Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2019, 08:36   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Noida extortion racket busted - Fake rape case by women asking for a lift

Coming fresh of the thread on conmen-on-the-streets requesting 300-400 Rs, this is a sad turn to something I used to happily engage in - giving and taking lifts.

Quote:
According to police, the two women would spot cars being driven by young men and ask for a lift in the area around Mahamaya Flyover. The woman would ask to stop the car where a PCR van would be parked, near Sector 44 police booth. The woman would get out of the car and complain to police personnel that she had been raped. The fake complaint would then be used by the other accused to blackmail the vehicle owner.

The policemen and the accused had a fixed modus operandi. Once the driver would enter the booth, some accused would appear on behalf of the woman and demand action. An accused, Harishankar, would appear as a lawyer. He did not have any license. Another accused, Deshraj Awana, referred to himself as the ‘Chairman’, and he would ask the driver to reach a compromise and avoid an FIR,” said Krishna.
Source

Source

But good to see the police acting fast on this basis complaints given by 3 people. They are also checking if the cops involved in this had a similar nexus in their earlier postings.

@Mods, kindly merge this with any of the existing threads if suitable.

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th June 2019 at 16:01. Reason: Linking to thread you refer to :)
ninjatalli is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 10:32   #2
BHPian

re: Noida extortion racket busted - Fake rape case by women asking for a lift

This kind of racket is nothing new at least in Madras. Several years ago, shady women would ask for lift in the VSNL road off Napier's Bridge and then after a few hundred meters scream. Two wheeler riders who are cohorts in this will stop the car and extort money.
Mostly susceptible young men would be their prime target and this road was chosen as it was mostly deserted at that time.

Looks like even men are not safe.
Prowler is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I have never been comfortable giving lifts to anyone when I am in car.
I have given many lifts while on bike, but the closed environment of car gives me jitters - you never know when the "liftee" sticks a knife to your throat ...

The only exception I have done is for small school kids.
alpha1 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 11:48   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
I find that just as risky; if people can stoop to a level where they take lifts and then accuse the driver of rape, who's to say, the same people won't use children as pawns and scream abduction.

I know, sounds very paranoid but rather safe than sorry, especially in today's times. It was much simpler many years ago. Plus, I don't want to take responsibility of a stranger's child, especially when the parent isn't aware.
libranof1987 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 12:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I never give lifts to anyone, during my Delhi days, My cab driver once narrated a story on how an old man stuck a knife to his armpit and asked for money. From that day I never give lifts to anyone unknown in my car, however after coming to the land of hartals I offer ride to people stranded in the middle of the road only if I am on a bike.

I have a rather strange story to narrate. It was back in 2006 December, when I and my wife were on a drive near the embassy roads, I was at Kutaliya Marg and I took a left to Nyaya Marg, the road was deserted, it was cold and it was dark at around 9 pm, there was not even a singe vehicle on the road and usually that road is not taken by anyone, there was a small bus shelter and in that bus shelter was a little girl who was dressed up in a white frock, her dressing showed that she was from a well to do family. Seeing her there, I started thinking, I wanted to stop but some part of me told me to continue driving,

I just casually asked my wife if she saw the girl and she said she did. I asked her if we should turn back and check, my wife said we should not, Some part of me stayed back with that little girl, I always used to curse myself for not stopping and checking, I could still very vividly remember her lifting her head and looking at the car, I used to repent, till recently when I heard that's a common occurrence especially in the ridge road area. Finally I have a closure today when I hear people can actually stoop down to any level to make a quick buck. God save the county.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 14th June 2019, 13:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

These situations are so worrying!

I have heard that there are places where people will purposely get hit by your car on slowish junctions and then the crowd typically will extort you (have seen a few crowd extortions and the Mob mentality is not pretty, especially in semi urban india).

Such scams will leave genuine drivers to leave the spot fearing mob justice and later risk hit and run.
2000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2019, 08:40   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Noida extortion racket busted - Fake rape case by women asking for a lift

I think this scam might've come to Maharashtra as well. Yesterday morning at about 1130 am, I spotted a young lady (~25 years old) asking for a lift on the Mumbai-Pune expressway!! It was literally in the middle of nowhere as there was no village nearby, nor an exit or a broken car. I didn't even think of stopping. As a rule, I don't give lifts to strangers. The crime scene in India is too bad...letting an unknown person in your car is just asking for trouble.
GTO is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 10:48   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post

I just casually asked my wife if she saw the girl and she said she did. I asked her if we should turn back and check, my wife said we should not, Some part of me stayed back with that little girl, I always used to curse myself for not stopping and checking, I could still very vividly remember her lifting her head and looking at the car, I used to repent, till recently when I heard that's a common occurrence especially in the ridge road area. Finally I have a closure today when I hear people can actually stoop down to any level to make a quick buck. God save the county.

Pramod
I have been in a similar boat as you. Iny college days, I used to rush to my bus stop on foot. Occasionally taking lifts from few people. To give it back to the 'society' I used to give lifts on my bike a couple of times. But slowly scenario started changing and I regularly used to come across similar incidents.

The incident: A little early morning 7 AM of October 2015, I was on my way to a picnic (was already running late) and a 60ish guy waved his hand for lift. As I was rushing, I didn't stop. All I could hear was him shouting in a pleading voice 'Arre Ruko' '(Please Stop'). It was rather early morning on an empty stretch of road, so before I could take an action, I was way far already due to my cruising speeds. I passed through that place in next 5 minutes as I realized I forgot something at home, but the guy was gone. Hope he reached wherever he wanted to.

I don't know if he meant well or could have meant harm on an early morning in an unsuspecting area and guise, I console myself for the latter. The tone of his shouting, trust me it haunts me sometimes even today when I pass through that road. People have a tendency to misuse privileges. From false MeToo cases, to taking advantages of lifts and such incidents shared above. It has become way too tough.

After that incident, that voice haunted me for a couple of weeks continuously, and I concluded that I will give lifts only to any elderly. But then, saw cases of elder people or people in guide of elder people robbing and mugging car and bike owners alike. I gave up that gentleman thought as well.

Incidents like these, and nice people get scared to act. Chivalry isn't dead, but is scared.

Last edited by PrasunBannerjee : 18th June 2019 at 10:51. Reason: Typos
PrasunBannerjee is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 11:05   #9
BHPian

I am not at all comfortable with having unknown people with me in the car. During my college days around 15 years back, I have taken lifts and traveled from Pune to Mumbai. I wouldn't dare take anyone in my car presently. Specially with the reports of robbers looting people in the outskirts of Pune. I have personally encountered the "your tire has less air" scam on the Dehu Road Bypass a couple of times. Better to be safe than sorry.
adi.mariner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 11:15   #10
BHPian

I have a confession : - I am a born cynic and I suffer from Paranoia. Even when I was in college, I never gave lift to girls in college. It continued to this day despite some tongue lashing from friends.

A long time ago, my friend's wife wanted to drop off an electronics gadget for repair to me when she was in Madras for a function. I was in Mount Road riding back to home when she chased me in an auto. She must have spotted me and being evening decided to stay with us and take the first bus back to her town nearby.

I collected the gadget and told her if I could help her to get a bus. She refused and told me that she will come with me. I made some excuse and left leaving her in the auto. She knew that it is not a big deal to stay overnight in my house with my wife and family. But I was not too keen to take that responsibility. Fortunately she reached her home without any issue and then told her husband the whole saga. I got an earful from my friend for leaving a young woman to her own device in the evening. I was ashamed of course. But then you can't change your basic behavior.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 12:17   #11
BHPian

Nearly 20 years ago, when I had just got my DL, and elderly man( looked like in his late 80s) sought a lift from me near my house. He wanted me to drop him to a particular house number in the same locality. I thought he is an elderly gentleman of my locality and I should help him. He sat in the car we proceeded to find the house number mentioned by him. Well that exact house number did not even exist, there being a government building in the row where that house number was supposed to be. Whereas I in a bona fide manner searched for the house to drop the old man, he feigned a heart attack. I was terrified. I stopped near a rikshaw and gave the rickshaw puller 50 bucks ( not a small amount in those days) and requested the rikshaw puller to drop the babaji ( old man ) to his desired location. Well all of a sudden the babaji was fit and fine like an Olympic athlete! He snatched the 50 buck note from the rickshaw puller and walked away briskly!. That was the first and last time I have given a lift.
jassi_jeeper is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 12:19   #12
BHPian

Telugu movie artist Mr. Uttej shared similar experience here in Hyderabad few years ago, according to him he was returning home late in the night after a shoot and saw a girl waving her hand, with a concern for her safety, he stopped his vehicle and the girl got into his car, couple of minutes later she demanded him money threatening him she will cry for help and put him in trouble for trying to rape her. He got scary and handed her some money, the girl took the cash and disappeared in the dark, then he went straight to a PS nearby and was told that it was nothing new in that area! So, this is nothing new for Hyderabad too, we never know how many people give in and never mention these incidents, specially when they are returning drunk from pubs/parties.

There are different kinds of people looking for a lift on the road, in the last 14 years of riding a bike in Hyderabad, have had couple of heart warming incidents, where I felt immense satisfaction after providing a lift. There are couple of regrets too, once a pan/pan masala chewing guy left few marks on my shirt (disgusting) and on the other occasion after leaving a guy at his destination he demanded for some money!

These days I am more careful and after an incident I am not comfortable even with friends riding pillion with me, specially female friends. On one occasion after having lunch with my friends at a restaurant, one of my female friends requested me to drop her at her home on my bike, I was going in a different direction but being a guy who never learnt to say 'no', I picked her up and within a kilometer a car came too close for her comfort, she panicked and decided to jump from the bike even though I was completely in control of the situation, and we were not even on a collision course, but she panicked, resulting in few bruises on her hand and a twisted ankle. A bruise left a mark on her hand and whenever I see that, I feel guilty, whenever people ask her about it, I feel guilty.
tchsvy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 12:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

I never give lifts to unknown people asking for it. However there have been numerous occasions where I have offered lift to elderly couples or gentlemen who I have seen stranded on the road during heavy rain, trying to wave down autos but they are not stopping.
Altocumulus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 14:04   #14
BHPian

Like mentioned above it would be preferably easy/safe to give lift on a bike because if it crashes due to the stranger trying to be funny, it injures both the rider and pillion.

I recall two instances where I had given lift to an elderly and a school kid. The school kid was genuine and was rushing to the bus stop to reach home. I was still alert to check if he is not trying to grab my bag or unzip it to take something out. Fortunately, no such thing happened and he thanked me when I dropped him off.

The elderly guy however is a different story. I was a bit late for my classes in the afternoon and was on my bike. This is searing afternoon heat in April 2009. I am halfway through and see this elderly guy waving for a lift. I stopped and asked him where did he want to go. He said he wanted to see his wife who is admitted in a hospital which was near my home. I was in a two minded state now, should I drop him back where I came from and risk being more late or shall I proceed and be less late. In the end I gave him a lift and this ungrateful person walked away from the hospital to go somewhere else. I did not have any problem giving lifts in such circumstances if being true, I do have an issue when people tell lies and stoop to such levels to get a free ride. My tuition teacher was a strict guy but luckily he did not question me for why I was late. I believe I was spared as it was a one-off instance.

Regarding these reports, this might as well be happening in Maharashtra as GTO pointed out in his experience. In my previous job I was doing these graveyard shifts. I used to take my car to work on a Friday shift every week so that I get to drive more and return a few minutes quickly as I do not have to wait for my company cab. I used to drop my colleague on the way as it was good to have company and safe as well. Sometime in 2016, at the Ambedkar chowk in Pimpri I see this young lady standing and waiting for someone at 2:00 AM with a big bag and a suitcase. Now this is not middle of nowhere but why would anyone be there at that time was the question I had. I even checked with my colleague if he had seen her and he did see her as well. As a mark of safety we did not stop as I did not see any reason for a woman to be there at that time. And roads are deserted at that time with occasional office cabs seen driven to drop off employees.

One more instance is when my sister was very late one evening from work. She had been assigned a project from other company for which she had to go to Phase 2 in Hinjewadi. This is sometime in May 2010, no cellular range for Airtel in that part of the IT Park. My family and myself began to get worried about her whereabouts as there was no communication from her by 11:00 PM. To put things into perspective we all IT folk know it is normal for an IT employee to be late from work but there is some communication. Finally, I pick my bike keys and leave to check in person at 11:30 PM. I reach Wakad bridge chowk and I get a call from my sis that she is safe and has a company cab to drop her home and she will be even further late (Thank God for that call!). Suggested me to go home and not to worry.
As I finished my call I see two guys approach me on foot and ask for directions to Hinjewadi. I tell them the way and the moment I am about to leave they request me to drop them there. Now there were no street lights once you cross Wakad bridge and no new broad roads as they are today at the time. I said I can't take them as it would be triple seat and I do not ride that way. They persisted a lot and before they could do me any harm I hit the electric starter on my P180 and gunned it. Proper filmy style rear wheel spin in gravel, a sharp U-turn and I was off.
I am sure they were there to scam me, my bike although 2 years old then was shiny as it is still today and I had my newly gifted Samsung Star 3G phone from my sis. Touch screen was a novelty at that time (feeling old still mates?). They might have thought I was a good catch and extort some money but I know they would have been disappointed.

In the current age, I would not stop for anyone asking for a lift. Not even when I am riding my bike and I have done this. I do not regret either. For me it is better safe than sorry.

Regards,
aghate

Last edited by aghate : 18th June 2019 at 14:09.
aghate is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 14:54   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Be most careful in giving lift to school kids next time because the legal punishment of improper touching/molesting/abusing a kid is much severe than adults.
Why am I saying this ? Happened to a colleague.
Gave lift to a school kid in his car, few hundred meters away he was been asked to pay 500 bucks to buy books or else he will raise the voice and say you gave me lift and touched me inappropriately.
Luckily the kid was not really part of any gang and my friend confidently told him that he will take him to police station and then pay there in front of policeman.
The kid was dropped off the way but learning - be safe with kids even.
Cooltronics is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed