Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2021, 16:37   #76
BHPian

Re: Beware: New type of Scam/Con in Bangalore

This type of scam is even present in Hyderabad as well though I was on my two-wheeler. One guy always comes near me and asks me to drop nearby, which I always refuse to do so stating that it's a scam done by these people.

And, one more scam which I had encountered was the bumper repair or fixing scam, which had happened in December 2020. Whenever I stop my car, two people on an Activa come with some toolbox and ask me that, "Shall I fix the bumper as the bumper is coming out?" I politely refused their offer by seeing their intentions and knowing that it was a scam they are trying to do on me and luckily, I had escaped from them for around 2-3 times by saying that, I'll get the bumper fixed by myself and these two con-men were on an Activa, which was KA registered.

A few days ago, similar incident had happened when I was getting the number plates fixed on my car and during the fixing of number plates, the number plate fitting guy had called me and told me that there are two people sitting on the Activa were calling me and I just went near them and asked, what do you want? They told me that, I'm willing to fix the bumper, which is falling off, and just by seeing their intentions, I simply said no by saying that, I'll get the bumper fixed myself, to which they had accepted and fled away from the spot.
Old 17th January 2022, 16:05   #77
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all who have shared their experiences, helps the rest of us to stay alert.

[1] People, especially with a small child, asking "Hindi maloom?" - the first time I saw this was in a much smaller town almost 20 years back. They said they came from a village in North India, lost all bags, had not eaten for a few days, needed money.
Can remember seeing "Hindi maloom?" people in other States also, and still run into them once in a while.

[2] In a popular temple in the heart of Bangalore, a well-dressed middle-aged man came over as I was parking my bike. He spoke in English, and very soon asked for Rs 300 and my address, saying he will return the amount within a week. This was hardly a year back.

3] One evening about 5 years back : there were a lot of very-slow-moving vehicles. Two young men were standing on either side of the carriageway. The communication between them was just through looks and nods. They saw a SUV which was a little ahead of me, and nodded to each other. The man on the left side of the carriageway went near the SUV, shook it holding the rear bumper so as to create a doubt in the driver's mind whether he had run over someone;s leg. The man on the right immediately approached the SUV driver aggressively. Many of the other riders and drivers saw exactly what happened, and they shouted at the two men. Both immediately took off.
Not sure whether their intention was to extort money or to steal from the car. Not seen this kind of people in recent times.
adisan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 02:20   #78

This is the first time I'm posting on TeamBHP. I'm writing this to let you know that I faced a scary situation today on 18th Cross Road, HSR Layout, Bangalore.

I'm from Nagpur and I've newly moved to Bangalore with my wife and I decided to take my scooter to work today. My office is just 2 km from my rented apartment here. My scooter bears an MH31 registration number and on since many online resources pointed out that using a vehile registered in a different state is allowed for one year in Karnataka.

Coming back to today evening, when I left from work, I was on the 18th cross road, riding my scooter alone. Suddenly a guy in his 30s appears on his scooter and speaks something in Kannada. I'm all for learning the language of the land, but this is still very early for me to understand. I tell him I can't understand a word. He asks me to stop the scooter on the side. This is at 8:30 PM on a road with moving traffic.

He claims that I hit him and drove away. I tell him I haven't. I was riding at 30-40 kmph. He insists that I have. Shows me some damage to his scooter. Calls someone from his phone. Keeps telling me how this will cost him 1500-2000 rupees. Says something about my scooter and myself being from a different state. Fearing something untoward and unfortunate, I decided to pay ₹600 to the guy. He asks for another ₹200. I give it to him.

The reason why I decided to post this here is because being new in the city, and living with just my wife, I couldn't really tell her, as she might be stressed out. Reading this forum gave me a bit of comfort, and so did writing this.

I wish I had read about this earlier. If anybody knows, would love to hear how one can deal with such a situation? Is calling the cops a good idea when you're from a different state and do not know the local language? I'm not very well built physically, and as much as possible, try to avoid altercations, but there has to be a way.

Would appreciate some responses here. Thanks in advance.
swaroopbhartiya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 07:10   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaroopbhartiya View Post
He claims that I hit him and drove away. I tell him I haven't. I was riding at 30-40 kmph. He insists that I have. Shows me some damage to his scooter. Calls someone from his phone. Keeps telling me how this will cost him 1500-2000 rupees. Says something about my scooter and myself being from a different state.
All kinds of allegations can be put by one, but they can't stand 1 min of cross questioning.
The trick is, don't be scared and ask cross questions. When it happened, where it happened, which part of your vehicle touched that vehicle, was there a sound, why nobody noticed. Then threaten this person that you will go to the nearest police station and lodge a complaint against him for cheating. If he is willing to go, tell him that you do not want to go along with him and call the police instead to the spot.

Please note: Allegations mean nothing. There is always an evidence. Things that you can consider as evidence.
The situation. How can that part of your vehicle strike the said part on his vehicle.
The physical evidence. When there is such an accident, your vehicle will have some paint of that vehicle and vice versa. You want compensation too.
Witnesses.
Cctv of that area.
On proper investigation, police can make out the background of this person. What he does for a living, where was he coming from, where he was going etc.

Some of these guys intentionally hit your vehicle with theirs and ask for compensation. Now, you know the drill, what to do.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 07:40   #80
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Very sad. Not at all a nice welcome to this city and particularly to this area.
This is a clear case of a typical con job by a miscreant. Taking advantage of a young newcomer. Sadly there isnt much you can do when faced with these circumstances unless you shout and attract attention etc. Or run into a brightly lit shop and ask for help.
But hang on. Dont get bullied.
If it is possible at all, try to do all your chores and purchases in the broad daylight hours at well known stores only.
Try not to go out after dark or in twilight.
Dont go out on your own as far as possible.
If at all you need to go further afield for shopping and all that just use an Uber.
Even for local visits its best to mask up, wear a cap, carry a stick and walk.
Keep a good quality bag for purchases. And take an Uber or Ola Auto back home.
And buy a Kannada phrase book. One way of getting around is to greet people in local shops etc by saying ‘Namaskara Swamy’ which is a simple greeting and when they start speaking to you politely say‘Kannada Swalpa Gotthu’ meaning I know only very little Kannada.
Keep your tone neutral and even and body language neutral too.
You will be surprised how many people instantly warm up when they see youre making an effort to speak the language. (This applies anywhere in the world as per my experience.)
But as far as possible do not get into situations on your own in the twilight and dark.
Its a good idea to apply for and re register your vehicle in case you are planning a long stint here. Else sell it in MH and buy a new one here.

Quote:
This is the first time I'm posting on TeamBHP. I'm writing this to let you know that I faced a scary situation today on 18th Cross Road, HSR Layout, Bangalore.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 7th July 2022 at 07:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 10:00   #81
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is calling the cops a good idea when you're from a different state and do not know the local language?
Yes is it. Tell the accusing party/scamster you are more than willing to go to the nearest police station with them, or if you see a traffic cop nearby, go to them. Some of our Bangalore cops are corrupt and dishonest yes, but they will certainly not be a party to this sort of low-level extortion. As soon as they see you are ready to go to the cops, the aggressive party will back off and disappear at once.

There is nothing to be scared or ashamed of here. Living in Bangalore and being from another state, not knowing how to speak in Kannada, is not a crime! And don't stress too much about this incident, just take it as a life's learning, that's all.

Don't let it hamper your free movement at all, even after dark.

Last edited by am1m : 7th July 2022 at 10:01.
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2022, 11:14   #82

Quote:
I wish I had read about this earlier. If anybody knows, would love to hear how one can deal with such a situation? Is calling the cops a good idea when you're from a different state and do not know the local language? I'm not very well built physically, and as much as possible, try to avoid altercations, but there has to be a way.

It's sad you had to go through this. I am from Nagpur as well and been living in Bangalore for almost 5 years now. Staying with family, I have found Bangalore and its people to be accepting to new comers. I drive Mh31 myself and haven't had 1 bad incident on bike or car either by cops or local people.

I would suggest not to get dejected as this can happen in any city honestly. There are such people everywhere who feed on intimidation. Just be on the right side of the law, vigilant and think of this as one-off incident. There is a large Maharashtrian community here in Bangalore (a lot of people from Nagpur as well), so in case you need any help, you will get it.
niks4568 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks