Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Bicycles

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2019, 12:13   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yulu bicycle sharing comes to Powai, Mumbai

Yulu has started offering its app-based bicycle and e-bike rental services in the Powai area of Mumbai.

Yulu bicycle sharing comes to Powai, Mumbai-yulu-bike.jpg

In the first phase, Yulu has deployed 80 bicycles (Yulu Move) at 15 Yulu zones in the area. In the next phase, the company plans to have a fleet of 250 bicycles and e-bikes (Yulu Miracle).

Yulu bicycle sharing comes to Powai, Mumbai-yulu-ebike.jpg

Yulu already has its cluster operations setup at IIT Mumbai. The company also offer app-based bicycle rental services in Bangalore, Pune and Bhubaneshwar. Users can choose between smart bicycles and battery powered 2-wheelers. Bookings can be made via iOS or Android apps. The bikes can be unlocked using QR codes.

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 13:11   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yulu bicycle sharing comes to Powai, Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Yulu has started offering its app-based bicycle and e-bike rental services in the Powai area of Mumbai.
Have been noticing the bicycle services at the Delphi building since last week, quite close to my office. There are around 4 bicycles parked there. Haven't seen any subscription I guess, the numbers are still intact.
Old 15th May 2019, 17:46   #3
BHPian

Yulu is a huge boon for last mile connectivity in Bangalore.

There are hundreds of Yulu zones in Bangalore, and the best part is, they have set up zones inside most big apartment complexes or societies.

This allows users to pick up a cycle from their society, drop it near bus stands/metro stations and so on. It is also helpful when I have to run small errands, and don't feel like walking.
ts1506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 19:40   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

While in principle this might be great, but (IMO) the traffic situation at Powai seriously handicaps this to only recreational aspect within the Hiranandani areas and around the lake, and that too at very specific time durations. The main arterial roads get chocked up with traffic from 9 onwards to late night with a few hours in the afternoons showing some respite. I'd be very interested to see how the pilot run works out.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2019, 20:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
While in principle this might be great, but (IMO) the traffic situation at Powai seriously handicaps this to only recreational aspect within the Hiranandani areas and around the lake, and that too at very specific time durations.
Cannot agree more, but it's a move in the very right direction. I would be delighted if this pilot turns out to be a huge success.
Old 15th May 2019, 21:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
While in principle this might be great, but (IMO) the traffic situation at Powai seriously handicaps this to only recreational aspect within the Hiranandani areas and around the lake, and that too at very specific time durations. The main arterial roads get chocked up with traffic from 9 onwards to late night with a few hours in the afternoons showing some respite. I'd be very interested to see how the pilot run works out.
In Bangalore I have seen people using these bicycles (they have a "hotspot" outside my apartment and outside my office as well). Although I have not yet mustered courage to try myself given the traffic in Bangalore. I think its used a lot during the weekends or in the early mornings etc. But I still dont think it is a good solution until we have dedicated bicycle lane in the city.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2019, 10:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think cycling is the perfect way to commute short distances in the city. Yulu bikes was first started in Navi Mumbai and I had tried it during their initial phase. It was as expected, nothing fancy and no trouble.

Initiatives like these can help bring 'cycling infrastructure' (or the lack thereof) into the eyes of the city authorities. No, I'm not saying dedicated lanes and all, but just improving flyover joints, broken patches of road on the left-most side and so on... can bring a significant change in our traffic situation.

Going forward, we need to find a way to accommodate cars, buses, etc. and cycles on our streets.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed