Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2019, 13:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Cash payments at toll plazas could attract 10-20% surcharge

An interesting move. I have used FASTag in one of my cars.
The experience was mostly smooth with few glitches.

The most irritating thing that happened with me is additional deduction of toll charges on many subsequent days when car was parked in basement. When I raised this with issuing bank and NHAI, no action was taken. I was charged something like 200/- via this fraudulent deduction. The amount as such is not big, but as there is no possibility to get remedy, I have stopped putting any money in FASTag.

One skewed system where customer has no escalation path which provides remedy nor is there any system where organization at fault can be penalized.
CarJunki is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 19:56   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think they should start penalising cash-paying vehicles which take the lanes reserved for tag users. Maybe charge double the normal toll for taking the wrong lane. That should discourage atleast some people from taking the wrong lane.
I said this many years back. Glad that the government is also thinking along the same lines. I was traveling with my father in his car the other day. We used the reserved lane for tag users and was through the toll plaza in a breeze, while there was a sizeable queue in the other lanes. I wish more people would start using the tag for their own convenience.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 21:06   #48
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering if fastag holders will get free passage in case fastag system is not working in a particular toll gate? I understand that there are other methods of cashless payment, but why should anyone use those after having fastag?
Old 7th July 2019, 23:13   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
Just wondering if fastag holders will get free passage in case fastag system is not working in a particular toll gate? I understand that there are other methods of cashless payment, but why should anyone use those after having fastag?
Yes, depends on the toll booth operator and your attitude. Last week, we were entering NH48 through a small toll booth which doesn't have fastag. My friend confidently pointed out the tag in the car and said fastag. The toll booth operator sleepishly let us through.
Old 9th July 2019, 13:29   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
But you know what? On an overall basis, it has been a good investment. I've saved so much time in multiple toll booths so that I could cruise at a sedate 80 Kmph and still average the same speeds as folks doing 100 Kmph+ since they would waste time paying toll by cash every 50 or 60 Kilometers. I would place my trust in Mr.Gadkari, gnash my teeth and bear with whatever hardships there are - knowing that it is no trivial matter and that it is a problem worth solving.
Totally agree, I have been using ICICI FASTAG for around 2 years now. It is a blessing, I agree completely. It is just that, the surcharge of 10%-20%, I could not digest.
Old 9th July 2019, 13:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

It will be nice to use the tag since it helps in moving faster through the gates. They have only one lane mostly for these also and I see the lanes dont work sometimes.

However, I don't like the idea of surcharge. We are getting too much these forceful measures recently. Isn't 10 rupee cash worth 10 rupees ? The governor promises so on the bill.

Last edited by srishiva : 9th July 2019 at 13:48.
Old 9th July 2019, 15:15   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
However, I don't like the idea of surcharge. We are getting too much these forceful measures recently. Isn't 10 rupee cash worth 10 rupees ? The governor promises so on the bill.
Surcharge is charge for service, Cash collection has expenses, a cash collector has to be employed and payed salary. So this is a justified move to charge extra for cash collection.
shamanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 12:16   #53
BHPian

While I am all for pushing towards digital payments and the benefits that ensue with such payment modes, I am not sure enforcement through a stick approach is a good idea. Before we move towards any such drastic measures, we need to look at some inherent issues in the system and fix them.

1. A thorough review of the current toll system is needed(if not a complete overhaul) to standardize the toll rates across the country. Currently I see a disparity in the system. NICE road in Blr, probably the most expensive road in the country, charges 4+ rs per KM where as the normal highways around it charge < 2rs per KM. That too for a badly maintained road. There could be a reason for the high charges. But instead of fixing the charges for each individual toll road on a stand alone basis, NHAI can come up with a gradation system where there could be standard variable rates for different types of toll roads. For Eg: roads developed on BOT basis with land acquisition costs borne by the vendor can charge a higher per KM rate compared to where govt has already acquired the land and gives it for road construction etc. This should also take into consideration the condition and upkeep of the roads before sanctioning an annual toll hike. I am not sure if this is practically feasible, nevertheless its worth giving a try.

2. There are so many glitches and inconsistencies in the current Fastag implementation. Half the times the OH sensors dont work and the guy with a handgun has to scan the Fastag manually. This defeats the purpose of using Fastags. while its cashless it consumes same time or more time as manual toll collection. At certain toll booths the sensors are at the booth and at certain other places, the sensor is placed 100m before you approach the booth. All these issues needs to be fixed and vehicles should be allowed to cross the toll booths using Fastags at a decent speed say 20-30 KMPH and still the tags are being read without issues.

3. Strengthen the grievance redressal mechanisms for any issues when using the roads. If you see that the road is badly maintained but the agency is still collecting tolls there should be a channel to report such issues and an SLA based approach to get resolution for the same. If the SLA is breached, the agency maintaining the roads should be liable for a penalty. (Why only penalize people for using cash why not these guys).The same goes for other issues like double payment for Fastag lanes that dont seem to work but still charge digitally as well as manually. For eg: the Karnataka govt. has introduced the sakaala scheme which is an SLA based service framework which works partially if not fully. This scheme provides a timeline for each service you are trying to avail from a govt office.

4. I have seen unmanned toll roads in US in LA and DC areas. You are expected to have a Pass on your car to use these roads, however one-off users can still use these roads without getting hassled much. As you pass through the different sensor points along the road, the system calculates the amount of toll to be paid by you and sends out a message to the phone number associated with the number plate. The user can then log into the toll site, identify the vehicle time and date and pay the toll with in a prescribed date to avoid penalties. If you dont pay the toll in time, then the penalties stack up based on the delay. We can try a similar system on Indian roads.

Lastly, all said and done, if the govt, still wants to proceed with enforcement of surcharges on cash payments, it should atleast be done in a phased manner. The govt should first spruce up the infrastructure and spread awareness on the benefits of cash less models and People should be given sufficient education and opportunity to convert and then implement the surcharge in stages

The point is, enforcing such a drastic measure without resolving the inherent issues in the system will only repel people and sooner or later they will find creative ways of avoiding these surcharges.
mchandra13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 12:55   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post
....at some inherent issues in the system and fix them.

1. A thorough review of the current toll system ...standardize the toll rates

2. There are so many glitches and inconsistencies in the current Fastag implementation...

3. Strengthen the grievance redressal mechanisms

4. ... one-off users can still use these roads without getting hassled much... try a similar system on Indian roads.

done in a phased manner. implement the surcharge in stages

The point is, enforcing such a drastic measure without resolving the inherent issues in the system will only repel people and sooner or later they will find creative ways of avoiding these surcharges.
Agree with all your valuable points (unfortunately for us, no one in power seems to see it our way)

FASTag should be invisible. Why slow down at all? All this malfunctioning of machines is because of the unnecessary staff who have some vested interests. How many would like a "cash dispenser helper" at the ATM who would check your ID and your tax return and then hand over the cash dispensed by the machine while taking his cut based on his whims and fancies? This is how it works now at the BETL; automation sabotaged by you know who.

In a slight variation with your points, I would prefer all the preliminary improvements and a full implementation immediately after that. Because those sitting on the borderline need a kick, otherwise nothing will persuade them to move from their comfortable positions.
Old 6th September 2019, 14:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchandra13 View Post

4. I have seen unmanned toll roads in US in LA and DC areas. You are expected to have a Pass on your car to use these roads, however one-off users can still use these roads without getting hassled much. As you pass through the different sensor points along the road, the system calculates the amount of toll to be paid by you and sends out a message to the phone number associated with the number plate. The user can then log into the toll site, identify the vehicle time and date and pay the toll with in a prescribed date to avoid penalties. If you dont pay the toll in time, then the penalties stack up based on the delay. We can try a similar system on Indian roads.
This system does not work in India because of trust factor. No one trusts anyone or anything here. Have you seen immigration check while getting out of airport in India (at least in Bangalore), you go through immigration gates and there is one person standing outside to make sure you have gone through and have seal printed on passport .... LOL. I can get 100s of example of redundant checks in India.
Govt does not trust their own system they are proposing/implementing, hence they keep people to double check you did not cheat/hack system and most cases that will turn to be bottle neck (again airport example).

Is Western countries, they build system to trust and they trust the system they build. Not here....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks