Team-BHP - Would you tip Uber / Ola / Meru drivers?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Street Experiences (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/)
-   -   Would you tip Uber / Ola / Meru drivers? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/209294-would-you-tip-uber-ola-meru-drivers-2.html)

I don't understand the concept of tipping, in general as well as with regards to cabs. If there is an agreed price for any service and I get that service, I don't understand why I need to pay more? The fact that I pay the agreed price should be enough to demonstrate that I got the agreed service.

However, there are times when delivered service exceeds agreed expectations. In that case, I feel one may tip but again, I don't feel this should be a norm. For eg. say I book a cab, load my luggage in boot, get in the cab, reach my destination and ride ends uneventfully. I don't see any reason to tip. On the other hand, say my elderly parents are travelling and cab driver assists them with luggage then he does deserve tip. What gets to my nerves is that staff in some hotels will rush to carry my luggage which itself is just a small bag with a pair of clothes and then expect to tipped for a service which I didn't even need. This is what I don't consider fair.

I tip Ola/Uber drivers on every single ride but it's more like "keep the change" kind of tip. That is, if the trip costs Rs. 132, I hand over Rs. 150. When the driver pulls out his wallet to return Rs.18, I say something on the lines "It's OK, leave it". Although the tip amount is minor, they leave with a big smile on their faces.

But then, I have a habit of sitting in the front seat and chatting about their car in particular and Ola/Uber experience (as a driver) in general. One could consider that Rs.18 as fees for tolerating my questions for 30 minutes.

I voted No.

However I try to pass on a tip directly in cash wherever I can without fail. Only time I don't like to tip is when I demanded for it. I also feel that by tipping, we are setting expectations in the recipients that everyone should be tipping them. If not taken in the right spirit, it will create a bad habit in the individual.

Recently, I hired some furniture from an online company. They sent 2 guys to deliver and assemble the furniture. In the end, I offered both of them some good money but they declined saying it's against their company policy. Even when I insisted that it was an unofficial token of gratitude, they declined.:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by tilt (Post 4589190)
I have read on Uber driver-forums that many drivers have no qualms about rating riders 4 or less if they do not tip or do not tip to the driver's satisfaction. This drives the rider's rating down rapidly and makes it difficult for them to get rides.

I am one such victim. Let me share my experience.

Last year, I was in the US for few weeks on a business visit. I would taken about 40-50 Uber trips and covered close to 1000-1500 miles during the time. After using the services for close to 10 days, I noticed there was a delay in allotting cabs to me. Instead of newer cars, I started getting old and even battered cars. Since the service was still good, I didn't mind at all. Every time I got in, I greeted the driver and on most trips, I struck a pretty good conversation throughout my hour long trips.

One fine day, I got a driver who was a thorough gentleman. During our conversation, he mentioned that I had a poor rider rating (~4.3) and most drivers avoid riders who have rating below 4.5. He also complimented twice that I was a very good chap and asked why did I have such low ratings. Usually getting in fights with the driver or damaging the car leads to such low ratings and I was confident I couldn't have offended any driver, let alone getting into a fight.

I gave it a lot of thought and then realized 'tips' was something I hadn't given anyone so far. I was using a corporate Amex card for all payments, which apparently didn't allow me to add any tips for Uber payments. I never gave tips in cash which I thought may look bad/awkward. The day I left the US, my rating was at 4.1.:eek:

This, IMO, is a bad habit/trend across the US.

I am in the favour of not tipping the Ola/Uber drivers for one. In the past 6 months of booking Ola/Uber car (which IMO are now a plenty) there has not been a single instance where I was satisfied with the ride when it comes to punctuality, following road traffic rules, communication methods and payment hassles. There have been instances where the driver blatantly assumes that the balance money is their tip. I have refused on many occasions tipping the driver even when they asked upfront purely from a satisfaction point of view.

I however tip my building waste collection boys, my house maid, Security person, car washer for any extra services taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashis89 (Post 4589796)

Shocking!

It is this tipping culture that has led to corruption in general in government offices as well. Don't really understand what is the need for tipping. I mean, people are paid to do a job and are paid for it by the employer. Why, then, should the customer also have to pay extra to get good service?

It is ridiculous for us to tip the likes of Ola/Uber. For example in my usual commute to work and back, in the morning I pay about Rs. 250 and in the evening I end up paying about Rs. 500. So, am I expected to "tip" over and above this absurd surge pricing? What about the extra Rs. 250 that I end up paying?

The entire tipping culture is absurd and ridiculous when it becomes an expectation from the person providing the service.

I hate the concept of tipping in general.
All these apps are trying to do is to pass on their responsibility of ensuring proper pay to the end customers. Both Ola and Uber take cuts from each ride and then tack on unexplained charges for their drivers which shrinks their income even further.

I only tip for exceptional service.

If someone has performed better than usual, gone a little out of their way for me - I will always leave a small tip as a sign of gratitude.
That being said, my preferred mode is to tip using cash and not through the app.

Quote:

I gave it a lot of thought and then realized 'tips' was something I hadn't given anyone so far. I was using a corporate Amex card for all payments, which apparently didn't allow me to add any tips for Uber payments. I never gave tips in cash which I thought may look bad/awkward. The day I left the US, my rating was at 4.1.:eek:

Not sure if you observed it or not, but the effect of the great tipping mafia in US is such that many credit card POS equipment doesn't allow any option of ZERO tips.

I was quite taken aback when I saw that the only "alternatives" available were 20%, 22.5% and 25%!

Similarly many restaurant, on your behalf, add gratuities ranging from 17.5% to 25%. And over this basic amount you can add anything extra you want to leave!!

It sets up a culture of social expectation and obligation, where the tipper is forced to display that he is not a miser, and the tippee is forced to expect baksheesh rather than wage/salary for doing even the base level services.

I don't like the system of tipping. People who are employed as waiters, railway coach attendants, food delivery staff, taxi drivers are doing their jobs. They are not doing anything extra. The guy who is supposed to deliver your pizza is employed for the same and is being paid for the same. I do not think one needs to think in a way he is doing extra service delivering the food to your home and hence needs to be tipped.

Infact, on my last journey in a duronto, the coach attendants who proudly display 'No Tips' on their uniform, will come to each passenger individually and ask for tips, and even after paying a decent amount, they are not happy and ask for more. They also write down the seat numbers who have tipped and not tipped.

Similarly, Uber drivers can rate their passengers, I believe high tipping passengers will eventually get a higher rating, and will be preferred by the drivers, ignoring the rides of the low rating passengers.

Quote:

I guess a workaround would be to pass on the tip to the driver well after the passenger has left i.e after the driver has rated the rider.

Anyways, I'm voting no. Theres an option in Zomato to tip the delivery boys. Recently a delivery guy literally snatched my phone from my hands to give himself a tip! Another time, the guy tells me he left the food in the bike and wouldn't go to get it untill I left a tip! And another time a guy cleverly tells me that the tip amount is actually the delivery charge and the 'company' has asked him not to deliver the food untill it is paid.

All 3 times I've complained to the customer care, all 3 times I've got the very same reply 'Sorry for the inconvenience caused'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeantownThinker (Post 4589815)
Shocking!

It is this tipping culture that has led to corruption in general in government offices as well.

Perfect statement. I am personally against the tipping culture. As a customer I expect the top notch service and that is why I am paying what I am paying. When someone says, I need to pay extra in the name of TIPS for a certain service, this simply means I was expecting a lower quality of service by default and this guy has gone beyond expectation.

I do NOT agree to the above logic.

At the same time, If the person has helped me beyond what is expected, then, I am ready to pay the extra service charge.

Just to give an example:
In a hotel, if the person who supplies the ordered food promptly and quickly and what not, I do NOT prefer to pay tips to him because, I consider it is his duty.

However, if suppose, he takes time and effort to clean up some food /drink that spilled on the luggage that is kept under the table, then, I prefer giving the tips because, it is NOT his duty to clean the luggage.

Regarding the app that gives option to tip the drivers, I personally think, this is a strategy. Now, there is an option for NO TIP. But, in version 2 or 3, they will remove this option and we will be forced to tip even in India. This is a big mafia in my view and this should be avoided in first step.

Voted No. I don't tip auto or taxi guys other than the few bucks for rounding off so why would I do that for the App Cabs which I have used very rarely when traveling with someone else.
What exceptional service are they providing that deserves something extra over their normal fare ?

Over the last few years I have become totally against the whole tipping and baksheesh system, especially during Diwali. Diwali is when all the most unknown people start crawling out of the woodwork and try to get your attention and be exceedingly polite. Old fat security guards who are normally snoring away jump to their feet and salute to put army guys to shame, 8 valets run to open my car door, other flat owners drivers randomly become extra friendly and so on. I especially lost it when the milk delivery boy rang the bell at 530-6 in the morning to Yell HAPPY DIWALI SIRRR !! in my face. Gave him a piece of my mind on the 3rd day and the company as well.
I do give my employees a gift on Diwali and bonus only on completion of a year of service, not before. It's a reward for loyalty and good service.
I have a simple policy. Bonus and proper salary has to come from the employer not from any random person you meet while doing your jobs. Tips are for doing your job WELL not for DOING your job and that too consistently.
As someone who is self employed and running a small business, I can say for sure none of my clients pay me extra and double for the festive season, in fact payments get delayed because they say that they are running short after giving bonuses to others ! So similarly I don't see why every random chap feels entitled to an extra payment for no reason

As far as the tipping would remain anonymous, I won't mind tipping for good behavior, cleanliness and more to that for a good & safe driving.
I voted yes, assuming it shall be implemented the way Zomato has implemented it, i.e. the person would get all the tips accumulated on the month end and I believe has no idea on who tipped him and how much. But, if riders are exposed on tipping amount, I wouldn't consider it voluntary. It no doubt would create unhealthy atmosphere.

I don't tip, unless the change to be returned is negligible (less than Rs. 10). In that case, I politely refuse when the driver offers the change back.

I've also tipped Zomato guys on a couple of occasions: once when I ordered at 11:30pm on NYE and my food was still delivered on time, and again once when it was raining heavily but the dude still delivered my food on time. In both cases I selected the "Add tip" option on the app and allowed a very small amount to be deducted.

My dad had the habit of tipping at restaurants, but over the years I've successfully managed to make him get rid of it. I made him understand that they're already charging a certain amount for their services, and unless the service is exemplary (which it never is), there's no point tipping. Went out for dinner a couple of nights ago, and noticed him paying by card and not leaving any tip clap: (service was horrible)

Dad also used to leave huge tips for the hotel boys who used to carry our bags up to our rooms. Made him stop doing that too, since we never carry more than one bag per person and we can carry our bags ourselves.

Tipping is a major source of income for the people who work on minimum wage in the US. I have a couple of friends who work part time in the US to support themselves through college, and the amount they receive as tips far exceed their wages. It's a good thing for them, but then they also start expecting tips from everyone, thereby delivering a below-par service to those who don't tip. That shouldn't happen since they're getting paid for their services in the first place.

I think when I'll start earning, my outlook toward spending money (and by extension, tipping) might change, but as of now I'm not comfortable spending more money than what's required.

I am fully in support of showing gratitude by means of tipping if I have received good service, but tipping should be in no way mandatory in order to get good service.
Thus I voted 'yes' in the poll, but in case of cab drivers, the tipping by each person should be hidden from them and paid out as a lump some at the end of the day / week / month, to make it rider agnostic and to avoid harassment in form of lower rider ratings.