Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2019, 13:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Rumour: FASTags to be made mandatory for all vehicles (including existing ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
My Feb 2018 TUV 300 came with an Axis Bank Fastag. For one year that followed, I was the one who blocked Fastag lanes by paying cash.

Why?

Axis Bank insisted that I finish the KYC process with them. Branches couldn't help me and it couldn't be done online either. In the absence of KYC, my wallet could only be loaded with 500 bucks.

I switched to HDFC Fastag in March 2019 and all's well now.
Oh!! Wasn't aware that issues with Axis Fastag are so well known and prevalent.

My Oct-2018 Jazz was also delivered with Axis Fastag. I tried checking with Honda dealer as well as Axis Bank guys regarding the re-charge procedure, all in vain. I was totally unaware that Axis Fastag has caused so much pain to other users. I assume I cannot transfer my current Fastag to another bank, in which case I'm better off getting a new one from my bank (ICICI). Are there any known issues in getting a new Fastag from ICICI? How smooth/painful is the recharge process?

Btw, the dealer had put some currency in the new Fastag delivered along with my new car (IIRC, 600/-), and I was able to use it all up in my very first trip after getting the new car. I had driven parts of Bangalore-Chennai highway on my way to Tirupati and then Bangalore-Hyderabad highway on my way to Gulbarga.

I like the idea of making it mandatory to get a Fastag. At the same time, Govt. should address all aspects of it including necessary infrastructure and penalties for willful violators.

Last edited by prashkul : 18th July 2019 at 13:54.
prashkul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 14:06   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: FASTags to be made mandatory for all vehicles (including existing ones)

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashkul View Post
Oh!! Wasn't aware that issues with Axis Fastag are so well known and prevalent.

My Oct-2018 Jazz was also delivered with Axis Fastag. I tried checking with Honda dealer as well as Axis Bank guys regarding the re-charge procedure, all in vain. I was totally unaware that Axis Fastag has caused so much pain to other users. I assume I cannot transfer my current Fastag to another bank, in which case I'm better off getting a new one from my bank (ICICI). Are there any known issues in getting a new Fastag from ICICI? How smooth/painful is the recharge process?.
With my former Axis fastag, I couldn't even create a User ID/Password in their portal where I would've recharged it. Instead, I had to send money to it during business hours via NEFT....only to have the NEFTs reversed since KYC hadn't been done and I'd exceeded the maximum allowed amount in the wallet!

I've long since torn off the useless Axis Fastag. My experience with HDFC's fastag is very akin to my experience back in the US with my erstwhile EZpass tag. Everything is digitally handled and seamlessly too.

No idea about ICICI though.
locusjag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 15:00   #18
BHPian

My new car came with ICICI tag. My issue started when I recharged the account second time for 1000 Rs. The toll plaza simply refused to let me pass saying my account is blocked n the tag invalid. Tried raising the issue with the bank through email. No reply since more than a year. Tried the RF site. They don't even have a email id to raise complaints. Money vanished without a trace.
This sounds like another big scam in the making.
revmaxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 15:10   #19
BHPian

Quote:
With my former Axis fastag, I couldn't even create a User ID/Password in their portal where I would've recharged it. Instead, I had to send money to it during business hours via NEFT....only to have the NEFTs reversed since KYC hadn't been done and I'd exceeded the maximum allowed amount in the wallet!

I've long since torn off the useless Axis Fastag. My experience with HDFC's fastag is very akin to my experience back in the US with my erstwhile EZpass tag. Everything is digitally handled and seamlessly too.

No idea about ICICI though.
I am using ICICI fast tag. Registration was done in the early days of Fasttag. But the process was smooth. I had the tag within 45 mins of handing over the application. It was activated the next day. ICICI's fasttag portal is okay to use as well. ICICI 's Fasttag portal is focused towards fleet operators. Hence newbie's might be experiencing some hiccups to understand the portal.

My sister's car too has ICICI's Fasttag. Once her fasttag account was debited multiple times because of the reader error at a toll booth. I sent a mail, and called the customer care. After verification they reversed the payments in 2 weeks.

Pretty decent.
rajeshsundaram is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 15:16   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaxx View Post
My new car came with ICICI tag. My issue started when I recharged the account second time for 1000 Rs. The toll plaza simply refused to let me pass saying my account is blocked n the tag invalid. Tried raising the issue with the bank through email. No reply since more than a year. Tried the RF site. They don't even have a email id to raise complaints. Money vanished without a trace.
This sounds like another big scam in the making.
This is serious! Reach out to the Banking Ombudsman assigned by RBI to your region. That'll set the cat among the pigeons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshsundaram View Post
I am using ICICI fast tag.....
Pretty decent.
Good to know, thanks!
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 16:54   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Good idea. Hope this is implemented on the Sea Link as well - and we have a common wallet for
all tolls. Wonder if they can use the existing Sea Link toll sticker and turn it into a FastTag?
Hayek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 17:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Axis Bank insisted that I finish the KYC process with them. Branches couldn't help me and it couldn't be done online either.
Exactly I faced the same issue with Axis. When I bought my Elite i20, the dealer provided me with Axis FasTag. I happily accepted because I am a customer of Axis for a decade. I provided the requested Aadhar and PanCard to get the FasTag. But later when I was on a road trip I noticed that we were not able to recharge the Axis FasTag. Called the customer care and they told me my FasTag was blacklisted since KYC was not done. I gave a mouthful and raised the Axis FasTag cancellation request on the same day.

Bought a ICICI FasTag and it is working like a charm. The problem was with the particular service provider. But time demands such moves to make FasTag compulsory. It saves time.
TorqueKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 19:29   #23
BHPian

So making FasTag compulsory means that borrowing a car is more difficult. Now, we can just borrow the vehicle, fill some fuel and go. But if this is implemented, the person who lends the car will be charged. And the borrower needs to pay the toll amount back.

This can actually pave way for some really awkward situations.
Old 18th July 2019, 20:17   #24
BHPian

This is an intriguing topic. A question arises to mind if Fastag is available at all the toll nakas?

Highways yes, but at the Vashi toll naka correct me if I am fallacious but I have seen only ETC tag not fastag, Is it the same at the Thane and Airoli toll nakas?

So purchase of a fastag is of no use to me if I travel to Vashi . Would it be valid i.e. Fastag? Moving forward all the toll nakas I have seen have fastag.

Making Fastag mandatory is foolishness if all these finer details are not taken care of .
ToothyPetrohead is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2019, 22:22   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToothyPetrohead View Post
Highways yes, but at the Vashi toll naka correct me if I am fallacious but I have seen only ETC tag not fastag, Is it the same at the Thane and Airoli toll nakas?

So purchase of a fastag is of no use to me if I travel to Vashi . Would it be valid i.e. Fastag?
yes the tag at Thane, Airoli, SeaLink and Vashi are different and are operated by MEP. So you'll need to buy an additional tag from them. Not sure why but i think these tolls can too be integrated with Fasttag. Will save a lot of headache.
nick.cs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 10:45   #26
BHPian

My Creta came with an Axis bank Fastag. The dealer and neither the bank informed about KYC.

I am a customer of SBI for the last 10 years and I was unable to recharge the card as well.
I called axis customer care and informed that I am unable to recharge the card. The customer care told some non-sense reason and I realized the person was just trying to end my call fast.
I ended the call and called again after 10 minutes. This time another person picked and informed me to submit KYC doc to nearest Axis branch.

Went to the branch with Aadhaar card, PAN card. The branch did not have any clue of what I was talking about. .

They were trying to convince me to start an account in their branch rather than finishing up KYC for the Fastag. I spoke little rude and then with half mind they accepted my documents. They gave a form to fill were I wrote my card number.
Had to do multiple follow ups with the branch to know the status. It took close to 2 weeks time to complete the process after which I was able to add the Fastag account to my SBI other bank transfer module.

Now I am able to do online recharge just like transferring money to 3rd party and move freely across toll gates. (of course we have online axis portal for recharge)

I really do not know what is stopping dealers to submit all required documents and give proper info to customers about Fastag on buying the car, just like they explain features of the car at the time of delivery.

Last edited by deemash : 19th July 2019 at 10:48.
deemash is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2019, 12:50   #27
BHPian

I have a query. While purchasing a new car, can we pick our fastag agent instead of the one the dealer recommends? I believe if the dealer offers the customer multiple choices, such problems will not be there. The customer can choose one out of the list which he is most comfortable in.

I personally use Paytm Fastag, till date no issues. Recharges are very easy, just add money to Paytm Wallet, and cashbacks are credited in 2 to 3 months time.
Old 19th July 2019, 12:58   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
While purchasing a new car, can we pick our fastag agent instead of the one the dealer recommends?
Yes you can and it is certainly tryable if not impossible.

For a friend who had picked a Ciaz last year from a Nexa Dealership (Mandovi), I had insisted that he gets a Tag from ICICI and the Sales Rep. readily agreed and he got one. I had also told not to paste the Tag during delivery and hence the Tag was handed over as part of other documents during the time of delivery.

However, this will really depend on the dealership and their banking partners. Mandovi being one of the largest dealers for sure will have multiple banking partners and it was easy for the Sales Rep to agree to a specific bank when I insisted. Another dealer that I know gives tags only from HDFC because of their banking relationship and they are not that big a dealer in Bangalore.

Hence, getting a tag of your choice is not totally impossible due to these reasons. The dealers are also not bound by any rules that mandates them to purchase and affix tags only from specific banks.

Last edited by paragsachania : 19th July 2019 at 12:59.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 09:21   #29
BHPian

All lanes at toll plazas to be 'FASTag lanes' from December 1
HIGHLIGHTS:
  1. The government said it has decided to declare all lanes at toll fee plaza on national highways as 'FASTag lanes' from December 1.
  2. In a statement, the ministry of road transport and highways said this lane will also be converted into FASTag-only lane in a time-bound manner.

Link to TOI report: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/70297786.cms
truezealous is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2019, 09:53   #30
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
With this being implemented, I just hope all lanes & booths at every toll plaza will be able to read Fastags. Every booth can continue to be manned as well (I've heard that the fear of toll personnel losing jobs due to Electronic tolls is another reason why the companies operating the toll plazas don't really want hassle-free operation of Fastag lanes) and the attendant can accept cash Only if the tag fails to work for some technical reason, and if the failure is due to insufficient balance, cash amount will be higher and inclusive of a penal fee.
Whoa, looks like this could indeed become reality soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
All lanes at toll plazas to be 'FASTag lanes' from Dec 1 [Source: TOI]

Similar News :
Only digital payments for highway toll from December. Else, pay double: Centre [Source : Hindustan Times]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks