Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2019, 12:59   #16
BHPian

re: Don’t know how to drive a manual car? No licence for you, says RTO

RTO must up their game in issuing licensing emulating global standards, instead, they are so hell bent in focusing their time and energy on administrative loopholes like these to earn a quick buck, one can ask them to quote CMVR as is today to understand clause which makes the distinction in cars in terms of transmission.

Affected applicants are highly recommended to use PG portal to register grievances.
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 12:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

My wife has a 2-wheeler license but only for non-geared ones a.k.a automatics. Can't we have something similar for cars as well? Or is it tougher to implement for cars compared to 2-wheelers?

She is now learning to drive a 4-wheeler from a school and is about to face the test next week. Am not letting her touch the automatic only because of this fear of failing the test as there it will be all manual. I believe its high time government should implement automatic license for cars as well.

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th June 2019 at 13:02.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 13:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
.... In comparison, a manual only skilled person driving an automatic can cause serious accident by unintentionally engaging brake instead of clutch while cruising.
If he doesn't know which feet to rest where; he is not fit for a license...!
thirumalkumaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 14:08   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadya View Post
A person with automatic only skill is less likely(not unlikely) to cause an accident as they would be stalling the car in low speed. In comparison, a manual only skilled person driving an automatic can cause serious accident by unintentionally engaging brake instead of clutch while cruising.
Respectfully disagree. Many members on this very thread say they would think twice of going back to an MT cause it would be difficult to adapt as they are used to driving an AT.
On the other hand, people who drive MT on a regular basis find it pretty easy to drive an AT (including me) as it takes just a few hundred metres to know how the engine responds to A-inputs. And they would get a shock of their lifetime if they use their left legs for brakes in those initial hundred metres itself.
As said by another member, if you don't know which leg to use where, you don't deserve to drive!
abhi7013 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:36   #20
Senior - BHPian

What a backward move What about the disabled? They shouldn't drive if they can't operate an MT?

There are two ways out- one of them need to be implemented:
1. A restricted license like in two-wheelers.
2. Having one license and putting the responsibility and liability (like in the US) on the user. This may be tough to enforce in legal battles/insurance claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
I would love an automatic, but it's my understanding .........most mass-market automatics aren't really reliable in Indian vehicles yet. Is that correct? Or old news?
No buddy, for the most part- most mass-market cars have reliable ATs.
AMT is not proven technology, but fingers crossed. I hope it should suffer any issues as it is mechanically simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
What other advanced countries do is have a separate category for automatic only
I read somewhere that UK gives you a restricted license for ATs. I might be wrong though.
landcruiser123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
What a backward move What about the disabled? They shouldn't drive if they can't operate an MT?

I read somewhere that UK gives you a restricted license for ATs. I might be wrong though.
Correct, you have a separate category for automatic only!
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 16:29   #22
BHPian

Given the fact most vehicles plying today are Manual, the criteria is holding I guess. Same time, it is unfair to deny license because they only know Automatic. There must be a separate category for that because driving is not just about transmission. I know a BHPian who lived in US and came back to India. He doesn't know manual and manages everything in Automatic (including cross country drives). No doubt he drives safe, follows proper rules and I don't see any point to deny him a license as long as he drives an Automatic.

On the other hand, our driving tests badly need upgrade. We still have the age old "8". We need more rigorous tests such as verifying if the driver is able to park, reverse, pull from incline, follows traffic rules. Take him to a tricky signal and see if he picks up the rules correctly, exhibits lane discipline, respects speed limits, uses proper turn indications, observes rear view mirrors on a regular basis especially while changing lanes. I repeat again, driving tests should not be just about transmission or making an "8".

Last edited by Thermodynamics : 7th June 2019 at 16:44.
Thermodynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 16:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

I agree with the rule - RTOs should only issue the DL if one knows how to drive a manual transmission car.

Just imagine the scenario where RTOs start to offer DLs for those who only know how to drive an AT - some of them would be trying their hands at driving a manual car and they would make everyone's life on road miserable! Even with the current scenario, the biggest challenge for a major share of Indian drivers is the gear lever. They don't know how to properly shift - this translates into snail like pace and near zero acceleration from traffic lights, highly risky overtaking maneuvers (less acceleration and more time to pass the vehicle), reduced fuel efficiency (there are people who never use 5th gear or 6th gear), lack of steering control during a gearshift and so on.

As long as there's only one type of LMV license issued, every applicant must learn how to drive a manual car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermodynamics View Post
On the other hand, our driving tests badly need upgrade.
Not just the driving tests, but the driving schools as well. The instructors teach you how to operate the A-B-C pedals, gear lever and steering, and that's that. I have seen instructors making student drivers commit all sorts of mistakes on the road - like driving through the line, overtaking through the left etc. They just teach them to aim the car in the general direction they want to go, and just drive.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th June 2019 at 16:49.
clevermax is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 16:48   #24
BHPian

I support the governments decision on "License only if Manual is Driven" policy.
We in this country already lag a lot behind in driving etiquittes compared to developed countries, and AT only clearance will make the criteria more lethargic.

On the other hand would recommend to make the test criteria more tougher to handle the urban traffic, lane change, panic stop, hazard detection etc...
Old 7th June 2019, 17:04   #25
BANNED

In the UK you can a license on an AT, but that restricts you only to AT cars. On the other hand a manual license allows you to drive both MT and AT. Simple, but effective.

Remember one can argue that AT has its own set of issues, but it is so.
sgiitk is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 18:26   #26
Senior - BHPian

The RTO's should make the driving tests more stringent before issuing DL, there is too much of lenience for female applicants while appearing for test. I forced my wife to learn driving with a MT vehicle (New Alto 800 and Old Santro) for 2 months and then took her to test. I wanted her to get a feel of driving a new car and old car. After she got a DL, I took her out to teach to drive a Clutch less car. She can now drive both MT and AT vehicles. As sgiitk mentioned, an existing DL can be upgraded in either of the case.

Last edited by deehunk : 7th June 2019 at 18:35.
deehunk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 20:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Not a great idea. As others mentioned, i have the same opinion of adding different categories for Manual and Automatic, just like what we have for our two wheeler's driving license.

I have seen an experienced driver to bang a Honda City AT straight into the wall while trying to park it.
On the other hand, he regularly drives a Swift manual and has a pretty clean record.

Without proper knowledge/experience shifting from an automatic to manual or vice-versa can be risky.
Samba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 22:19   #28
BHPian

Absolutely disagree with the rule. Why should a person who is just not interested in MT cars and never intends to own or drive one be denied an DL? If countries like US (where both types of cars are sold) does not have such a restriction then why in India? The sooner this rule is revoked the better. As long as the driver demonstrates total control a four wheeler , he or she should be granted a licence irrespective of whether its a AT or MT,
thehighwayman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 00:29   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
I have seen an experienced driver to bang a Honda City AT straight into the wall while trying to park it.
On the other hand, he regularly drives a Swift manual and has a pretty clean record.

Without proper knowledge/experience shifting from an automatic to manual or vice-versa can be risky.
No this cannot be true, as per the feedback from members a person with MT experience can easily drive an AT. This incident doesn't obey the Newton law of enthusiast.

Jokes apart I agree on the point that it is not a thumb rule that a person driving a MT car can drive an AT car without any issues.

Last edited by roby_dk : 8th June 2019 at 00:32.
roby_dk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2019, 08:29   #30
BHPian

AT (for MT) : unlearn.
MT (for AT) : not sure what to do.

This policy is targeting people who will have to look up a dictionary to know what a ‘clutch’ is. They should make two licenses, but in India this will hold no value. Since rental culture is minimal anyways. MT is more of muscle memory which takes adaption (read: learning), where as AT is more of rote instructional. This comparison is just for the mechanical portion of driving. Road sense, ethics, and mannerisms hold true for both.
asingh1977 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed