Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2019, 10:06   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Shell pump fraud alert - Misleadingly showing low engine oil level

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Did they use the engine oil meant for Scooters?
From what I have seen at my Shell station, their free oil change facility is pretty good. Their oil stock is genuine, though sold on MRP. They have the filters for most of the popular cars, but not for all models. It is better to take the oil filter with us. The oil has to be purchased there, otherwise we can't use the facility.

But the knowledge of the attendants and the mechanic who does the oil change, about the oils is not very good. We should know our oils if we go there. I have seen them sell Helix Ultra meant for cars to bike owners. To be fair, it is the bike owners who insisted on it though the fellow at the counter offered the bike specific Helix Ultra. But they just gave the oil he asked for, and did not know the ill effects it will cause to the bike. I have warned such customers whenever I was present during such transactions, and made them buy bike specific oils.

Last edited by Gansan : 16th December 2019 at 10:08.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:11   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
From what I have seen at my Shell station, their free oil change facility is pretty good. Their oil stock is genuine, though sold on MRP. They have the filters for most of the popular cars, but not for all models. It is better to take the oil filter with us. The oil has to be purchased there, otherwise we can't use the facility.
Another point to add, have always seen them stack lube/coolant cans outside and in some cases under direct sunlight, I believe this is not the correct way to store lubricants.
Old 16th December 2019, 10:52   #48
Senior - BHPian

I was on my way to Mumbai and was getting my car filled at Hinjewadi shell petrol pump( I always do here ). They start by asking if we want to top up windshield washer fluid, once the bonnet is open they go ahead and pull dipstick without our permission and of course for a HOT car, the level is bound to show low.

I was told that engine will seize and oil level is low.( Car was serviced just a month ago ).
With the confidence that there was no oil leak, I decided to check oil level when I reached home in Mumbai ( Keeping an eye on temperature gauge ), and it was absolutely fine when car was cold.

This was done again and this time I strictly told them not to open car bonnet.
Next time they ask me, I will ensure I report this to Outlet Manager.

Last edited by silverado : 16th December 2019 at 10:58.
silverado is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 11:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Oh no sir, I haven't been cheated till date on such occasions.
On the oil required for all my vehicles, I am very much clear with the requirements.
PS- My car has run 61k till date with oil changes done strictly as per schedule, haven't used an engine flush till now.
Apologies for going OT.
Sorry sir, I was addressing the OP and replied to your post by accident.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2019, 15:00   #50
ike
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinquecento500 View Post
Hi
Have now complained to shell local manager and will write to the mail id given on their website. Anything else I can do ?
Did Shell address this to your satisfaction? I hope they have responded and the matter is being taken care of if not settled already.
Old 19th December 2019, 09:15   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ike View Post
Did Shell address this to your satisfaction? I hope they have responded and the matter is being taken care of if not settled already.
Settled. Their regional manager called and refunded the charges. But dont know how they are addressing the wider mis-selling issue
Cinquecento500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2019, 14:55   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
- but the reason the cheating worked comes from your not knowing about oil, when to change it or how / when to flush an engine. .
No sir, I am very well aware of these. Since the oil level was misleadingly low & I was in a hurry, I fell for it. I did tell them then the oil was changed recently, but just got a bit carried away and agreed due to panic attack on seeing low level of oil.
Old 15th January 2020, 08:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I will ensure I report this to Outlet Manager.
And they did today, Modus operandi was same.
"Sir do you have to check water and Oil"

I almost had an argument with them over this.
Since I was in hurry for office didn't argue but I told them I am calling customer care.

Last edited by silverado : 15th January 2020 at 08:41.

Most Viewed