Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2019, 01:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Don’t know how to drive a manual car? No licence for you, says RTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
In other words, controlling the gearshift is a small part of the whole driving package. If someone is an experienced AT driver, figuring out the MT gearshift is not rocket science.....
I think this is not true in most cases where the driver is not an enthusiast. Many people in the US just slot into D and press harder in the A pedal to pass. I'm guessing it's the same in India also. You've to remember that we're a bunch of enthusiasts debating on the forum, but most people out there don't care about the mechanical aspects of what car they drive.

They can control the car if necessary, but driving includes- accelerating in the situation too. If they don't drop a gear, the car isn't going to disappear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoghchaphalkar View Post

The operative word in your post is advanced.

I do not think we are there yet. There is plenty of potential for the "automatic only" license rule to be abused. In my opinion, learning to drive MT prepares you for a higher set of driving skills since it requires better coordination, motor skills.....
I think we were in that situation 10 years ago and would have agreed with you then. The times have changed rapidly- with a boom of AT options, most people don't want to drive MTs anymore. Why should a person be denied a license because he doesn't want to drive a manual transmission car?

Having a separate license category ensures that people can't escape the law in accidents or any property damage cases. For example, if someone holds an AT only license and hits a compound wall while driving an MT car, the insurance company can wash their hands off and put the full liability on the owner for driving a car they aren't allowed to drive.

If they made a system like in the US where you can drive any transmission with just one drivers license (no categories) and I'm afraid people might find loopholes in the law to escape the case I just wrote.

I agree that there will be a lot people breaking the law, but that's the nature of people in our country.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 11th June 2019 at 01:38.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 01:39   #47
Senior - BHPian

I am for this rule, till the time there is no separate option in the license for automatic cars. Having a blanket license for 4 wheelers is dangerous in the hands of drivers who has driven or specifically learnt in automatic cars.

If you know how to drive an MT, accustoming to AT is not hard. However if you have only driven AT suddenly driving an MT is disastrous in my opinion. Most newbie I have spoken to or seen, when driving an MT are confused of the gear and clutch. So many times I am seen they take their eyes of the road to look at the gear to ensure they slotted into the right one. Most even stay on one gear so that they dont have to change.

Last edited by Altocumulus : 11th June 2019 at 01:47.
Old 11th June 2019, 04:28   #48
BHPian

I can understand many wanting AT and MT categorization. However, in a country like India, what stops someone from not bothering about getting a upgrade to MT category license when they buy a car with Manual Transmission in the future? When there is a lack of self discipline in the society, I think such categorization does not make sense. Any catogorization will only increase the burden on an already stretched law enforcement.
Old 11th June 2019, 07:45   #49
BHPian

I don't understand how people here are saying that one can forget how to drive a manual car if he/she has only been driving automatics for long. Not having the confidence to drive a manual anymore and forgetting how to drive a manual completely are two different things.

I remember sitting behind the wheel of a manual after 5 whole years of driving an automatic. It just took me 5-10 minutes to adjust and I was back to driving a manual like any normal person would. Had fun in it as well.

That being said, if driving a car from the start is in question, surely the RTO should issue two separate licenses for each transmission and leave the choice to the people.
Starfire is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 10:29   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

There are quite a few countries that do differentiate between an AT and MT drivers license. Here in the Netherlands we have been doing so for as long as I remember.

If you have an AT DL you will have been taught (driving lessons are madatory for all DLs) on a AT car only. You will have passed your DL test in an AT car. You can only drive an AT car.

If you have a MT DL, everything will be done on a MT car. However, you are allowed to drive both MT and AT cars.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 12:22   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
If you have an AT DL you will have been taught (driving lessons are madatory for all DLs) on a AT car only. You will have passed your DL test in an AT car. You can only drive an AT car.
I totally agree with this rule and this sound logical too. In most of the cases AT DL guys will not be interested in driving MT cars and MT guys will get access to both worlds.
Old 11th June 2019, 15:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Just like 2 wheeler license has 2 categories - with gear and without gear, why can't they introduce 2 categories in 4 wheeler license also (MT and AT) ?

Rohan
Perhaps one'd say, while optically it is easier to distinguish between a gear and gearless scooter or bike, often, the same make of car offers both manual and AT.

Further, the scale of damages with a car involved in an accident is significantly higher than a bike. So it is important to put significant deterrants in place before one can lay their hands on a car driving license.

I'd like to think this is one way to discourage more wannabe car drivers coming on roads (laying additional claims for precious little road bandwidth), pushing them towards adopting public transport. It is an achievement even if they deter 10% from turning into drivers because of this new rule.

Last edited by bhaskaracs : 11th June 2019 at 15:33.
Old 12th June 2019, 08:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

I see many comments here mentioning that if someone drives an AT long enough he/she 'forgets' how to drive a MT.
I drove MTs in Kuwait - 5 years.
I drove ATs in Saudi - 11 years.
Back in India I am driving MTs - 11 years.
Once you learn driving MT and used to it, it just doesn't vanish. It comes back like a flash. Learning on an AT car initially is fine, it lets one to learn other aspects like road sense, acceleration and braking sense, 160 degree observation in front, etc. Afterwards, driving an MT only needs some additional practice before getting used to it.
This is purely my personal opinion and observation.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 12th June 2019 at 08:46.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2019, 12:47   #54
BHPian

Absolutely agree with the rule. A driver's license doesn't mean you might always drive the same type of car. If for some reason, you need to drive an MT, then it could be really risky! It is best to learn driving on the tougher transmission types and then always switch over to the more convenient options if required.
Old 12th June 2019, 12:52   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
Absolutely agree with the rule. A driver's license doesn't mean you might always drive the same type of car. If for some reason, you need to drive an MT, then it could be really risky! It is best to learn driving on the tougher transmission types and then always switch over to the more convenient options if required.
Many people will never drive a MT vehicle in their life. Instead of making it hard for those people to learn driving cars and getting license, creating a separate AT category just like for 2 wheelers is the solution.

Who are we to say those people don’t deserve to driving cars albeit it’s AT? I have a real example in my family itself where one person doesn’t want to learn driving with MT again because of bitter experience with it in their first set of driving classes. Why we have to deny them the freedom of driving cars thinking about some hypothetical scenario of driving MT car in some unknown situation.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 12th June 2019 at 12:56.
Old 13th August 2023, 07:52   #56
BHPian

Came across a related update. A separate driving licence can now be obtained for those who desire to operate automatic/gearless cars instead of traditional geared cars......

Read more at: https://english.mathrubhumi.com/news...cars-1.8814428
Also, in the recent update to the rules, automatic/ electric cars are allowed for the driving tests. Details in the link below.

Last edited by vinjosep : 13th August 2023 at 07:56.
Old 13th August 2023, 08:28   #57
Senior - BHPian

The penetration of automatics is steadfast and even my son and daughter are more comfy with automatics: they may have driven a manual for license but there after they have all been driving automatics. I have been driving manual from 1988 till 2017 after that I'm more comfortable with an automatic! Automatics spoil you I may use a manual for fun but for comfort and day to day use, I prefer automatics with the way the traffics and roads are in the urban environment.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 13th August 2023 at 08:31.

Most Viewed