Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:44   #16
BHPian

Re: Fastag 2.0: Now, use Fastag 2.0 to pay for fuel on highways

It does not look like a good idea as long as we are not aware of safety measures put in place or implementing it without any safety measures put in place.

It is still a thought experiments and I believe enough consideration to safeguard the interest of consumers has to be factored in before making it a norm.

We know that this idea could work for many field payments but there could be a slip between cup and the lip for this one.
Old 2nd August 2019, 13:50   #17
BHPian

Have been thinking about the benefits of Fastag 2.0 before I could post anything meaningful in this thread. From Car owners' prospective, I don't see immediate advantages, they can always pay cash or use Cards to refuel.

Then who could be the targeted audience of this initiative - well, truckers and commercial vehicles drivers! These vehicles travel long distances, away from their local areas and as of now, not many of these drivers carry Cards. They rely on cash payments to get the fuel. Carrying cash is always a risk, prone to theft and robberies. The concept of Fastag 2.0 can ease of their burden, owners can get these 'tags' for their trucks and let drivers refuel from anywhere. Owners/transporters can also track the fuel quantity, time and tag amount being used by the truckers and drivers need to carry minimal cash.

Obviously safeguards have to be put into the place, it should work seamlessly and Customer Care actually needs to provide real time support.

Toll FASTag implementation has been a hit or miss until now, let us see what is in store for Fastag 2.0.

Last edited by Motor_Nut : 2nd August 2019 at 14:11. Reason: Added transporters
Motor_Nut is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 21:28   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Better would be just an OTP to the car owner's smartphone for any charges other than toll.

Next up could be payment for your traffic offences (e.g. speeding camera cum fine collector).
This is a terrible thought and I hope this does not happen. A speeding (or any moving) violation has to allow an opportunity to mount a defense. What if the camera calibration is off or any other reasons the finding is wrong.

Knowing how citizen friendly our government(s) and laws are, such a thing is bound to happen without any push-backs sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Aditya : 4th August 2019 at 19:43. Reason: Typos
Asifgrkhan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 07:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post

Ola has my money but decides to give me a credit facility, fine. But why it decides to charge me extra for the credit and does not first use the money in my balance, WITHOUT MY CONSENT, is a question I cannot get an answer for. Where do I go for redressal? Same case when the FreshMenu app suddenly decides to confirm my order all by itself. No redressal without a long drawn email exchange.

Before all these wonderful digital, touchless wonders come to our shores, "our government" should make sure that systems for protecting the citizens are in place first
Where do i go for redressal ? short answer - RBI. Ola money wallet is a kind of PPI (Prepaid payment Instrument) and comes under the supervisory powers of RBI.

Also in January this year, RBI has specifically come with an Ombudsman scheme for Digital transactions to address deficiency of services related to digital transactions. The scheme has a separate section for wallets and the grounds on which you can complain.

On a general note, in today's era where digital transactions and new payment methods are on the rise, its good to know to whom and on what grounds you can complain if you are unhappy with a digital payment service provider.

Refer the RBI circular here
https://cms.rbi.org.in/cms/Documents...ons%202019.pdf
Attached Images

Bluehead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 09:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Better would be just an OTP to the car owner's smartphone for any charges other than toll.
Asking for OTP or any other 2FA (Two factor Authentication) has its own plus and minus. E.g OTP assumes that

a) owner is always carrying smart phone
b) Mobile network is good for receiving the OTP
C) Owner is doing the transaction. May not work for truck drivers (one of the largest target segment )

plus the additional costs involved in sending SMS / email and aggregation charges.

Being a banker I must say RBI usually does a good job in these. They usually release a white paper, consult member banks opinion before they introduce new features.

Maybe for transactions above a threshold of say 500 inr / 1000 inr , any 2FA like OTP would be a fine idea

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks