Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2019, 11:02   #16
BHPian

Re: Observations from bicycling on Mumbai roads

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser2707 View Post
I have long wanted to buy a road bike and relive my childhood passion of cycling. Somehow the road & traffic conditions have held me back. Thanks for your thread. With a little precautions, cycling in the city can be real fun. After reading your post I am relooking my decision not to buy a cycle.

Don't wait. I have not looked forward to anything so much in many years as I look forward to my morning rides. Buying that bicycle has been the best decision I made in a long time.
Old 4th May 2019, 15:40   #17
BHPian

Mod note: Trimming entire large quote. Please avoid quoting complete post for replies. Affects readability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
Looking to gain fitness and lose some weight while doing something more interesting than the evergreen "sair", I purchased a bicycle just before new year.

————

I would love to get more insights from the forum members, whether as motorists or cyclists.
I started cycling at the age of 4 and since then it's become like an everyday routine. Nowadays I do15kms everyday.It let's u explore your surroundings and at the same time discover new routes.As a teenager now it's become more important to do some or the other physical activity and cycling is the only major sport I do ,as teens in my apartment talk more rather than play any sport and I generally don't like to talk much(introvert). I have also recently started going out on long weekend rides usually 50-100kms(two way) sometimes with my group or alone.Last week though I had a horrible experience when I was doing a casual ride.I saw a U-turn just 50m ahead of me and there was a Aggarwal Packers and movers truck(stationery) on the left most lane blocking the passage for many cars which wanted to go straight.As I passed this truck ,I suddenly see an etios taxi suddenly stopping on the left side and the driver opens the door and runs towards the median.I had no option but to brake hard as I could.For the first time, my bike did a summersault (as a result of me standing and not sitting on the seat)and I was down on the road.Thankfully, the person behind me did acknowledge that I had fallen down(I was wearing a high visibility jacket) and braked just in time.I was wearing my helmet , so I didn't get seriously injured.As far as the taxi guy is concerned ,he helped me get up and when people started shouting at him for his actions he simply blamed it on me .Could anyone tell me if what I did was right or wrong ?

Note:This is my first post on team bhp .

Last edited by Jaggu : 4th May 2019 at 15:49.
Old 4th May 2019, 16:19   #18
Team-BHP Support

Very useful thread for the fitness enthusiasts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagspabla View Post
1) As most bicycles lack rear view mirrors, cyclists are dependent on their hearing to detect traffic from the rear. Obviously, hearing is not as accurate in spacial recognition and identifying the type and speed of vehicles approaching from behind - I'm trying to hone this skill and I play a game where I try to guess what's going to pass me, how far away and when while riding.

3) Many countries require motorists to maintain a minimum 5 feet distance from a bicycle when overtaking it. Many times I have been jolted by vehicles passing very close to me in fast moving traffic. It is truly nerve wracking and can lead to sudden swerving and accidents. In order of frequency the most frequent offenders are: Auto rickshaws, Ola/Uber drivers, bikes, private buses, private vehicles
My biggest fear is the occasional car or bus that passes inches away. As I have a very severe hearing loss, I usually don't hear these vehicles approaching and become aware only when they pass me.

As Aditya has mentioned, I have developed the habit of looking over my shoulders every now and then to look out for approaching vehicles, but still there are moments when I may miss that look and exactly then a vehicle passes close by. Also, looking over the shoulder becomes a little difficult after riding a long distance and the body becomes a little stiff.

There is an interesting product that addresses this - called the TriEye. This is a riding glass with a small rear view mirror attached in the corner of the glass.

https://trieye.com/

Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of ordering one.

In fact with more instances of vehicles zipping past very close, these days I have become totally averse to outdoor riding and do all my training rides indoors. I need to do something to break this aversion/fear of riding outdoors!
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 17:56   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

https://trieye.com/

Has anyone tried this? I am thinking of ordering one.

Interesting. I had a very fleeting look at part of the video. One word of caution. Check whether they sell with an option of mirror on left or right. I think from the video it seemed it is on left lens so designed for countries where you drive on the right. May not be as useful for you if the mirror is on the left lens.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 5th May 2019 at 09:10. Reason: editing quoted post
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 20:51   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Check whether they sell with an option of mirror on left or right. I think from the video it seemed it is on left lens so designed for countries where you drive on the right. May not be as useful for you if the mirror is on the left lens.
Yes. They have both US standard with mirror on the left and UK standard with mirror on the right, and another option with mirror on both sides. I tried to order from their website, but there was some problem with the payment gateway. Have written to them to resolve this. Will share my experience once I get them.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 21:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

My only other input graaja is I would prefer polarised lenses. Specially if you are doing long rides in our conditions.

No, we have chosen not to include polarized lenses in the box. Polarized lenses are good to prevent reflections but it also makes it more difficult to see puddles, manhole covers, and tramlines in the road.

From April 2019 we will offer extra single lenses, both polarized, high contrast and photochromatic
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2019, 21:17   #22
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
No, we have chosen not to include polarized lenses in the box. Polarized lenses are good to prevent reflections but it also makes it more difficult to see puddles, manhole covers, and tramlines in the road.

From April 2019 we will offer extra single lenses, both polarized, high contrast and photochromatic
Thanks a lot for pointing this. Did not notice this information. I will go for polarized definitely.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks