Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2007, 10:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Its quite surprising many of us think that helping an accident means hassle with the doctors and police. Like in the case of Surprise, I had picked up two accident victims who were seriously injured when they got hit by a car on the palm beach road in navi mumbai. On reaching the hospital in vashi, all i was asked what had happened and where.

Also it did help to make sure that the driver of the car that had hit the bikers was secure in the front seat with me. I bet there was loads of police trouble for him.

Drifter
Old 25th January 2007, 11:17   #17
BHPian

it can be some times

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter View Post
Its quite surprising many of us think that helping an accident means hassle with the doctors and police. Like in the case of Surprise, I had picked up two accident victims who were seriously injured when they got hit by a car on the palm beach road in navi mumbai. On reaching the hospital in vashi, all i was asked what had happened and where.

Also it did help to make sure that the driver of the car that had hit the bikers was secure in the front seat with me. I bet there was loads of police trouble for him.

Drifter
Drifter it is a hassle some times, I gave an example of what happened to one of my colleagues.
Old 25th January 2007, 16:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Three cheers to surprise & 15 cheers to his friend who agreed to take the victims in his swift. were you really harrassed after that ? please tell us what happened. would be interesting & enlightening too.
Old 26th January 2007, 20:28   #19
BHPian

Surprise,

Indeed a very commendable job done.Very few people do what you did.
God bless you.

Rahul.
Old 16th April 2007, 14:24   #20
BHPian

Hi, I agree that it is commendable that you took the initiative in taking the injured to hospital, and more for being willing to face the bureaucracy.

However, as a first aid tip, it is recommended that only qualified personnel should move accident victims from their position, unless they do so themselves. This is to ensure that non-visible injuries are not aggravated. The most common instance is a broken neck, which can have no visible signs immediately, but can be fatal when someone tries to move the person without adequate support.

Just a thought, actually, you can probably do more good by just managing the crowd around the victim(s), ensure they have breathing space, maybe sprinkle water to keep them hydrated. Practicing first-aid or moving injured persons without training could lead to even more problems.

Don't stop helping though!
Old 18th April 2007, 00:26   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm i agree that moving an unconcious person from an accident site , unless he moves hsi neck by himself is risk due to the reasons cited by avkurien. But in many situations its just impossible to "manage the crowd" the situation in 75% of the cases is that the crowd controls the vitims , yeah both parties . I had an accident about a month back and it was by plain luck and grace of god that nothing untoward happened that day.

As for helping , it should be situation based for once while driving in chennai , i was roughed up for trying to take a bleeding boy who was hit by a car to the hospital coz the people wanted to wait for the police to come and witness the accident scene !

what Surprise and Drifter did deserves appreciation , coz these kind of things make a lot of diffeerence.. way to go guys .....
Old 29th May 2007, 19:39   #22

Kudos to you Surprise, I have myself helped quite a few accident victims and have also been helped when I have been involved in accidents. Things are not really bad out there with people like you around, Thanks
Old 30th May 2007, 16:46   #23
BHPian

Wish there were some public-spirited people like you on the roads of bangalore too!
Old 30th May 2007, 17:00   #24
BHPian

good show surprise

hey surprise,

good show,
did the cops/hospital guys harass you?
Old 30th May 2007, 19:13   #25
BHPian

Bravo surprise. That was a great job done.

Once i took two bikers to hospital who hit a median in the midnight and were lying in the road and the only trouble i had was to wait in the hospital till the relatives of the victim arrived & some cash for the first aid. It could have been fatal if they remain in that state for a long time. I called police myself and so far i didnt face any issues related to it. Even if there is something, you will forget it once you see the face of the dear ones of the victims.

Ajit: You can be the one in bangalore
Old 21st May 2009, 20:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
On the way to our office, we saw a TATA 407 van crossed the median & hit a load auto coming in the opposite direction. A man did a 100 m sprint from the place, probably the driver of the van, to escape from the crowd. We stopped the car at the left hand side corner of the road to find out what has happened.

On the road, 4 women's in there 30-40's were lying unconscious under hot sun. Driver of the auto in his teenage was crying for help. It seem they all were relatives.

Lots of office goers, stopped their vehicle to have a closer look. Human layer around the accident victims increased several fold & new comers squeezed their way in.

Dialled 100 to inform the police control room about the accident. These guys at control room always do wonderful job (actually do what they are supposed to do). They noted down the place of accident to inform the same to the nearest police station. Some one in the crowd informed that ambulance service was alerted on the same.

There was only minimal bleeding from the head injuries for two & they were able to sit, after water was slashed onto their faces. Two of the other remained lying unconsious, but there were no symptoms of serious injuries.

Minutes passed, one's who had spent their quota of time paved way in for new onlookers, but there were no signs of any ambulance service or police personnel getting in to the site of accident.

Who knows, there might even be serious internal injuries, which would require immediate attention. I asked my friend whether he has any issue's in helping the victims by carrying them to the nearest hospital for first aid in his new swift. He had accepted for the same & all the four were dumped on the rear seat with the driver of the auto taking the front seat.

I took them to a hospital that was located 2 kms away from the accident place. Informed the doctor that 2 women become unconscious as the auto in which they were traveling overturned. Added that there is no external injuries just needed physician attention. So that he atleast attends to the victims, otherwise they simply say to take to Govt hospital. He had asked to bring them inside. With the help of few others, two were carried to beds and the other two walked inside to the hospital slowly.

As I came back to my car, I saw a person calling me inside the hospital. I know what will happen next. They will ask you lots of questions & simply threaten you that they will not attend to the victims. Once they know that there was no one around, they will do the first aid. Also they will give full treatment, if they were convinced that could get their bills paid.

1. KEEP ACCIDENT TOLL FREE NO STORED IN YOUR MOBILE.

2. WHEN YOU SEE AN ACCIDENT, DIAL AND INFORM THIS NUMBER ABOUT THE ACCIDENT

3. MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM THE PLACE OF ACCIDENT CORRECTLY

4. TRY TO GET SOME IDENTITY CARDS OR VISITING CARDS FROM PURSE OF THE VICTIM ( NOTHING WRONG IN DOING IT). TO INFORM PERSONS CLOSE TO THE VICITIM

5. IF POSSIBLE GIVE A HAND IN LIFTING THE VICTIMS TO THE AUTO OR CAR.

6. THINK FOR A MOMENT WHAT WOULD BE YOUR REACTION IF THE VICTIM WERE EITHER YOUR DAD OR MOM OR BROTHER OR SISTER. JUST GIVE 25% OF THAT EFFORT.

ps-1: later was told that both van and auto were traveling in the same direction. Van was tailgating the auto. Auto driver braked to avoid a women who cut the lane without any indication. Van driver could not control & he hit the auto.

ps-2: I dont blame public here. Our system is very bad. Even if one wanted to help the victim, he/she will be harrased with lots of questions from both hospital & Police (in case of fatal accidents). Thats the reason even the good hearted ones are hesitating
DEAR BROTHER. Now times have changed at least in mumbai few weeks ago I read in a news paper that helping a accident victim to hospital and doing it on humanitarian grounds you will not be harrased by police and almost all hospitals are told to admit accident victims, those days have gone that we will be told to take the victim to govt hospital.Also you will be asked few questions only once thats all, if at all any cop is acting smart you can complain to seniors.Rules are relaxed now maybe late but our govt has realized that if they dont stick to those lousy rules followed ages back so many lives will be saved SUCH A WISE THAOUGHT
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:21   #27
BHPian

Hats off to you and appreciate your effort in helping the victims.
Old 22nd May 2009, 16:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Good going mate. Need more of your kind.
Old 24th May 2009, 00:42   #29
Senior - BHPian

You did a very good job. Its very important to react like humans at times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks