Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2019, 16:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How safe are Uber/Ola for women at night

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
In a street brawl martial arts is useless, People with black belts can get beaten in a street brawl. what schools should be teaching is a combination of wrestling and Boxing
This situation here is not about a street brawl but a situation of a passenger being threatened and probably being assaulted by the driver.

Martial arts gives one mental strength; yes, any other self defence mechanism is also fine.

That was the point I was trying to put across.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 16:37   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
This situation here is not about a street brawl but a situation of a passenger being threatened and probably being assaulted by the driver.

Martial arts gives one mental strength; yes, any other self defence mechanism is also fine.

That was the point I was trying to put across.
Agree, By street brawl I meant restricted space, Martial arts provides minimal support from the upper body and most of the action happens from the lower body in the form of kicks. I hope you get my point.

I know a lot of people will read these threads and their takeaway would be to teach some self defense(preferably martial arts), However in such scenarios one must be able to throw a good punch and protect themselves by blocking an attack till the opponent gets reasonably tired to strike back. I am not against martial arts however in this specific scenario martial arts is like "bringing a knife to a gunfight"

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 18:10   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
What happened to the Ola/Uber women cabs, driven only by women? It will be safer to use this facility during night times.
I am not aware of the service. For a lady passenger yes this would be safer. However, think about plight of women drivers in this services.

Actual issue is not Ola/Uber drivers, its lack of women safety in our country in general. While the magnitude of issues may be different, I don't think there is any single big town in India where women can feel safe alone in the night.

You cannot create islands of safety by having token items like coloring existing police patrol cars to pink.
mpksuhas is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 18:58   #19
BHPian

I really feel nothing is safe. We are left with sole responsibility of our own safety. Two things to take care of (apart from all the suggestions given by other bhpians)
1: teach them driving, even if you don't drive to work and prefer to use cabs. Will explain in detail in last paragraph.
2: keep a self defence device handy all time. I assume a single woman traveller will always be seated in rear seat and only driver in front.
Will have ample time and space to use them.

Keep a bottle of pepper spray handy. Even if it's use is suggested in extreme condition, but even with case of an unruly driver for the incidence shared in OP, can come in handy to teach such morons a lesson. Keep it in hand for entire journey or till the point it's established that it is safe from here on.

Few available at Amazon on following link :

https://www.amazon.in/s?k=pepper+spr...nb_sb_ss_i_2_7

I have a bottle of bodyguard and cobra with my sister and wife. One from Cobra is killer (literally), but not available easily. I accidently tested it at home. And it took me sometime to gain normalcy.

There are brass knuckles available as well, if ever a punch is needed.

Having said that, if used may leave the lady in same situation as the lady in OP was left in: stranded in open; but will have something with her to protect herself till rescue arrives.
Hence, Most importantly, do teach them driving. Reason to say so is: if necessity arises, knock out the driver with any of the above or other mechanism, drive the car till nearest safe point by themselves (or to a police station). Give him another dose (or handover to police) and carry on with rescuers.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 7th August 2019 at 19:11.
saurabh2711 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 20:15   #20
BHPian

It is very disappointing that most women have to always carry this extra burden of worrying about their safety from both physical and verbal abuse.

While things like practice of martial arts, carrying safety devices, etc may have helpful, they will surely not be enough.

An article I was reading long time back suggested that one of the safest places for women travelling in cabs is the seat directly behind the driver. The logic was that the driver then will not be able to reach out with his hands to do any physical damage.

With the proliferation of ride-sharing apps, it appears that many are moving away from the hassle and harassment of the cabs in favor of the relatively cleaner, professional, and courteous ride-sharing apps (quickride etc).

At the moment, I think the ride-sharing options are relatively a safer option.

If the cops (patrolling or otherwise) were reliable, it would make sense to have their number handy for a quick sos.

It is too ideal a situation to expect the people around to check their character traits. It should of course continue to be reinforced in various forms (early education, media campaigns, stricter punishments, being good examples in our own personal lives, etc.). At the end, the most critical controls against such harassment will come down to personal precautions (like self driving).
Old 7th August 2019, 22:35   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
You cannot create islands of safety by having token items like coloring existing police patrol cars to pink.

Totally agree!
In Kerala, we have a 'Pink Patrol' - Pink police patrol cars with lady officers but I've always wondered if it was of any use other than surveillance. All I've seen them do was park in shade around busy areas, sit inside the car (usually VW Ameos) and chill. I've heard that they do a bit of moral policing catching teenage couples and calling up their parents. They don't patrol after 8pm too! What's the whole point if they're not around when they're needed the most..
TSIboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:03   #22
BHPian

I believe all Ola/Uber cabs should be made to have a mandatory in-cab camera monitoring the cabin and also the roads. Something like the Kent Cam Eye
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ml#post4572406 (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)

In case of a distress call from the customer, the company can switch to the feed to review the situation. Plus the company can also review the driving patterns of the driver, whether he talks on the phone while driving or not etc.

Obviously, the only caveat is that the customer should be comfortable having a camera pointed at them at all times.
Old 8th August 2019, 09:36   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Keep a bottle of pepper spray handy. Even if it's use is suggested in extreme condition, but even with case of an unruly driver for the incidence shared in OP, can come in handy to teach such morons a lesson. Keep it in hand for entire journey or till the point it's established that it is safe from here on.
While having pepper spray handy can offer some sense of security, you should never ever spray it in a confined space. You may incapacitate the cab driver in this case, you will also end up being incapacitated.

Most people, when in a fight or flight situation, will actually tense up and freeze. That's why self-defence classes are important. They teach you how to be mentally prepared, how to appropriately attack and flee from the situation.

There's a fascinating book called Gift of Fear by Gavin De Becker which talks about using your gut instinct to keep yourself safe from violent situations.

Now coming back to Ola/Uber being safe for women at night, I don't think they are safe. We will keep on seeing a repeat of incidents like the one mentioned. The general apathy from faceless organisations and the police will continue. That's why everyone should learn how to protect themselves. Learn at least a few basic self-defence techniques, always be mentally prepared for things to go south, and visualise different threats and how you will get out from them.
cataclysm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 10:29   #24
BHPian

It is really impossible to police such a large number of drivers. It has to be done at multiple levels.
We need to hold the cab aggregators responsible. There no single unified system to track offenders so one can commit crime multiple time with impunity.

Also it is very difficult to change the mindset and culture of the drivers, it has to be driven both by education or training and strong punishment.

Political will is lacking for either of the above, they form a large voter base. Much of the migrant population do not vote and hence cities like Bangalore will suffer
Old 8th August 2019, 12:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
The question is what is Uber doing with the driver ratings and feedback?
Nothing.

Quote:
Why are drivers who are reported for bad behaviour not being banned from the platform?
Loss of business.

Quote:
More to the point, after speaking to the passenger and realizing the gravity of the situation, why on earth did Uber not call the police?!
Incompetence.

Quote:
Ridiculous company, ridiculous brand!
That's why they are the largest loss making company in the world.
AMG Power is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 14:43   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The question is what is Uber doing with the driver ratings and feedback? Why are drivers who are reported for bad behaviour not being banned from the platform? More to the point, after speaking to the passenger and realizing the gravity of the situation, why on earth did Uber not call the police?! Ridiculous company, ridiculous brand!

I think they are using the low ratings to make money from the drivers, by deducting money from drivers who have low ratings.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:08   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Uber has some competitive pressures to deal with, which we may not think of. There are other competing app-based cabs they have to deal with; these competitors lure drivers away from Uber and they even had to give up their Malaysian business to Grab. In Chennai, FastTrack taxis (who pioneered the call-taxi business in the early 2000s) have launched their own copycat app. In their bid to get Uber's pie, these competitors could well be luring drivers by being lenient towards the drivers, among other perks.

I couldn't help but note the difference between an Uber and a FastTrack taxi; the latter's cabs are ill-maintained and one of their drivers drove me home from the airport while all the while watching a soap opera on YouTube with one hand. (Don't ask me why I did nothing; I have no answer.) I don't think you'll ever have such experiences with Uber.
Old 8th August 2019, 15:42   #28
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
There are brass knuckles available as well, if ever a punch is needed.... if necessity arises, knock out the driver with any of the above or other mechanism, drive the car till nearest safe point by themselves (or to a police station). Give him another dose (or handover to police) and carry on with rescuers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
That's why self-defence classes are important. They teach you how to be mentally prepared, how to appropriately attack and flee from the situation.
Every woman learning self-defense is not a practical solution. In fact, every man can't do it. Ability to fight back is an attitude. Unless you are born with that attitude, or extensively trained for that, it won't happen. In fact, in most cases where the victim fought back and survived against an aggressor in a street fight or robbery, the victim was totally untrained in any self defense or martial arts. They just had the right attitude and fought back like a pit-bull. Most people have no interest in fighting physically. They will not bother learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
I couldn't help but note the difference between an Uber and a FastTrack taxi; the latter's cabs are ill-maintained and one of their drivers drove me home from the airport while all the while watching a soap opera on YouTube with one hand. (Don't ask me why I did nothing; I have no answer.)
Is this how he was holding his phone?
Attached Thumbnails
How safe are Uber/Ola for women at night-knife.jpg  

Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2019, 16:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

In Mumbai, my experience with Ola has been much worse than in Uber. Though most drivers behave in Mumbai and have never typically messed with me for anything. (I treat all drivers with respect and I guess they reciprocate, me being a local may be helping).

Most bad drivers I have experienced have been when the driver is very young (below 25 years). Another scenarios where they get irritated is when their higher tier cab gets booked in a lower tier category (prime vs micro).

But the lack of action by UBER is pathetic.

My experience with Bangalore cab drivers has not been so smooth though, me not speaking the local language makes it obvious that I am a non-local and the driver can more often than not bully you in such a scenario. In Bangalore, UBER and OLA are equally worse.

I have started trying CEO CABS in Mumbai, they have been ok but I have taken only 3-4 rides with them so far.

FYI, my wife has a pepper spray all the time on her.

Last edited by 2000rpm : 8th August 2019 at 16:17.
Old 8th August 2019, 16:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Rather than discussing, I think it would be good idea to create a check-list for women who take taxis at late hours or alone or both.

Let me begin with below:
> Before boarding, briefly talk to driver & take cursory check of car interiors - both front & back.
> Call anyone & share taxi details with family or friend OR just make fake call ensuring that driver can hear it.
> Lady should sit right behind driver and keep an eye on him through IRVM.
> As soonest seated, lady must check that both side doors can be opened from inside - i.e. Child Lock is NOT active
> Remove any or all window shades, if fitted in car
> Lady should keep an eye that both hands of driver are either on steering wheel or one on steering & another on gear shift but always in her view.
> Keep one foot firmly wedged so that sudden braking will not throw her off
> NEVER EVER use mobile phone for listening to music or watch a movie/program - avoid distraction.
> Keep a water bottle loosely capped. Throwing anything at driver/attacker, even as simple as water, will give precious seconds to escape from taxi.

Please add more...

Regards,
Sonu
ariesonu is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed