Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2019, 22:06   #16
BHPian

Re: Bad experience with a bike gang on the Coimbatore - Palakkad highway

Yes, I think there are cameras all around. I did not have my dash cam that day. the police arrived quickly after I called them from toll gate taking the number, and they said they will identify them from the images. They actually passed the toll gates as well.
sumannandy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 11:53   #17
BHPian

You did the right thing,
engaging with hooligans with a lady co-passenger is not advisable.

Road rage is very common, and you must think calmly of the consequences of your actions before taking 'em.

As a father of a baby girl, I have mellowed down a lot, which really helps in the de-escalation of such cases. It was bang opposite when I was a bachelor.
Nitish.arnold is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 13:14   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I know this has been discussed before on this forum - but this makes me want to apply for a firearm license and buy a pistol for self-defence.

Of course, you know what they say about guns - once you pull out a gun, you'd best use it. Don't whip it out if you won't/can't shoot someone with it.
Exactly my predicament! A gun will make you feel safe when you are driving in night or maybe a shady area, however the gun laws here in India do not allow you to pack it everywhere.

Secondly if you carry a gun make sure it is visible by using a chest holster (preferably) which will deter them then and there otherwise firing a shot in the air is also an option.

Looking at the number of morons increasing day by day its just better to get a gun and be safe rather than get beaten black and blue or worst.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
God forbid if you ever have to use it.

Present legal system of India will make you repent the decision. Getting out from a self defense court case may take life time.
I have been brought up in a very civilized environment however one thing was taught to us that "Don't start the fight but if its started finish it right there". I have been into quite a few fights and do regret it later however just cant let it go.
I stay in Pune, MH where people do not want to get into trouble and just move on, however, few have so much of time (The Bhaus) that they will try to intimidate.

There was one incident involving me in Aundh, Pune (an upscale area) where I honked at a Bhau parked and talking in the middle of a lane. They started abusing and the leader tried to grab my hand from outside that was it, The fight started and till the time My fiance called up 100 they had left, I had a sore lip, the Bhau had his nose broken with blood coming out like a waterfall and the rest of the gang with few bruises here and there. I was alone they were 5, it's good that it was a fist fight and I know how to carry myself. However, if I had a gun this all wouldn't have happened. I know this nothing to be proud of but sometimes you just cant let it go.

When does a good man decide to, lets just say, hit-back?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th July 2019 at 18:23. Reason: Post fixed. Potential expletives removed.
ShivrajG is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 15:49   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaXal View Post
1. There is road rage
2. There is scam.
Very well put!

For both the situations though, its very important to remain calm, very very calm!

Being in NCR the probability of getting into road rage is high, if you have a delicate ego then you can beat or get beaten by 10 strangers before you reach home, that is if you go looking for road rage.

What has helped me immensely is that I avoid eye contact, if the situation escalates then saying sorry works wonders, it really does! A couple of times it was a thud on the window or my car's bonnet but that's about it. I allow my car to take any sort of beating no matter if it was detailed last night.

Both scammers and people looking for a fight will want to engage you, make you get out of your vehicle etc. but all one can do is fold hands, say sorry and try to move away from that situation.

On the video recording bit though, it can make the situation turn worse also so best is to have a dashcam and have your partner call 100. Even if it doesn't work act as if you've called the cops, that works much better than making a video because video can at times provoke the other party also.
fine69 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 16:20   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I was traveling from Palakkad to Coimbatore yesterday around 3 pm. About 30 kms before Coimbatore, I overtook one sports bike being driven by two youth. And stopped for tender coconut water where they overtook us, stopped the bike and started asking why we overtook him. We did not strike any conversation and they drove off.
======
Thinking about it, the previous day while going from Coimbatore to Palakkad in the morning, we saw a white sedan parked on the left surrounded by a few people on bike, possibly the same bike gang.
That was indeed a scary experience. Even if not such bad, but I am always horrified by bike commuters in the Bangalore city itself. Bikes and autos can scratch, hit and run away. Whenever there is a signal, the bikers seem to squeeze into wherever possible and sometimes, wherever not possible.

What could have been done is taking photographs or videos of those bikers on your return journey when you found them surrounding a white sedan car. Though I understand it is easy to advise than doing it. We would try to keep ourselves safe from such gangs rather confront them with little support from police.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd July 2019 at 09:31. Reason: edited quoted post for better readability
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:00   #21
Senior - BHPian

The biggest problem is there are lot of people out there who has nothing to lose. The moment you have something to lose , you lose a lot of power. There is this famous quote by Nikki Lauda in the movie Rush.

"Happiness is your biggest enemy. It weakens you. Puts doubts in your mind. Suddenly you have something to lose ! "

We are the ones with things to lose and it is better not to get involved in a fight even at the lose of pride. There is nothing much you can do other than what OP did in this case. Sad state of affairs in our country.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 22nd July 2019 at 17:05.
padmrajravi is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 17:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

This is the world we live in so being smart about it and expecting it helps in preparing for it. Road rage incidents are always tricky. There is a very thin line between ignoring it and letting it pass or waiting to long and finding yourself in danger.

Ignoring it initially is best and if needed tell the person he is right and say lets forget about it and start walking away however if things do get out of hand like in this case where you are stopped and threatened then do not hold back.

On most occasion if the person threatening is responded to with equal aggression then he will mostly fall back. There is strength in numbers so avoid stopping at a secluded place. If travelling with female, ask her to lock all doors and call in for help.
Install a dash cam. It is a great piece of evidence.

Always carry a solid wooden stick about 3/3.5 feet in your car. Keep it next to the driver seat towards the door so it can be taken out at a moments notice. Include a long iron rod,( the one that is used to support plants) in the boot for when situations are really out of control. Do however remember that an iron rod will kill if hit on the head.

If you have a gun license then ensure that the gun is clearly visible to the other party before confronting. If it does get to a stage where physical assault is inevitable, aim for the legs, a solid whack with the stick on the side of the knees will ground almost anyone. A good hit on the ankle will also tear the ligament and disable the joint. A hit on the legs does not attract serious penal sections.

Of course how things proceed will depend upon the situation you are in.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 23rd July 2019 at 09:32. Reason: edited for better readability
bigron is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Sad to hear about the incident.

Better invest in a dashcam (or two) - if someone shows road rage be sure to point out that their activities are being recorded.

I would advise against keeping any weapons in the car. Situation escalates quickly once the other party sees a melee weapon, and you never know what weapons they are gonna come up with. Guns are a different story, but I wouldn't want guns in anyone's hand except law enforcement, and gun laws in India are quite strict.

Maybe get a pepper spray and keep it in the front cup holder?

Also - it is never prudent to start a fight if you are alone and have a lady co passenger - leave the scene as soon as possible.

Almost everyone on road in India has little time, huge ego and is unaware of the term 'yield' - most road rages start due to the aforementioned deficiencies.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:43. Reason: Spacing
blackasta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 18:53   #24
BHPian

I had a similar experience in Chennai, The road belongs to the southern railways and has less traffic during noon. 4 guys, 2 on a Honda Dio and 2 on a TVS Apache. They had the entire road for themselves not letting any vehicles cross them. I was right behind them and overtook them at a broader stretch. Screeched my brakes and parked the car diagonally not letting them move.

I went straight to them and gave a tight slap to the guy riding the Apache, I asked them to call the police or whoever they want for support. They panicked and wanted to leave the place immediately, and was asking sorry continuously.

1. I wouldn't have done it, if I was in some unknown place. This road I use regularly, I was aware an RPF outpost is close by
2. I did it because there were other motorists for my support
3. I was in my Khakis and had a shot haircut, which scared them

I would definitely allow them to behave as they want, if I was in another state or city. I have seen locals behavior change when they see a car from another state and they take them for granted and wanted to show their might.
.HEM is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:02   #25
BHPian

On a related note, someone showing off his dancing skills,
BigBrad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 20:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrad View Post
On a related note, someone showing off his dancing skills,
The rider who captured the video is no Saint. His speed was too much for that kind of road.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd July 2019 at 23:32. Reason: Please don't quote videos. Thanks!
gauravanekar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 22:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
Thinking about it, the previous day while going from Coimbatore to Palakkad in the morning, we saw a white sedan parked on the left surrounded by a few people on bike, possibly the same bike gang.
I don't know how a thread about road rage turned into one about gun control, but whatever. There is a college on that road, so you might have run into some students probably. Also, are you sure you're not at fault? You claim to have over taken them, but did you do it in the proper manner? This section of the highway is only a two lane road, and if he was ahead of you, he has the right of the way, implying that if you didn't go fast enough, he did not have to make way for you, and if you overtook him nonetheless, you endangered both yourself and the biker, although he was at greater risk, and had greater cause for anger. This is a relatively safe area compared to other parts of the country, and while crime maybe present, I can assure you that there are no "biker gangs", only the highway patrol. Also, no offense to anyone, but the traffic in Bangalore may be squarely blamed on the drivers who have no sense of driving etiquette. Maybe the members of Team-BHP are aware of the rules, but atleast 70 percent of Bangaloreans drive erroneously, especially the taxi drivers.

However, they carry their dangerous driving style into the highway, and I've personally brought the windows down and screamed at a good number of KA registered vehicles, not because they are from Karnataka, but because these drivers are madmen trying to kill others on the road. Naturally, there is a sense of enmity towards

KA vehicles in this region, because a good majority of them have had unpleasant experiences with inept drivers. That could maybe explain the increased hostility towards you. It's always easier to apologize, and the decent thing to do if you're at fault. If you're not, simply ignore them. If they do keep pestering you to stop, stopping your car in the middle of the highway was the right call. Always gather a crowd, but keep in mind that it may easily backfire. Suppose the biker had been injured, whether it was your fault or not, the crowd will almost always take the side of the person on the smaller vehicle.

While some of the members are suggesting gun control, a far easier approach would be to carry a pepper spray, it gets the job done.

However if this same incident were to happen in a rural area, do not stop no matter what. There is no telling how the circumstances might change in that scenario. It is simply better to speed away, especially if some animal is involved.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:45. Reason: Spacing.
hrk997 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2019, 23:16   #28
BHPian

It is a really sad state of affairs with a large number of Road Rage incidents taking place everyday across the country. Installing a Dash-cam and practising Defensive Driving are what comes to my mind as the immediate preventive solutions. Here in Pune, there are people who are perennially in a hurry to get ahead by honking. I let them pass if possible; better to have my peace of mind rather than an idiot at the back honking.
Old 23rd July 2019, 00:34   #29

Thank god you are safe. I mean its good you did not get out of the car, else it would have been a street fight and lets accept it, we are not cut out for a roadside brawl. Like the old adage '' Don't start a fight you can't finish'' Hoping the authorities do something really quick about this one. It frequented by me as well and can happen to anybody for that matter.
Stay safe !
Old 23rd July 2019, 00:48   #30
BHPian

I dont mind if people think I am timid/loser or whatever, but when travelling with family/loved ones, its best to stay safe, than use muscles to prove something. Especially when you are out of state, you know that a local goon/gang will always be more aware of his surroundings and can mobilise a crowd quickly than you.

But yeah, what you did was right, stopping in the middle of the lane, instead of corner. This alone must have saved you that day.

Ride safe!

SS80 (Anand)

Most Viewed