Go Back   Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 20th May 2019, 12:43   #16
BHPian

Default Re: How Google Maps worked with Motorcyclists in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Interesting and thanks for sharing. I use a smart watch from Samsung which has a third party app (also runs as service in Android phone), both are linked via Bluetooth, every time I open map app, watch reflects directions in crisp manner within restrictive real estate of watch screen. Can't something similar be tried on a 2W dash screen ?
Definitely. Like most IT projects, the problem is less about technology and more about business constraints.

At the time we were analysing this, google maps did not have motorcycle directions and we had to get a commercial license if we needed this to be for the public. The "free" alternative is open maps which while good, is nowhere near the experience that google maps offers.

The ask from the client was that we mimic everything from google maps in open maps and show it on the cluster and do it for a pittance and do it in three months. Obviously the end was predictable.
hajaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 12:59   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post

So the only difference that comes about from the discussion is that BIKE mode take narrow or unpaved roads also into consideration while optimizing the route.
Exactly. Quite problematic in cities/towns having some localities with narrow, congested lanes.
superbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2019, 17:17   #18
BHPian

I remember receiving a prompt from Google back in 2016 asking if I ride a motorcycle. Of course, they were surprised to see me make progress at 30-40km/h when the traffic was moving at 10-15km/h.

So, my data must have been used for gathering moto-specific routes info.

I still hate that Google automatically recalculates and selects a shorter route for me. I've been asked to take a left while I'm riding on an elevated stretch of KMP expressway. I'd love it if Google asked me for confirmation before readjusting my route. Sometimes, I don't care about a shorter route. I just need a simpler route with fewer turns and street lights.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 20th May 2019 at 17:19.
MaheshY1 is offline   Reply With Quote