting on a professional suit while driving.
rachitagarwal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 03:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

I've seen my former neighbor drive with cabin lights on when he switches on his headlamps. I've never understood why.
landcruiser123 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 04:39   #11
Team-BHP Support

Hmm Weird things. Brushing teeth. that is definitely weird for anybody not govinda.
Watching movies. Yes, I saw that a lot. The speedometer is replaced by mobile phone pretty common.
Eating, makup, talking on phone, texting, not really weird.

However i think the sight I cannot unsee is the guy cutting his toenails. Yes, it was at a traffic light and he was not "driving" at that exact moment. But definitely weird.

Other than that, not weird for India but definitely weird for USA...? Spitting Paan.
tsk1979 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 06:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
I have seen people praying with folded hands near temples and eyes closed for a second while driving.
This is very common in my household. My uncle takes off his slippers while still seated inside the car, before he folds his hands and mumbles a few good thoughts/prayers. While driving, he usually needs to bring the car to a complete stop, so that he does this procedure with his feet. Thankfully he has a couple favorite temples where he does this. If he does this at every temple, he won't be going anywhere.

Another friend of mine never puts the car in reverse right away in the morning. He has to put the car in the first gear and move it an inch forward, before he backs it up. The theory is that if you back up in the morning, you are destined to lose or go backwards in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
I get the jitters every time I take my motorcycle out. Wondering when the next cager will hit me.
Next time you see a lady apply mascara while at the stoplight, rev like crazy by the window - scare her and make her messup the mascara. I get a kick out of that

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 2nd March 2019 at 06:35.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:34   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Another friend of mine never puts the car in reverse right away in the morning. He has to put the car in the first gear and move it an inch forward, before he backs it up. The theory is that if you back up in the morning, you are destined to lose or go backwards in life.
I do the same thing in the morning/ after the car has been switched off for a long time, my father taught me this. But I guess there is something technical about it than such a myth.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Cheers!
DPetrolHead is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post
I do the same thing in the morning/ after the car has been switched off for a long time, my father taught me this. But I guess there is something technical about it than such a myth.

Cheers!

Reverse gear won't engage easily sometimes in cold condition, hence you move the car forward a bit and try again.
speedmiester is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 13:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
However i think the sight I cannot unsee is the guy cutting his toenails.
Not toenails but my car is only place where I cut my nails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPetrolHead View Post

Cheers!
I have no logic but I also have a mental block about this. I always move car an inch in forward gear prior to reversing the car out of the parking space.
BANDHAV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks