Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2019, 10:54   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Google Maps starts marking speed cameras in India

If I am a regular commuter on a particular road, and I know all the locations of speed camera that's fine. I know locations of speed cameras on NE1(Ahmedabad- Baroda Expressway) and I drive accordingly. However, providing details of the location of these speed camera beforehand kills the purpose of speed cameras.

MORTH ( Ministry of Road Transport & Highways) is very active nowadays. I don't think they will tolerate this. Very soon Google will receive a letter to take down this feature.
SJM1214 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 11:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

I say what is new with this?
Waze was acquired by Google many years back.
Waze always had this feature!
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 13:34   #18
BHPian

Well if I was in RTO, I would make use of this smartly. I would ask my department members to tag all the accident prone areas as having speed cameras using there phones without the need to install any
Saves lives and also cost.
RoadSurfer is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th March 2019, 14:13   #19
BHPian

On my recent drive from Delhi to Jodhpur, I saw a lot of these mobile speed trap warnings pop up on Google maps. This caused me to be more cautious (not that I was speeding anyway). In some places, these cameras were actually deployed, while at others, they had moved away.
I think this is a brilliant concept by Google in favour of safety. When a mobile speed trap warning pops up on mobile screen, the driver is forced to scale down speed and bring it down to the laid down safe limit. This forces the traffic to be disciplined and stick to the speed limit. On the other hand since the mobile speed trap cameras are mobile, they can carry on changing their positions regularly and still catch offenders. So, in a way this is a deterrent against speeding, & a fairly effective one at that.

Cheers !
Old 19th March 2019, 19:31   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Well if I was in RTO, I would make use of this smartly. I would ask my department members to tag all the accident prone areas as having speed cameras using there phones without the need to install any
Saves lives and also cost.
But then, it could be removed by those who don't see a speed gun and let Google know that it doesn't exist

Old 19th March 2019, 20:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The objective of speed cameras is to curb overspeeding anywhere. A speed-breaker dissuades even driving at 30 kmph, while speed cameras are generally used for multiples of that speed.

You've been on Team-BHP long enough to know my stand on this point .
No, I still don't agree. Can you please suggest the very basis of keeping 50 km/h as the permitted speed on 6 / 8 lane Delhi roads? The policemen with speed cameras would penalize for 58 km / h and this is my first hand experience in Delhi (Panchsheel Marg). Its absolutely incorrect way of misuse of law. I would be happy even if there are fake entries for the speed cameras.
Old 19th March 2019, 20:44   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Justified or not but apparently the government is having a gala time collecting all those fines. Some 34000 speed challans have been issued so far in Delhi since a month of installation of these cameras at multiple places. I myself would consider myself lucky if I do not get any since there are a bunch of them installed along my daily commute. It is good in theory but we have already had threads before discussing the merits of keeping 50 kmph as the permissible speed limit in Delhi where average speeds on most stretches exceeds that easily. I have finally decided to use the speed limiter function of the Bimmer .
Old 19th March 2019, 21:17   #23
Senior - BHPian

The problem i see on our highways is that speed limits are not displayed conspicuously. Sometimes it could be a small board in the left corner (like the one on the Hyderabad-Bangalore highway near Devanahalli village), and sometimes it could be more prominently placed on the road divider (like the one at Penukonda windmills). It is easy for most of us to miss it when it is for the first type. Instead, it should be displayed on the led bulletin boards that are now seen on the highway from one corner to the other.

This apart, I've never seen a board that says 'speed limit ends'. I've seen several in UK. Therefore, once I see a 70 kmph limit board while entering Kurnool outskirts, how long do I need to stick to that limit? I use my own judgement and speed up once the road gets empty, and devoid of buildings on either side.

Owing to the above, I really love to have this feature on Google maps. Else it will give the cops a big hand to impose hefty fines on gullible drivers. Haven't we heard of people being fine Rs 1400 on the Hyderabad ORR for going 2 kms over the speed limit?

I'd be a strong supporter of speed checks only if the above issues are addressed. It is good that the government is trying to reduce accidents, but they should also do their part in specifying where the limit ends.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 10:06   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Wanted to mention three points after a recent 300 km drive.

- As is obvious, if you're using Google Maps navigation, a voice prompt does come up telling you that a mobile speed camera is ahead.

- I got 4 warnings and all of them were BOGUS. One was on a road that is always crowded and I knew it's impossible for cops to place a camera there. Equally, all of these had just one user report. Guess it might be more reliable if more people report it. Google itself should put a filter of 3 - 4 reports minimum before marking the location on its maps.

- Even got this (I clicked no).
Google Maps starts marking speed cameras in India-20190324-16.27.20.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:08   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I say what is new with this?
Waze was acquired by Google many years back.
Waze always had this feature!
Exactly! And Waze had much more than this. It had speed limit indicator as well. Both platforms need crowdsourcing, without which the features are totally useless.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:42   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Exactly! And Waze had much more than this. It had speed limit indicator as well. Both platforms need crowdsourcing, without which the features are totally useless.
It just bolsters the fact that even after absorbing a tech company with a ready platform capable of new stuff, the giants behave like a bureaucracy only.

Another thing I love about Waze is the Police alert.
Absolutely must for India where the "checking" is more of extra-curricular earning method.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:22   #27
Senior - BHPian

Today morning I am getting an option to add congestion too.

Google Maps starts marking speed cameras in India-screenshot_20190318133118306_com.google.android.apps.maps.png

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 28th March 2019 at 10:29.
myavu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 10:24   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Today morning I getting an option to add congestion too.

Attachment 1863772

Cheers!

Vinu
Yeah I got that too yesterday. In mine it asked if the congestion I was stuck in was still there and I marked it yes. I feel it's a great way to inform other commuters.
Old 28th March 2019, 12:14   #29
BHPian

I was surprised on my recent trip on the ORR. Not that I was using G Maps, there was not a single speed camera deployed anywhere. The cops must be thinking of a way to beat the system.
But at least the ones on the Hyderabad ORR are manned by policemen. it will not be difficult for them to constantly move around and change their place.
Old 26th September 2019, 12:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben View Post
I was surprised on my recent trip on the ORR. Not that I was using G Maps, there was not a single speed camera deployed anywhere. The cops must be thinking of a way to beat the system.
But at least the ones on the Hyderabad ORR are manned by policemen. it will not be difficult for them to constantly move around and change their place.
Govt in coordination with Google have stopped this feature.

Any other alternate available ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks