Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2019, 03:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Bad experience with a bike gang on the Coimbatore - Palakkad highway

So this was not road rage as such, rather people looking to create trouble and extortion I guess. The stretch on which I overtook them was the four lane stretch. I overtook from the right most lane. They might be students looking to creating trouble.

Previous day, I did notice bikes surrounding a sedan. Had I known, I would have stopped to help the sedan driver, and called police.

In my case, when the drivers of other vehicles have started abusing them, they backed off.

I had a dash cam earlier which I lost, possibly at the service center. After this incident I have ordered a 70MaiPro dash cam based on the reviews here.

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2019 at 08:27. Reason: Grammatical errors
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2019, 23:41   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivrajG View Post
I have been brought up in a very civilized environment however one thing was taught to us.
Here's my take it on it. I am a guy who's spent 15 years in the gym, generally look stronger and more ripped than most, and do amateur MMA fights here in Toronto so I know where you're coming from.

It's always best to choose your battles wisely, there have been cases where I haven't but as you grow mature you start to see things from the other side of the pond. It's always good to second guess your natural instinct which I am assuming is to engage in a physical fight - what if the bikers are just egoistic as they're young, is there peer pressure, if they can be brought to reason or is there any short/long term benefit for both parties in being physical? I vaguely remember a similar scene from the movie Singham, and such individuals may sometimes need help or a firm guidance (from the cops in this case, not from you).

There is generally no point in engaging in road rage fights especially when you're outnumbered, please try to avoid them to ensure safety first, take the high road and don't stoop down to other people's level.

Remember - choose your battles wisely I see no long or short term benefit in you taking up a fight with strangers other than ego satisfaction. Let the proper authorities handle it, no matter how inefficiently they may do so.

Last edited by aah78 : 24th July 2019 at 18:26. Reason: Quoted post edited.
abhinavinc is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2019, 11:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
It's always best to choose your battles wisely, there have been cases where i haven't but as you grow mature you start to see things from the other side of the pond.

I agree with you on this and one can never know what they may end up with, I do not encourage such practice. Nowadays I just roll down my window give them some fancy tantrums (such words they might not have heard in their entire life, WE MP WALA's are quite creative especially the Gwalior-Chambal Region) roll up and leave the scene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavinc View Post
There is generally no point in engaging in road rage fights especially when you're outnumbered, please try to avoid them to ensure safety first, take the high road and don't stoop down to other people's level.

Remember - choose your battles wisely I see no long or short term benefit in you taking up a fight with strangers other than ego satisfaction. Let the proper authorities handle it, no matter how inefficiently they may do so.
Yes! with me it happened in the heat of moment and I do regret as to why do I get involved in such cases. I have curbed down that feel to adrenaline and grown more mature than ever.

The thing is if you carry a licenced gun it may prove to be deterrent for miscreant. If you see in this post the biker gang might have had an ulterior motive and to defend yourself when outnumbered you have to go extreme. This is my Personal Opinion!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:46. Reason: Spacing
Old 24th July 2019, 18:03   #34
BHPian

Having dashcam makes a world of difference.

I was subjected to road rage, where the other guy was coming in the wrong direction and got abusive that I am not allowing him to do whatever he wanted to. I pointed to the dashcam and he simply took a U turn and vanished.

May not happen always.

The other essential thing that I keep in my car is a pepper spray. Did not use it in last 5 years.

Not sure if it comes with an expiry date. Will it be more dangerous if it expires?

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:47. Reason: Spacing
FORTified is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 16:42   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTified View Post
Not sure if it comes with an expiry date. Will it be more dangerous if it expires?

In that case everyone will want an old one. Similar to old wine, older the pepper spray costlier it is.
Garth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 23:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The other essential thing that I keep in my car is a pepper spray. Did not use it in last 5 years.
I checked mine and it does come with an expiry date. Wondering how to test if it has lost its effectiveness or become more potent.
Old 26th July 2019, 00:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did not use it in last 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I checked mine and it does come with an expiry date. Wondering how to test if it has lost its effectiveness or become more potent.
Small chances that it might have lost the pressure and might not 'spray'. The pressure inside might be intact only for a few years. Experienced that with an air freshener once.
Old 26th July 2019, 10:03   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
DONT.

Don't even get tempted to test it.

I did it once

I odor wasn't very strong but it caused a lot of coughing.

I sprayed it away, in the direction of the wind and just one squirt. That was enough.

So, just trust it.

I am thinking, any pain relief spray like Moov or Voveran also may be effective enough, if you aim it to the face. All you need is inducing few moments of shock.

AND, these sprays can be tested too, and can be used for other purposes.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:47. Reason: Spacing
FORTified is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 09:57   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
DONT.
Don't even get tempted to test it.

I did it once
I odor wasn't very strong but it caused a lot of coughing.
I sprayed it away, in the direction of the wind and just one squirt. That was enough.

So, just trust it....
Let me add to that part of DO NOT TEST IT.

Same here, just one quick spray, inside the house - enough said.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:48. Reason: Spacing
HappyWheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 13:48   #40
BHPian

Hi.. It’s been a long time since I posted.

Sorry to hear about your experience and glad you and family are safe. I am a frequent rider on that stretch (Palghat - Bangalore) (Palghat - Chennai) using both 2 wheeler and car and the L&T stretch 25-30km is very notorious for criminal activities since a very long time.

You have to be very careful and not stop for any fallen down two wheelers or other people asking for lift as these are traps and also cases like yours and egg throwing incidents, In that stretch always ensure you have others cars with along you while crossing it. Better safe than sorry and if for any reason you need to stop only stop at at the toll plazas which are well lit.

Safe journey !

Last edited by ampere : 29th July 2019 at 21:50. Reason: removed non-forum smilies
Old 29th July 2019, 14:09   #41
BHPian

I've always found it difficult to let go during road rage incidents, taking abuses when there is no mistake of yours is a difficult ask from me. After installing a dashcam it has been a lot easier convincing the other party to walk away.

Let me recall an incident 3 years back. I was passing through BEL underpass in bangalore in my ecosport, I see a suspicious-looking biker parked to the left scanning passing vehicles. I thought he is waiting for someone. I reach the end of the underpass and this guy in the bike pulls ahead of me and asks me to stop the car. On enquiring the reason, he told that I brushed his bike and he fell over.

I pulled over the car as he had blocked my way, recognized this guy and confronted him that he had parked his bike and how come I hit him, he fell, got up and chased me so quickly. It was hardly 400 meters since I had seen him. I still apologized to him and checked if he had injuries, he did not have any. He showed a small scratch to his bike and asked me to pay for it. I refused and he started arguing.

I tried calling one of my friends and he snatched my phone for doing so. Then I see a traffic policeman standing 400 meters, I ask him to come to the policeman so that we can discuss the situation with him.
Now he picks a big stone which was nearby and points it to my car windshield, he tells me to pay or he will hit, my mobile was still with him.

I surrendered and paid 1000rs then he returned my mobile phone and he left.

Later I approached the traffic policemen and he noted the number of the bike. I couldn't pursue it further as I had to leave quickly as I had an official trip that evening.

All this happened in broad daylight inside Bangalore city and I could not do anything at that moment. I only regretted not installing a dashcam.

What I have realized over time is that there is no fixed way to deal with road rage or a scam. Each situation is different.

1>Install a dashcam
2>Hope it captures the incident
3>Hope you have enough time(he gives time) to show it to the other party during the arguments.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 14:48. Reason: Spacing for improvement in readability
sunilg33 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 19:44   #42
BHPian

Post this incident, I have installed a 70 Mai pro dashcam. I had a transcend dashcam earlier and I lost it somewhere during car servicing. I never thought that I would require a dashcam again.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 20:36   #43
Distinguished - BHPian

Glad that nothing serious happened. Always best not to engage with such idiots. My cousin had a similar incident few months back. He too didn't aggravate the situation further.

Good that you bought a dashcam. Highly recommended, especially in Kerala. I have around 14 videos waiting to be uploaded to the "bad drivers" thread soon of which in one video an auto dude verbally abused my wife (have submitted the video to the cops). Video evidence does make a lot of difference.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2019, 10:27   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
... I never thought that I would require a dashcam again.

Why would you ever think so?
Old 31st July 2019, 20:36   #45
BHPian

These biker gangs are very active in Greater Calcutta at night, daytime traffic being too dense. Two or three per bike, without helmets, they race the flyovers in 'Fast & Furious ' style, and often suffer fatal crashes. Banning two wheelers on flyovers after 11 pm has not helped much.
But more relevant to the topic, they chase private cars/ app cabs with lone (male or female) passengers and behave in similar fashion -- object to being overtaken, or stop suddenly in front and claim damages, or simply behave in drunk and disorderly fashion.

Trying to avoid confrontation , as far as possible, is the best way, but sometimes they will take more advantage of the victim then. In a famous recent case, a former Miss India started recording them on her phone, enraging the gang further. Till then they were bent on extorting the app cab driver, but now they turned their attention to her, trying to snatch the phone, abusing her verbally and physically. This being at an important cross roads, three police stations whose areas start/end there refused to come to her aid. Being a celebrity, she got tremendous support over Twitter and FB, and the culprits were promptly arrested the next day.

But such incidents keep happening, at night within city, or anytime on the open highways. Even with a very official looking white Gypsy, I faced a situation once, with three guys sans helmets on a bike. Ever since I keep a can of pepper spray and a stun-gun type of torch in the glove compartment. God knows whether they will work in an emergency, but knowing that you are armed sometimes gives you greater confidence to tackle the situation calmly !

Firearms are not the solution. Even if you have the connections to get a license, there will be hell to pay (legally) if the situation forces you to use it, even if in self defence. And one may get lynched for even firing into the air, if the hooligans are in their area with supporters gathering. Plus the bother of taking it to the PS/District Collector's Office every year to show for renewal of license, and depositing it in PS before every election or any such event. The rules may vary from state to state, but only a VIP can tackle the hassles connected with gun ownership.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks