Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2019, 09:32   #31
BHPian

Re: Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can you kindly share the pump location? I have been requested by my counterparts in Shell Retail team to share the exact pump location as they have already initiated an internal investigation.
This was at the Shell pump in Thergaon near Dange chowk, Pune.
I shared this with my brother-in-law and apparently he faced something very similar at the Hinjewadi phase I pump as well
abhi182 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 09:38   #32
BHPian

The above mentioned practice is very prevalent here in both the shell bunks in West Pune (Tathwade & Hinjewadi).

1. Sir, Please open the bonnet, wehave a free service checkup for oil and coolant levels
2. Sir, Pleae try our V-Power,it gives you best results.

Every time i dont heed to their requests. You are there at shell for only one reason, Fill fuel, ust fill it and shut it.

A new bait is in the the offing as well. You agree for an oil change, you get some discount on fuel, effectively matching or nearabouts matching the oil.

After all in this world of cross sell and up sell, you will always be bombarded with such combo offers, be vigilant and focus only on your requirements.

Cheers
kutoos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2019, 10:32   #33
Senior - BHPian

There is always the possibility of them filling normal petrol as premium petrol, but I have always trusted the Shell pump I frequent. The only way to tell will be by any difference in engine smoothness (noticeable) or increased fuel consumption (very slight in cars). When I tested both fuels in my bike long ago, the difference was about 2 Kmpl. It may be better if Shell gives the premium fuels a slightly different color to avoid malpractice by errant dealers.

This particular pump does not hard sell premium fuel. They will mention it once, and if the consumer refuses they fill normal fuel quietly. When I enquired how frequently they get the premium fuel, I was told it comes in one compartment, whenever a full load of fuel arrives. Which is daily in this particular location.

I have not heard of such complaints in Chennai, but I have passed on the info to my friend's son, who works in Shell marketing division.

The dispensing of normal fuel as premium fuel is much more prevalent in PSU pumps.

Last edited by Gansan : 4th June 2019 at 10:36.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2019, 21:44   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi182 View Post
Shell fraud alert:
Pump said to my wife that the car is really hot and the car engine oil is very low and they'll replace it for free in 15 mins - she just needs to pay for the oil (5k)
They even showed her the dipstick and the oil did look alarmingly low

Thankfully she got worried that it may be a major crankcase issue (as oil won't fall that low without a leakage issue) and decided she'll pass on the car to the service center tomorrow despite the pump staff insisting that she risks ruining the engine.

When she reached home, I checked the coolant temperature reading with an OBD sensor (and on a separate note, everyone should get one of these cheap doohickeys) and the temperature was only 89C after a 30km run.
When I checked the dipstick, the oil level was absolutely fine.
These buggers did a sleight of hand and didn't push the dipstick all the way in to make it appear to her that oil is low.

Not sure if there is anything I can do but still wanted to share the experience in case it helps someone avoid this scam.
Hi

Embarrassed to admit that I fell for this con. This is at Siddapura (Varthur road) bunk in bangalore. The 'expert' checked the oil level in my innova and showed it was around min mark. I asked him to top it up, but he insisted that since the oil was so low, it was better to get it all replaced. Should have checked the drained oil volume but didnt
So replaced with 7 L oil, and used another 7 L prior for flushing (this was an oil cobranded by honda scooters and shell). Rs 6K total.
Have now complained to shell local manager and will write to the mail id given on their website. Anything else I can do ?
Cinquecento500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 05:10   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I dont fall for any of these tricks with these pump fellows. I just focus, as someone else said, on my specific requirements at the bunk and do NOT get deviated.
After all, what do they actually know about our cars, especially cars like mine, which I watch over with the eyes of a hawk?
I go to the local Shell Pump in Agara / Jakkasandra - around 2-2.5 kms from my house and fill up with V Power.
But the people at this Pump have always been unfailingly polite and nice and I have never seen them try any stunts even with the petrol that they are filling in my vehicles.
The only distraction if ever, is that once in while, if filling petrol in the afternoon/ evening, along with my Dad, then I succumb to the lure of a cup of coffee from the Shell Select Store (brought to me by one of the attendants), for Dad and myself while there.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2019, 10:32   #36
Senior - BHPian

I am a regular customer at Shell Chromepet, Chennai for V Power petrol. Very clean place, very polite attendants. They will mention "under bonnet check" but I have never allowed them to open the bonnet. What I do accept is their free windscreen cleaning.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2019, 18:28   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Hi

Embarrassed to admit that I fell for this con. This is at Siddapura (Varthur road) bunk in bangalore. The 'expert' checked the oil level in my innova and showed it was around min mark. I asked him to top it up, but he insisted that since the oil was so low, it was better to get it all replaced. Should have checked the drained oil volume but didnt
So replaced with 7 L oil, and used another 7 L prior for flushing (this was an oil cobranded by honda scooters and shell). Rs 6K total.
Have now complained to shell local manager and will write to the mail id given on their website. Anything else I can do ?
Shell customer care has been very responsive. Offered to investigate and then agreed to pay 50% of amount. Upon my insistence, refunded 100% amount. So still some amount of trust left on Shell
Cinquecento500 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 06:57   #38
BHPian

After having once being told that Shell fuel gives better fuel economy (FE) and that that's why most cab drivers in Blore use Shell, I decided to try Shell for a while. I then monitored it's FE using the fulltank to fulltank method, and found no difference whatsoever in the FE compared to say fuel from my nearby Indian Oil petrol pump.

Since then I've stopped using Shell. Not worth the premium at all.
Old 15th December 2019, 07:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
After having once being told that Shell fuel gives better fuel economy (FE) and that that's why most cab drivers in Blore use Shell, I decided to try Shell for a while. I then monitored it's FE using the fulltank to fulltank method, and found no difference whatsoever in the FE compared to say fuel from my nearby Indian Oil petrol pump.

Since then I've stopped using Shell. Not worth the premium at all.
For city runs you may not find it measurable unless you put in enough miles at cabbie levels. On long highway runs 1500+ km, it is much more obvious.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2019, 08:06   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
For city runs you may not find it measurable unless you put in enough miles at cabbie levels. On long highway runs 1500+ km, it is much more obvious.
True this. On one of my many Mumbai - Pune - Goa road trip, I drove only on Shell Diesel (normal)

The increase in mileage was about 2 kmpl. The clatter was less and smoother pick up.
Old 15th December 2019, 10:05   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Shell has good restrooms , cafe and a store where you can buy certain supplies for car as well as yourself. Their oil change business is not ideal, they do not stock OEM oil filters, whatever they can find in the nearby parts shop will make it's way into your car. You can be sure that the oil is genuine, thats about it.

The fuel - Is it any different from others? Aren't they made by the same MRPL refinery for Karnataka?

I have not paid attention to difference in fuel efficiency of Shell Vs others, if the performance isn't any different, chances are that fuel efficiency will be just the same.
Old 15th December 2019, 10:10   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Will try and remember to fuel up with Shell before my next long hwy trip. Thx for the tip.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:45   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Hi

(this was an oil cobranded by honda scooters and shell). Rs 6K total.
rati
Did they use the engine oil meant for Scooters?
During one of my visits to Shell, I was "requested" by one of the attendants to open the Bonnet to which I politely declined. I bet they won't even know where the oil filter is located in my car (The RHS front Tyre needs to be removed every time for an oil change)
Shell has always been my favorite during my long bike rides where I can take some nice Ka-Pee and Butt break.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 16th December 2019 at 09:48.
Old 16th December 2019, 09:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Did they use the engine oil meant for Scooters?
During one of my visits to Shell, I was "requested" by one of the attendants to open the Bonnet to which I politely declined. I bet they won't even know where the oil filter is located in my car (The RHS front Tyre needs to be removed every time for an oil change)
Shell has always been my favorite during my long bike rides where I can take some nice Ka-Pee and Butt break.
Why do they want to use a cheap engine oil to flush your engine? If your oil indeed needs an engine flush (like after tens of thousands of km on mineral) then it is easier to buy a flush from STP / Abro / Liqui Moly etc, empty that into your existing oil and run the engine for fifteen to twenty minutes.

You've been cheated badly - but the reason the cheating worked comes from your not knowing about oil, when to change it or how / when to flush an engine. I would hope that BHPians don't fall for such scams ..
Old 16th December 2019, 10:01   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why do they want to use a cheap engine oil to flush your engine? If your oil indeed needs an engine flush (like after tens of thousands of km on mineral) then it is easier to buy a flush from STP / Abro / Liqui Moly etc, empty that into your existing oil and run the engine for fifteen to twenty minutes.

You've been cheated badly - but the reason the cheating worked comes from your not knowing about oil, when to change it or how / when to flush an engine. I would hope that BHPians don't fall for such scams ..
Oh no sir, I haven't been cheated till date on such occasions.
On the oil required for all my vehicles, I am very much clear with the requirements.
PS- My car has run 61k till date with oil changes done strictly as per schedule, haven't used an engine flush till now.
Apologies for going OT.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 16th December 2019 at 10:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks