Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2019, 08:13   #31
BHPian

On long drives I carry fruits and home made paratha, biscuits/cake and tetra pack juice for my son. I carry water in a 5 liter bisleri can. For last one year or so, in addition to the above food items, I have started carrying Yoga Bar carton (pack of 10). They come in very handy in those remote highways without a CCD or similar outlet (my family does not prefer stopping at a traditional dhaba).
ankan.m.blr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 10:20   #32
BHPian

Re: Food items to carry on long drives

1. Peanut Butter & Jam (Both Organic) sandwich.
2. Any fruit that is high in Vitamin C. If not fruit then carry plenty of fresh lime water (nimbu sarbat). If you make the lime water with jaggery instead of processed sugar, even better.
3. Water

Above combination takes care of your carb, protein and energy needs for a long drive. Easy to make, easy to carry.
amoghchaphalkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 13:07   #33
BANNED

My family often take a long trip, often on the basis of a month. Hence, I am aware of having enough energy as well as nutrients to keep me awake and stay alert for the long drive. By reading several food magazines, I’ve accumulated some useful information and also experienced myself. I picked top 3 foods that should pack up for the road trip to help drivers stay alert apart from coffee or tea.
1. Water-rich fruits, can be named as watermelon: 92%, strawberries: 91%, cantaloupe: 90%, peaches: 89%, oranges: 88%
2. Dark chocolate, cause it contains a massive proportion of energy and 70-85% cocoa solids with no sugar
3. Nuts such as almonds, walnuts or corns which offer protein and healthy fats to boost the alert during the long drive.
IndianAutoEnthu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 18:51   #34
BHPian

Perhaps I am the only one advising on a different note that is ‘do not carry any food item in your Car’.

10 years ago when I started venturing into car trips I ensured carrying food stuff of varieties filled to the brim. However, trouble arose when it came to finishing the remaining stuff after the drive i.e., in hotel. The cooked food got stale while the fried ones got smelly. Besides, no one was interested in consuming leftovers when fresh food could be ordered. The eagerness to experience the local flavours also made everyone deny the old food. My heart pained while precious food was being wasted.

With time, we have matured in making trip plans so that the need to carrying food stuff is avoided altogether. Besides highway eateries have also evolved in terms of both quality and variety and it isn’t very hard today to locate a good place for food. I carry only water bottles and nothing else.

Yes I do rely heavily on hotels during outstation trips as it will provide the following benefits to me and my family;

1. No food stuff / smell in car – helps averting rat menace.
2. Missus gets time to prepare herself / get adequate rest before journey as the time for preparing and packing food is saved.
3. Precious food is not wasted.
4. Need to wash utensils / throw away plastic plates spoons etc is saved (I understand that disposable ones are available, but still the sight of such things thrown in natural surroundings discourage me).
5. One can explore food options at will, without worrying to exhaust the packaged ones first.
6. Finally precious space is saved.

Yes, I understand camping is a different ball game altogether and my logic does not hold very good here.
King_pin09 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 19:58   #35
Senior - BHPian

You probably said what I had in mind King_pin. My family and I used to carry lots of food even for a 4-5 hour drive when we started our road trips way back in 2005-2006. If I think of these days , we rarely ever carry anything other than bottles of water. We might have an odd orange or an apple or a banana with us. Ofcourse I'm talking about the drives we do towards Chennai or Tirupati or Pune/Mumbai or towards Coimbatore / Kerala side highways. Those highways are quite equipped and we haven't felt the need to carry stuff along. Moreover our son is now a teen and isn't someone that we worry any longer, unlike a decade ago.

Even when we did a full Gujarat trip last year or a full Rajasthan trip during 2016 or when we did the golden triangle drive in 2017 we were just happy carrying just the water bottles with us.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 21:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Since our road trips usually start early in the morning, packed sandwiches and fruits are the breakfast of choice. While there are options in food courts and restaurants, wife and I prefer a road side halt (a good view/shade will be a bonus) for a quick breakfast without hampering progress. Our Coleman cool case is also stocked with juice and yogurt, the latter being my wife's universal solvent

We make it a point to stop the car while cutting fruits like apples (sharp objects on our uneven roads) and also to top up our water bottles from our collapsible water can. We refrain from buying water bottles unless our stock of 15L can is exhausted and target is to continuously hydrate ourselves while on the move.

Biscuits from the larder get a much needed circulation during trips (cookies, crackers are a favourite) rarely do we have salty snacks. Packed lunches have been an inclusion recently, so curd rice it is for sheer appeal and simplicity on shorter rides. For all-day driving, I personally try to avoid rice altogether.

Return journey is mostly an exercise in exhausting the inventory which had been carting along. A challenge always has been to refreeze the gel to for the contents in the cool box. Not all hotels/place of stay have a freezer and so it is usually fewer items in the cool box by then. Fruits are stocked up from a local market to see us through the return journey with the all-important curds and we're ready for the home run.

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 6th April 2019 at 22:00.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2019, 22:05   #37
BHPian

What we carry -
a. Bread chutney sandwich or puri for the first day.
b. Fried peanuts.
c. Banana Chips (Maharashtrian style)
d. Laddoo
e. Some biscuits.
g. Red Bull in case I feel a bit sleepy.
g. Khakra
h. iD filter coffee concentrate
i. Amul milk tetra packs (small packs)
j. Juices or cola for non drivers
j. Water

The cold stuff is put in a Quechha thermal bag with some frozen ice packs inside.

Preferred beverages en route - sugarcane juice and coconut water.

With this, we do not stop for any food enroute. Non stop driving from 6:00 to 4:00 with halts only for petrol/loo.

A friend of mine carries a small portable rice cooker with them. Used for everything from heating milk/water, maggie etc - handy with kids around.

Last edited by kotirajendra : 6th April 2019 at 22:23.
kotirajendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 17:03   #38
BHPian

Welcome to Team-BHP! I would advise you to carry the following items on long drives:
1. Lots and lots of fluids and that does not mean just water. Keep juices, buttermilk and even ORS Tetra packs with you as dehydration can be acute and dangerous
2. Dry fruits
3. Sweets ( For eg. chocolates, bread-jam) are a must if there are diabetic people on board with you
4. Homemade foods like parathas or sandwiches which last longer and are easy to eat while on the go.
5. Chewing gums or mints to keep you awake and alert during your drives.
In fact a friend of mine keep ice cubes with him while he is driving...
Hope this helps.
aakash1412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 08:02   #39
Senior - BHPian

The below is list of food items I used to carry on the many long drives we did when back in India. Do note the below
1. By Long drives - I am referring to one way drive of 600-800kms - this was our usual vacation drives - typically places in TN, KERALA OR KARNATAKA
2. I always start the drive very early in the morning - usually between 330-430am - rarely beyond ( partly due to traffic and mostly because my son and wife just doze off till about 9am and I always enjoy driving in silence ! )
3. Typically I am driving till about 3pm in the afternoon. Rarely beyond that.
4. I am not a foodie

Things I carry
1. Water -of course
2. Red bull or some energy drink - I have half a can before starting my trip. Rest I dilute in water and keep sipping through the drive
3. Bananas ( no other fruit ) - because easy to handle and very balanced nutrition
4. peanut candy - again easy to handle and wholesome

My son carries some of his favourite South Indian traditional snacks ( biscuits/chips etc have never entered our house as yet ! )

My wife nibbles from any of the above

back in 2015-16 itself, in the routes I take, there were enough and a growing number of restaurants on the way. So never felt the need to carry any other food items. we just carry some rice based dish as a back up for my son because he is on a gluten free diet and just in case we don't get rice at a hotel, we can use that.
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 09:32   #40
BHPian

We go a lot of long drives all around the year and the food goes with the season as well as the routes that we take depending on the food joint. Many here have written almost all the varieties and combination but my personal suggestion will be lot of water as we can seldom rely on the water as that is the main source of making you sick. Carry some energy drink like Gatorade and also no matter what take some breaks so you can always give some rest to mind and leg. Foods like packed energy bar, chocolates, biscuits and light snacks can save your day if there is a traffic jam and we are stuck. Happy journey and have fun on your travel as other most important thing in long travels is the local cuisine.
coolrats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 10:08   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archbishopofbhp View Post
Can I get suggestions of a few types of food that we can carry for long (say 500 to 600 km stretches at a time and perhaps some that last over 2000km or 5 days in all) trips?
I have always carried sandwiches, cakes, biscuits, chips or even puri-subzi on some of the longish trips. Works well for the most part as the processed foods don't spoil and are relatively easier to clean and are generally a hit with the kids.

However, on a recent long trip around Rajasthan, I was introduced to the concept of taking fruits along and the relatively easier availability of fresh fruits in small towns/villages off the beaten path where restaurants are few and far between. Also, the fruits are far easier on the stomach when all the exercise the body has gotten in the last 12-15 hours is jump up and down on speed breakers or when you walked to the washroom.

While this may not suit everyone given food preferences, cleanliness requirements, kids requirements inter alia, I will definitely be using this as an option more and more often.
varunsangal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 13:25   #42
HrB
BHPian

Few cans of Red Bull to keep you awake. Goes a long way in those afternoon drives when everyone in the car tends to doze off.

Another item I prefer to carry is Black Pepper candies that are available in your nearby 'Paan' shop. Not at all healthy though.
HrB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 15:13   #43
BHPian

my choices:
Salty Foods:
1.Home cooked Methi Theplas. (Roll them with dry garlic chutney)Its a Gujarati Marathi combo) if done correctly theplas last 4/5 days
2. Khakra,(Didis Barnd is good)
3. Chicken Mayo Sandwich (Short Shelf Life)
4. Boiled Egg

Sweets.
1.Chikki,
2.Labango Latika
3. Am Shokto
4. Dry Gurer Pithe

Fruits.
As available on the road or tolls

Ready to Eat pre-cooked
I have an electric t kettle which connects to the car charger.
1.Nissin Cup Noodles
2.Girnar instant Tea
3.ITC/MTR Meals
4. Museli
5. Milk Powder

Extras
Car Garbage Bin
Garbage Bags
5/10/20 Lt Water Spout Bottle (Fill up at any good restaurant/Dhabbba)
Reusable bottles
Wet Tissues
Kitchen Paper Rolls
Paper Plates.
Large Mugs

Hope this helps.

Regards
RoS

Last edited by rulerofsun : 8th April 2019 at 15:19.
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

1. Water for the entire trip. On a 10 day trip in winter, took a little over 20 liters. Refilled the minimum at my in-laws place on the return day.
2. Fruits lasting the initial 3-4 days (only on > 3 day trips)
3. First day breakfast/lunch depending on start time. Mostly its only kids who can't hold until first stop.
4. Bread and Jam/jelly ( only on > 3 day trips)
5. Cookies
6. Tetrpacked juice (only on multi-day trips)
7. Wet tissues

Only once we took an electric kettle and cup noodles.

Usually its all dry food that wouldn't spill around and create a mess. I do plan my rest stops and try to eat out as much as possible.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2019, 16:47   #45
MSA

Hi,

I've driven solo and with family (seniors) and nieces - ie, covering entire spectrum of age-group and dietary preferences!

1. First, for those who are prone to motion sickness, you need to ensure that they have medication before getting on long journeys and ensure they travel on light stomachs. Non-scheduled stops (side of the road / shade) have to be made for persons who have strict diet schedules - you can't wait for a dhabha / restaurant etc.

2. Most important food is for the driver - nothing sleep inducing - oily or cheesy. Dry sandwiches, idlies, paranthas (esp rolls) are great to keep passengers fed and happy.

3. Nuts, raisins, dry fruits, berries dipped in chocolates, non-salty biscuits and non-messy fruits - oranges and bananas are best for me - I am the principal driver.

4. Despite the need to pee, you need to ensure you have adequate water / black tea coffee (as milk can spoil in Indian summers), if you need that caffeine shot to keep you up.

5. I wouldn't recommend colas/red bull since that would get you gassy and lukewarm colas are worse than lukewarm tea/coffee.

6. Especially in summers, make sure you have ORS / equivalent with you.

7. Although easy to carry and dry, I would avoid chips and any form of fires as you feel thirsty after that and then need to use the loo...and you will spend GPSing good bathrooms rather than driving and enjoying the drive.

8. Do not take flavored yogurt on long distances (2/3) days. In spite of using an ice-pack, it lasted only one day for me (traveling from Bangalore to Delhi).

9. Local fruits, provided easy to consumer, are great. Again, Bangalore to Delhi, takes you through strawberry country - I have not tasted strawberries that good anywhere in India any other time. Because it was winters, we were able to carry the strawberry from near Kolhapur all the way to Delhi. Similarly, between Ooty and Mysore there were lot of palmsugar vendors - couldn't have carried it, but missed making a pit stop. Somewhere else in India, I saw pineapples lining both sides of the highway - and didn't take it. So, if you like the fruit, do stop and buy.

10. Famous dhabhas and eateries - provided passengers do not suffer from motion sickness and you have access to good loos on your route AND you have time, feel free to stop at good eateries. However, in all my road trips, never came across any restaurant that was a MUST stop. This is my personal experience and taste.

These are what I followed, hope they help!
MSA is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks