Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2019, 14:02   #1
Senior - BHPian

Beware: New type of Scam/Con in Bangalore

This is an incident that happened to me this Monday.

I was on my way to a client meeting. I stopped at the traffic signal at Sony World Junction in Koramangala.
A stranger approached the driver side window and asked "Do I stay in <apartment complex>?"
I said Yes. He mentioned he also stays there, he had hit a car at the signal and the cops have impounded it and asked for a drop till the Koramangala Police station. I had never seen this person before.
Since I was turning right at the signal, I mentioned I am taking a right at the signal.
He changed tune and asked if I can drop him off at the signal.
The signal was less than 100M away. I suspected something wrong, I said Sorry I have a call to make. Then he mentioned his phone has been damaged and has forgot his wallet at home, could he borrow Rs 300 to get his car back from Police. He mentioned you can call apartment security and ask for his name, everyone knows him there. I mentioned I don't have my wallet with me and do not carry cash on me.
Luckily by that time, signal turned green and I moved away from there.

I checked with my apartment security next day, they mentioned no one lives by that name in the complex. Also a quick check on MyGate App showed a different owner/tenant living at the apartment number.
My suspicion were confirmed about this person.

- Reviewed the dashcam footage, I could notice him standing beside at the road side and taking a good look at the car windshield before approaching me.
- He wanted to get inside the car badly, but I kept on asking questions and did not unlock the doors
- He started with Hindi then switched to broken English and fluent Kannada

Please be careful, you never know what new schemes and cons these people think of next. Always keep your car locked with windows up at the signal and avoid any conversation with strangers.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th June 2019 at 16:35. Reason: Removing duplicate phrase :)
speedmiester is offline   (154) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:16   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Beware: New type of Scam/Con in Bangalore

Very relevant for us Bangaloreans, as a thumb rule, I simply do not converse with the world outside when driving, people can yell and scream all they want about punctures or engine bay smoke, I ain't biting.

After Dillis jugaadu scams, Bangalore's adjesht maadi scams are quickly taking 2nd place. It's a bad world people, no one cares about anything other than money. Keep safe and be a pariah rather than trying to be kind and quickly becoming a fool who parts with money or his/her very self.
dark.knight is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 14:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
This is an incident that happened to me this Monday.

I was on my way to a client meeting on Monday. I stopped at the traffic signal at Sony World Junction in Koramangala.
A stranger approached the driver side window
I had similar incident on 1st June in Koramangala 3rd block, 8th main (Satya's garden road). I was waiting at signal to join sarjapur road, one lanky fellow knocks on the window, as always all doors of car were locked & windows rolled up. I declined to lower windows, he showed his frustration and moved ahead to next car asking for something.
I felt bit guilty of ignoring him and lowered my window, by this time car ahead of me had also ignored this person and he came back to my car.
He asked me for 300 rs saying he lost his mobile & wallet, it didn't sound genuine to me and I said sorry i can't help at this point. By this time signal also turned green & I moved on.
I wouldn't know for sure if he was a con artist or a genuinely in trouble, but there are few things which raise suspicion - one could always take an auto, go home & get money from home. Even if one is from another town, people usually have at least one contact in Bangalore, where they can go.

Well, at times you wonder what this world has come to. We can't trust a person who claims to be in need, nor help out unknowns without thinking you are being cheated
Acharya is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 15:02   #4
Senior - BHPian

I try to reduce any sort of identification stickers which might help such conmen, but apartment sticker is mandatory in cars.
This also holds good to company, club stickers as well.
Better be careful and avoid any conversation with strangers.
speedmiester is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 15:07   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acharya View Post
Well, at times you wonder what this world has come to. We can't trust a person who claims to be in need, nor help out unknowns without thinking you are being cheated
Agree. I shudder to think what will happen IF a road accident occurs (especially in unfamiliar/outstation locations) and a Good Samaritan declines to stop when I hail him/her down to ask for urgent help.
itwasntme is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 15:25   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
apartment sticker is mandatory in cars.
I never stick it to the windshield.I always use a clingfilm against the adhesive surface and then stick a hard cardboard against the back. This way I can prop it up against the windshield when entering & parking but take it off and store safely when driving. Paranoid much - sign of the times we live in.
procrj is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 15:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I try to reduce any sort of identification stickers which might help such conmen, but apartment sticker is mandatory in cars.
This is why I’m strictly against pasting any kind of apartment or workplace stickers on my car or motorcycle.

Even got my apartment to change the sticker reluctantly to not mention name of the apartment and only a logo which I’m still not comfortable with.

With really crazy people on our roads who will do anything on trigger of a minor incident or road rage, I don’t want to broadcast where I live or work to them so they can follow me there.
Yieldway17 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 20:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

Its a crazy world out there. As a rule of thumb, do not let anyone into your car.
I know cases where so called hapless females ask for a short lift saying their car is not working or lost phone etc etc and then tear their clothes once inside the car and extort money. Happened to someone I know, luckily I was in the car behind him and when it happened I asked the female to come to the hospital to get her medical done. She backtracked and left but I can understand how an unsuspecting person can get screwed.
bigron is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 22:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Can you post the video from your dashcam? As a rule, I never have any identifying stickers on my cars, I keep all my stickers hidden when I am entering work or home I place the sticker near the windshield.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 23:56   #10
BHPian

Few years ago in Mumbai I was stopped by 3 women at Bandra Link Road signal. They claimed that an old lady had passed away in their locality and they are asking for donations to do her last rites. I had noticed people giving them money from the cars ahead of us. My uncle who is an NRI immediately offered to take care of all the expense of the funeral and asked the ladies to take us to their area. Within seconds these 3 ladies walked away from our car while uttering curses in marathi.
Akib Khan is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 01:45   #11

A strange incident happened to me on 21st Sept 2016 while travelling back home. I was in traffic near Hope Farm signal. A stranger (decent looking man) arrived from nowhere and told that he had seen me many times and that he is handling the facilities dept. in my company. He requested a lift as his vehicle met with an accident nearby and police seized the vehicle. He told me his 5 digit employee id to further convince me. I agreed to offer him a lift. When he got into my car, he told bit about his role and floor he sits in. He then diverted the topic to his situation and that he left his wallet at home. He requested and pleaded for some monetary help. He promised me that he will return back the money next day at office. Initially I disagreed to lend him any money. But then he kept pleading again and again. He told, I can withdraw from ATM and give the money in case if I don't have cash. I was in hurry and had to rush off, so quickly took his number and handed over Rs 300/-. Next day, I called him and his number was forwarded to an invalid number. I had a doubt and went to the Facilities department in my company. I inquired about him and no body had any clue. I messaged him but no reply. I think this a new method to trap people and cheat in the name of asking for help.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th June 2019 at 10:54. Reason: Typo
Nibir Mudai is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 06:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Can you post the video from your dashcam? As a rule, I never have any identifying stickers on my cars, I keep all my stickers hidden when I am entering work or home I place the sticker near the windshield.
I don't want to upload the dash cam video as the footage has overlapped phone call conversation with my wife just before the incident.

Will share the screenshot of the person if required.
speedmiester is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:14   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Will share the screenshot of the person if required.
Please do.

If you have ffmpeg (or a similar application) on a computer, you can extract video only from a file. The audio will be blank.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th June 2019 at 16:30. Reason: Removing additional blank space :)
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:32   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Its a crazy world out there. As a rule of thumb, do not let anyone into your car.
I know cases where so called hapless females ask for a short lift saying their car is not working or lost phone etc etc and then tear their clothes once inside the car and extort money. Happened to someone I know, luckily I was in the car behind him and when it happened I asked the female to come to the hospital to get her medical done. She backtracked and left but I can understand how an unsuspecting person can get screwed.
My dashcam also records the passengers, I would look forward to calling her bluff if this would happen!
ajmat is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th June 2019, 10:45   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Every time I think about giving a lift to someone on the road when we're in the car, stories like this make me think twice. I do however give lifts to people when I'm on the bike. I guess the riding experience in Bangalore traffic is scary enough for any potential scammer to think about anything else while riding pillion!
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed