Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2019, 09:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways

Lavato has a website here: https://www.lavato.in/

They describe themselves as "an initiative to build high quality public lavatory service, predominantly on Indian highways and within cities". As far as I can make out, the only location they have right now is on the western side of NH 44, about 5 km towards Bangalore from Krishnagiri toll plaza. They are easy to locate, since they share space with Mangalam Restaurant who does sufficient on-highway advertising.

Yesterday during my return to Bangalore, I needed to visit a lavatory. Usually when this happens I seek out the nearest CCD who maintain their toilets to reasonable standards. But this time I decided to try Lavato which I had only seen in my past trips, so skipped the CCD at Dharmapuri (Sai Sangeet complex) and drove on.

In brief: I was impressed. The place has ample parking. It is disabled friendly to an extend. It is spotlessly clean. The lavatory has several nice touches like individual wash basins and soap dispensers, functional bidet shower, a plug point to charge mobile phone and clothes hangar. The whole place is air-conditioned. There is a common hand drier and hand sanitizer dispenser outside (along with additional wash basins), and also chairs for those waiting.

Access is via a turnstile which unlocks after you scan a barcode on the ticket you purchase. On the egress side the turnstile has an unlock button. The ticket counter is immediately to your left as you enter; the whole thing modeled after a London tube station :-)

Downsides:

1. Cost. Ticket price is Rs. 10 for urinal and Rs. 20 for lavatory. It is very improbable that the average Indian male would pay that much when the entire roadside is his for free. Even for women, various restaurants along the route has free toilets. On the other hand being a premium product I expect people who want absolute cleanliness (minus the smell of phenyl-based cleansers) will be happy if only they knew about it. Which leads to...

2. Footfalls. I didn't see a single other soul using their service for the nearly 30 minutes I was here. I guess a lot of it happens during the early morning hours (I went in at 8 PM).

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-1.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-2.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-3.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-4.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-5.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-6.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-7.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-8.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-9.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-10.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-11.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-12.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-13.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-14.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-15.jpg

Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways-16.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 25th March 2019 at 11:21. Reason: Adding your pics :). Thanks for sharing!
binand is online now   (72) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 10:50   #2
SDP
Team-BHP Support

re: Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilet on highways

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 11:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

After paying outlandish tolls and getting all of us to waste time at nearly all toll plazas, the least that the NHAI could do was to have usable restrooms. The incompetence and corruption is unbelievable, I'm waiting for when they start putting up signs warning us not to carry outside food and drink when entering the highway.
avira_tk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:01   #4
Team-BHP Support

I wonder how long this will run; the better restaurants (McD, CCD, Vittal Kamath) typically have decent restrooms so people don't mind using those. Unless backed by restaurant chains or petrol pumps, the revenue (given the footfall) will be too measly to keep the lights on on such ventures.

A good idea nevertheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avira_tk View Post
the least that the NHAI could do was to have usable restrooms.
I'd rather use restrooms inside the restaurants or Lavato and the likes than depend on one maintained by NHAI. Anything that is open-for-all-public is likely to be abused, misused and not maintained. But to your point, yes, there need to be designated restrooms at periodic rest stops on every highway.
libranof1987 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 20:58   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good concept. Being a bit paranoid about clean rest rooms on highways, I would gladly pay 10-20 Rs for something like this. But as a stand alone solution, don't see this scaling at all. They should tie the cost also into the restaurants in the complex. The restaurants incorporate it into their billing and offer the rest room service for 'free' and give a share to Lavato.

A bold concept though and much needed especially on the less traveled highways.
Rajeevraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 09:59   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

There are few new rest rooms right beside the toll plazas along Coimbatore-Hosur stretch. Right now it's in good condition and hope it will be maintained.

I too would prefer to use the restrooms at hotels and that's what I always do since they are well maintained. However I would love to see Lavato concept pick up and partner with restaurants along the highway.

But it's the highway authority who should be doing this since we pay an hefty amount as toll (its close to 700 bucks from cochin to bangalore).
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2019, 12:07   #7
BHPian

IMHO there is scope for couple of such stations on each side of the highway(atleast chennai-bangalore stretch. Though lots of restaurants have toilets either side of the highway, as long it is free, its going to be dirty to the T. They can maintain the toilets if crowd is moderate,if it is busy they might not be able to keep up.

I would anyday pay 20rs for a clean toilet than rely on the generosity of the NHAI or the restaurant owner(though its our money)

Last edited by aadya : 23rd March 2019 at 12:08. Reason: additional matter.
aadya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Lavato: Premium & hygienic toilets on Indian highways

Many thanks for sharing! Uploaded your pics as attachments too.

Highways are okay for men who can pretty much take a leak anywhere, but they are a mess for women. Lavato will become very popular with the ladies. May Lavato's presence only increase.

10 bucks is a steal....I would gladly pay double / triple / quadruple that for such facilities. Many a time, we stop at a McDonalds just to use their restroom and buy a token item or two to be polite. Considering that, Lavato might actually be cheaper!
GTO is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:49   #9
BHPian

Thanks for sharing the info.

I think this will fly. The ladies would love it and this may become a brand which then can be exploited for other revenue generation like, adding a Cafe for example.

10 Rs for access to clean toilet on the move isn't a bad thing.

Nowadays, even in some malls they keep a tips pot for people to show gratitude towards the cleaning staff. And not all but many put 5/10 Rs which I feel is a good thing to do.
the_skyliner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 11:53   #10
Senior - BHPian

I shown this thread and photographs to my wife. She does not mind paying Rs.50 for such facility.
Latheesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 12:29   #11
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing, this is a boon for road travelers especially the ladies and children for the comfort, hygiene level and cleanliness on offer, in fact Rs.10-20 is very nominal
Over they years, at many of the restaurants on highways that see heavy footfalls, quality of restrooms have deteriorated. We need more of these especially on our highways.

Last edited by NPV : 25th March 2019 at 12:30.
NPV is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 15:48   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm sure the ladies will be very happy to see something like this. Even as a guy I'd happily pay for such a decent toilet. If they would add showers, I'd happily pay more.

Just got back from a road trip, yes all the hotels and restaurants on the highway do have bathrooms, but not a single one is this clean. Even the McDs and CCDs are good compared to the rest, but not really great. Most restaurants have pretty bad toilets, a couple of Kamats restaurants had downright bad ones.

Last edited by am1m : 25th March 2019 at 15:50.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2019, 16:14   #13
BHPian

This is a very nice attempt but I don't understand why Lavato wants to reinvent the wheel by setting up a standalone toilet complex. On the highway, this can be located either beside a petrol pump, toll booth or food plaza. Also, for something sharing space with a restaurant, the complex appears to be too big.

Now, above-mentioned locations all have free toilets facilities (not counting their usefulness). However, I think it is high time that we Indians accept the fact that something basic like a urinal needs maintenance which can not happen by magic. The maintenance needs money and hence it should be acceptable to pay for using the services and 10 Rs is small change for that. Last week I was in Thailand and saw such pay-per-use toilets at every tourist location. For about the same fee as 10 Rs, there were some nice value additions on offer such as tissues, soap, face wash etc.

Pragmatically speaking, I don't see Lavato survive standalone but they can certainly do well with compact setup located jointly with other utilities.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 02:08   #14
Senior - BHPian

Looks very attractive, but don't see the business sustaining unless they have a restaurant/cafe or other utilities. That being said, it is a very good idea to have toilets that the clean and well-maintained. People (especially women) would pay the 10 or 20 bucks without any second thoughts.

No doubt that there will be lots of users, but they surely can't break even and will burn cash if they run as a standalone toilet business.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 03:54   #15
BHPian

A good motel/restaurant usually have good and clean restrooms. Footfall is obvious for their food.
With that being said, knowing a good one which is at distance and Lavato nearby would help.
Their location is key and so is their name that everyone know there’s something like pay to p** (A common man would mock on this)

If the toll booths have clean restrooms, the need for lavato will be over.

Last edited by procrastinator : 30th March 2019 at 03:55.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks