Team-BHP > Buckle Up > Street Experiences

Old 14th June 2019, 08:36   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Noida extortion racket busted - Fake Rape Case

Coming fresh of the thread on conmen-on-the-streets requesting 300-400 Rs, this is a sad turn to something I used to happily engage in - giving and taking lifts.

Quote:
According to police, the two women would spot cars being driven by young men and ask for a lift in the area around Mahamaya Flyover. The woman would ask to stop the car where a PCR van would be parked, near Sector 44 police booth. The woman would get out of the car and complain to police personnel that she had been raped. The fake complaint would then be used by the other accused to blackmail the vehicle owner.

The policemen and the accused had a fixed modus operandi. Once the driver would enter the booth, some accused would appear on behalf of the woman and demand action. An accused, Harishankar, would appear as a lawyer. He did not have any license. Another accused, Deshraj Awana, referred to himself as the ‘Chairman’, and he would ask the driver to reach a compromise and avoid an FIR,” said Krishna.
Source

Source

But good to see the police acting fast on this basis complaints given by 3 people. They are also checking if the cops involved in this had a similar nexus in their earlier postings.

@Mods, kindly merge this with any of the existing threads if suitable.
ninjatalli is online now   (9) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 10:32   #2
BHPian

Default Re: Noida extortion racket busted - Fake Rape Case

This kind of racket is nothing new at least in Madras. Several years ago, shady women would ask for lift in the VSNL road off Napier's Bridge and then after a few hundred meters scream. Two wheeler riders who are cohorts in this will stop the car and extort money.
Mostly susceptible young men would be their prime target and this road was chosen as it was mostly deserted at that time.

Looks like even men are not safe.
Prowler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 11:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

For some reason I have never been comfortable giving lifts to anyone when I am in car.
I have given many lifts while on bike, but the closed environment of car gives me jitters - you never know when the "liftee" sticks a knife to your throat ...

The only exception I have done is for small school kids.
alpha1 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 11:48   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
The only exception I have done is for small school kids.
I find that just as risky; if people can stoop to a level where they take lifts and then accuse the driver of rape, who's to say, the same people won't use children as pawns and scream abduction.

I know, sounds very paranoid but rather safe than sorry, especially in today's times. It was much simpler many years ago. Plus, I don't want to take responsibility of a stranger's child, especially when the parent isn't aware.
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 12:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

I never give lifts to anyone, during my Delhi days, My cab driver once narrated a story on how an old man stuck a knife to his armpit and asked for money. From that day I never give lifts to anyone unknown in my car, however after coming to the land of hartals I offer ride to people stranded in the middle of the road only if I am on a bike.

I have a rather strange story to narrate. It was back in 2006 December, when I and my wife were on a drive near the embassy roads, I was at Kutaliya Marg and I took a left to Nyaya Marg, the road was deserted, it was cold and it was dark at around 9 pm, there was not even a singe vehicle on the road and usually that road is not taken by anyone, there was a small bus shelter and in that bus shelter was a little girl who was dressed up in a white frock, her dressing showed that she was from a well to do family. Seeing her there, I started thinking, I wanted to stop but some part of me told me to continue driving,

I just casually asked my wife if she saw the girl and she said she did. I asked her if we should turn back and check, my wife said we should not, Some part of me stayed back with that little girl, I always used to curse myself for not stopping and checking, I could still very vividly remember her lifting her head and looking at the car, I used to repent, till recently when I heard that's a common occurrence especially in the ridge road area. Finally I have a closure today when I hear people can actually stoop down to any level to make a quick buck. God save the county.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2019, 13:19   #6
BHPian

These situations are so worrying!

I have heard that there are places where people will purposely get hit by your car on slowish junctions and then the crowd typically will extort you (have seen a few crowd extortions and the Mob mentality is not pretty, especially in semi urban india).

Such scams will leave genuine drivers to leave the spot fearing mob justice and later risk hit and run.
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote