Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2019, 08:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

This happens a lot in Bangalore. I myself have had them do 'top-ups' many times, so thanks for the warning. Another issue I have is with V-Power Petrol. Do you know that many Shell outlets dispense regular fuel in the guise of V-Power? I have complained 'N' number of times to Shell, and they do reply to e-mails but have no method to raid the erring pump or demonstrate to the public that the fuel dispensed is indeed V-Power. Also, the time frame for any action from their side is 3 weeks minimum, by which time you just can't prove to them the fuel is regular. It's pure match-fixing. After multiple complaints and monitoring by me - the JP Nagar outlet is shelling out the real deal, but Gottigere outlet still sucks. Lalbagh outlet has always been trustworthy, in this regard. Anyways, I'll be watchful the next time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Shell fraud alert
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:27   #17
BHPian

I have a question: What if the customer actually agrees to just a top-up of the fluid in question (engine oil/coolant), and not a complete oil drain and fill? Since the optimum amount of fluid is already present, how is the top-up carried out? Do these people then over-fill, thereby putting the car's mechanicals at risk?
Old 22nd May 2019, 09:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shell fraud alert:
Pump said to my wife that the car is really hot and the car engine oil is very low and they'll replace it for free in 15 mins
After a few visits to Shell bunks in multiple cities I have realised that they are only interested in pushing "full tank" and it comes as no surpirse that they are resorting to lube tactics now.

They are aggressive marketeers, passing a good margin to oil retailers and today one sees yellow boards up at almost all oil retailers.

I used to be a fan of Shell lubes till 2012, not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I check all lubes & tyre pressures only when I need a fuel top-up.
I do a tell-tale check of the under-the-hood area once a week.
Old 22nd May 2019, 10:56   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
For most people though, it is the best time to give the car a once-over. I check all lubes & tyre pressures only when I need a fuel top-up. Easy to remember and convenient.
Completely agree that it is best to check fluids etc when filling fuel. However, it is best done if it is the driver/owner doing these checks or a trustworthy person. The way the petrol pumps are as being discussed in the thread, one might be better off not submitting your ride to the tender mercies of these folks. For e.g. in the incident I quoted earlier, there was nothing wrong with the coolant level.

That said, the tire pressure is certainly best done at fuel pumps or with your own tire inflater.
Old 22nd May 2019, 11:19   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Another issue I have is with V-Power Petrol. Do you know that many Shell outlets dispense regular fuel in the guise of V-Power? I have complained 'N' number of times to Shell, and they do reply to e-mails but have no method to raid the erring pump or demonstrate to the public that the fuel dispensed is indeed V-Power.
Thanks for sharing this, I would have never thought that Shell would allow its dealers to resort to such malpractices. How can a regular user like me, know whether I have actually got V Power or the regular fuel under the pricing of V Power?

A few years ago, I knew someone who worked in the Shell management side of things in Bangalore and off hand I had mentioned some less than stellar experiences with Shell and I know that they took corrective action immediately. Im surprised that things have changed to where they have no leverage over the erring pump dealers now.
Old 22nd May 2019, 12:25   #21
BHPian

Ideally you should wait for 5-10 mins after switching off the engine so that the oil settles down in oil pan and then measure with dipstick. If the engine is running, the oil level would always show low on dipstick as oil is circulating in engine while dipstick measures from oil pan. I think best time to check oil is before you start your car for the day
malgudi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2019, 16:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay.Hemmady View Post
Glad to have brought this to our attention. I anyways ensure to not carry out any top up or refills of any fluids at petrol pumps, aside from the scams, the cost of these fluids are way above the price available in auto part shops.

On a another note, since you mentioned an OBD sensor, can you help me with information as to where I could get one and usual cost for a basic one, nothing too high tech.
Amazon - basic one should be 500-1500 depending on the variant
Old 22nd May 2019, 20:47   #23
BHPian

Talking of Shell experiences, my most recent one near Byatarayanpur, Yelahanka road was disappointing.
They now push you to fill V-Power, claiming that the pump for normal petrol is not taking the pressure since it was just restarted due to power outage. With such messaging they manage to sell V-Power to unsuspecting users.. these incidents only reduce the trust and would be matter of time before they start loosing out on customer loyalty.
Hope someone from Shell India monitors this thread and treat these observation with utmost seriousness.
Old 22nd May 2019, 22:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Send an email to
Quote:
generalpublicenquiries-in@shell.com
Mention the exact date time and location of the pump, If you do have a bill copy please send that too.

Once this is done you should get a call back from the owner of the shell store!
I have complained twice about shell outlets not allowing me to fill regular petrol and forcing me for V POWER GARBAGE!.

Below is the Email I got when I complained about this problem
Quote:
Dear Customer,

Thank you for highlighting the issue to us.

We have forwarded your valuable feedback to the concerned retail station and they will take necessary actions to address your concern.

Please note the Shell Activity #xxxxx for your enquiry.
Regards,
xxxxx
After this, the store manager was taken to task by the owner of the store! This has happened to me at the Mekhri Circle Shell bunk and the Sadashivanagar Bunk, both stores are owned by the same person and he was very helpful.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 10:06   #25
Senior - BHPian

BHPians,

Being an Shell employee, it pains me a lot to read about the rampant malpractices being followed at Shell pumps. Although I am not in the same vertical of business, I have proactively however raised this issue with my Retail counterparts who have assured me that they will be investigating the issue particularly at the Pune outlet. Having said that, I wouldn't be able to give any updates on the investigation until I receive something.

Mods: If this post is out of place and does not belong here, please feel free to delete it.
ghodlur is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2019, 11:23   #26
BANNED

It is a standard trick in the west, called 'short sticking'. I had been warned when I went to the UK so avoided it.

So the UK disease has come here, why not?
Old 23rd May 2019, 13:29   #27
Senior - BHPian

It's no use. They're protecting these errant bunks.
They take 4 days to revert and 3 weeks to investigate.
By which time, the problematic batch is already sold.
These are standard replies and nothing changes. I would request SHELL to reach out to me personally so we can weed out this malpractice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Attached Images

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 24th May 2019 at 01:50. Reason: Removing extra spaces
Old 23rd May 2019, 20:35   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Send an email to Mention the exact date time and location of the pump, If you do have a bill copy please send that too.

Once this is done you should get a call back from the owner of the shell store!
I have complained twice about shell outlets not allowing me to fill regular petrol and forcing me for V POWER GARBAGE!.

After this, the store manager was taken to task by the owner of the store! This has happened to me at the Mekhri Circle Shell bunk and the Sadashivanagar Bunk, both stores are owned by the same person and he was very helpful.
I fill up regularly at the Sadashivanagar Shell outlet. As soon as you step out, the staff asks you to open the bonnet to check the oil, I just ignore them.
Next tell them to fill a tank full of normal diesel, they revert back with a try of their premium stuff, as usual ignore them and have stood firm. Next ladies come over to sell anything from coffee, snacks, 3M stuff, rat sprays etc., again ignore them. But have never been denied or pushed around.
Old 23rd May 2019, 21:55   #29
Senior - BHPian

The Shell bunk in Lingarajapuram in Bangalore is one of the rip off bunks. I used to regularly fill petrol from there although I had a IOC bunk much closer. Tried VPower few times, but didn't find much of a difference thinking it's probably to do with my car.
Later when I got a diesel car, I tried their diesel and immediately realized how rough the engine got. Later I moved to Essar and still continue since they are consistent in quality.
I realized they sell normal diesel under VPower when on one occasion I topped up VPower in Chennai and enjoyed it so much that when I came back home, I topped up with VPower again at the aforementioned bunk and it was back the same rough engine. Never went back to Shell again.

Last edited by tharian : 23rd May 2019 at 21:56.
Old 3rd June 2019, 14:27   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Shell fraud alert:

Not sure if there is anything I can do but still wanted to share the experience in case it helps someone avoid this scam.
Can you kindly share the pump location? I have been requested by my counterparts in Shell Retail team to share the exact pump location as they have already initiated an internal investigation.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks