Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 11:55   #16
BHPian

Re: Food items to carry on long drives

I carry only dry fruits and a humble bottle of water.

For me, biscuits, chips, tetra-pack juices and cold drinks are a strict no-no as they immediately lead to acidity, which is definitely not a favourable situation anywhere, leave alone on long drives.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:00   #17
BHPian

From the Driver's POV:
1. Dry Fruits: Best while keeping the eye on the road. Don't have the salted ones, they will make you thirsty. Stay off the chips - long hours in the same position means the car freshner has to work overtime and suspicion levels among the co-riders is at a high.
2. Water / Beverages in sipper bottles: No distractions while driving on the twisties
3. Avoid all oily foods at breaks. Stick to dal rice, easy (safer also)on the stomach and keeps you fresher for longer
4. Hard boiled confectioneries: For that burst of energy (sugar induced), when the eyes start getting tired of the oncoming high beams. Also no sticky fingers.
5. Barf bags: For the passengers, take care how you dispose them. (I usually use a roads side eateries garbage bin or truck lay byes)
6. Do make stops for tea - safest beverage / food (for us Indians)
7. Avoid home cooked food - messy, greasy, Indian weather and heat WILL spoil them faster on-road and disposal also becomes an added stage.

Basically keep it simple.
jazzrockz is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:30   #18
BHPian

Paranthas (stuffed or plain) for their ability to stay soft over a long course of time and non-salted Pop Corns (as per my cousin who is a Dietitian, plain jane Popcorn is a healthy snack). You get 'branded' ready to eat Pop corns also these days (from the likes of ActII) as well in case you are particular about hygiene.

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 12:47   #19
BHPian

We normally carry homemade methi theplas and cheese sandwitches. And yes, chewing gum and toffies. And at least 2 water bottles, to keep all the passengers hydrated.
Swap_Abarth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:04   #20
BHPian

The one thing i dont step out for long drives without is my ice box.Always and Every time. I would prefer to stay hydrated with loads of fluid and some knick knacks.
It has pop up cans, juices etc.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 5th April 2019 at 13:31. Reason: Removing the unwanted bits. Rule #11. Thank you.
nkghai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:06   #21
Senior - BHPian

Carrying essential food items for any road trip is very important.
Things that are to be carried should be as per one's taste. However the items should not be such that they induce sleep or laziness especially if you are the driver.

Things like fruits, nuts, chips, chocolates etc. are very good. However you must carry a car bin and empty it at your next stop or else there would be bad smell in the AC cabin.

Selecting a good highway dhaba or restaurant is also very important for obvious reasons. Sometimes we prefer drivin at Mcdonnels. Do not entrer deserted dhabas. One way of selecting dhabas is where tourist and state buses go as they would be better than the others. Besides the good food it is also important to have clean toilets especially for the ladies traveling with you.

Also stocking some essential food items is important for the occasional traffic jam or areas where it may risky to stop.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 5th April 2019 at 13:07.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:09   #22
BHPian

I usually carry peanuts or chivda type snacks in a reused Keventers bottle. It is easy to store in a cup holder and open and snack on while on a long drive, without making a mess. Usually have some rolls or sandwiches for meals and some water for hydration.
Crhysis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 13:34   #23
BHPian

I see most of the posts are on food items but not much on drinks to keep ourselves hydrated. I prefer carrying lot of water and drinks while driving and this actually helps in reducing junk eating.

I used to carry lot of packaged fruit juices earlier but later I realized that it is also junk food with high sugar and almost no nutritional value. So I switched it with butter milk - home made as well as packaged.

Believe me, if you have not tried early, do try to carry and drink butter milk while on long drives. It hydrates, keeps cool and reduces the want of eating junk.
Although packaged butter milk might not be that nutritious but it is not harmful like packaged juices and cold drinks.
There are lot of options available in market specifically - Amul, Mother dairy, Go, Heritage etc. And you can store these for longer as they don't get spoilt.
dextor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 15:08   #24
BHPian

I usually don't stop for food when I am on the highway and these are the things that I do:
  1. Water in a sipper bottle - this way I don't have to take my eyes off the road and they are safe to use.
  2. Sandwiches packed in foils.
  3. I don't carry stuffed paratha as stuffing can fall from paratha. What I do instead is mix the vegetables while kneading the dough so that it remains properly glued to the atta and we have minimum spillage.
  4. Khakras are my second favorite as they are light and can stay outside fridge for days.
YoungSaint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 16:27   #25
BHPian

On long journeys, I take breaks every 3 hours if I'm alone or 2-2.5 hrs with family. Keeps everyone fresh though the overall time might increase a bit.

For snacks, we carry some nuts, biscuits, Achappam (Dont know its english name) and lots of water.

@Dextor -: Thanks for the buttermilk idea. I should try it. The only problem is, I love buttermilk so much that I might overdose on it and will require more toilet breaks.
krish3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

INDIGO airlines taught me to carry these pre-made meals which only need HOT water for becoming full meals. If we search on E-comm sites we can find many more options & these can include Jain, Veg & Non-Veg foods. You don't need whole cooking paraphernalia for them & they also last longer.
For drinks, I prefer tinned cold-coffee or Tetra packed juices, buttermilk or even UHT milk. Sachets of Girnar Masala Tea & Nescafe Cappuccino are safe for people, who prefer CLEAN drinks.

In another life, train traveling had taught me to carry dry vegetables (cooked without using tomatoes) like Egg-bhurji, Brinjal, Okra, Beans, Cauliflower, Cabbage, Bitter Gourds (awesome with Puris/Luchis).
Paranthas none-the-less topped the list for snacking at anytime & even if cold, could be gulped down with Hot Tea. I loved ones filled with Ajwain.
I also always carried oranges, they helped a lot in case of a motion sickness & also helped in keeping one hydrated.

Raab Rakha.
ariesonu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:45   #27

I usually carry sandwiches, snickers or any other chocolate (dark chocolate is preferred), along with packets of tang, chips/biscuits, cup noodles for emergencies and lastly a garbage bag for all the trash, wrappers and empty soda bottles.

Not to forget chewing gums and pulse like toffees.
VTEC_Powaaaa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 18:52   #28
BHPian

Here is what I do when I go on for drives:
- I will carry a bread packet along with jam in jar or in paste form
- Chewing gum
- lots of water
- Pepsi or Coke or Redbull tins

I do not eat a whole lot while I drive, I feel sleepy if I do, in-general
I eat in small quantities and maybe because of that I have to eat once
in a while (every couple of hours). I keep sipping water once in a while
though.

So, when I have to drive for hours together, once in a couple of hours, I stop
by the road, make one or two pairs of sandwiches, have them and start driving again.

This keeps my stomach clean (my stomach does not go well with curries,
gravies, spicy stuff) and I dont tend to eat a lot, I eat less only as much as
it is required for me to survive for the next couple of hours, which helps me
to be active on the road, plus I get a break once in a while which helps me
clear some fatigue as well.

This strategy has helped me a lot while driving long distances.

Last edited by drvhplyevraftr : 5th April 2019 at 18:56.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2019, 21:15   #29
BHPian

I do frequent 300km drives, I feel in the home cooked options would go with stuffed Parathas, and sandwiches. From the ready to eat options I prefer dry fruits (give you the energy without sensation of fullness while driving), also keep a few bars of chocolates and biscuits. I prefer my in car food to be dry, preferably odourless and which can be consumed without fear of spills. One peculiar habit I have is that I need my hands odour free, so sanitiser is a must for me no matter how much I wash my hands.
sharad_kmc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 00:00   #30
BHPian

For long travel, normally I try to eat light before starting so that I do not feel hungry soon. Only for child, we take full provisions like biscuit, chips, chocolates, fruits. Do not carry any bottled juice but only plain water.
Try to take frequent breaks in the journey at good eating joints to have fresh food. If the distance is long without a proper eating join I normally carry a can of redbull and a bar of chocolate to have as and and when I feel hunger pangs. I avoid taking them together. Another option I opt for is taking bread sandwitches (raw bread, not fried or toasted) with a small spread of butter and cucumber and tomato filling.
However in peak summer, I avoid taking any food during travel and rely more on fluids.
autobahnjpr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed